Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now
Profile for Emile Zola reader > Reviews

Content by Emile Zola reader
Top Reviewer Ranking: 727

Emile Zola reader "Gervaise" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Post-it Recycled Notes - Pastel Rainbow Pink, Light Green, Grass Green, Grey - 12 Pads Per Pack (Assorted) - 100 Sheets Per Pad - 38 mm x 51 mm

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, and handy little Post-its., 11 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These vibrant little Post-it notes are very eye-catching. The quality of recycled paper is no different to others in the Post-it range; whether you use gel or fountain pen ink, it doesn’t bleed, and debris does not collect around the nib. The adhesive strip is firm, and the note stays put even when placed in a vertical position.

The Post-its are small, so you won’t be able to leave detailed notes, but they are large enough to jot down short messages. They are the ideal markers for use with study books/manuals, etc., and the range of colours is perfect for sub-dividing different categories. I use these little notes in place of a bookmark because they don’t damage the page, and they can be reapplied a number of times without losing their stickiness. They are very handy, and I like them.

Busy B Floral 2017-18 Academic Diary
Busy B Floral 2017-18 Academic Diary

5.0 out of 5 stars The best-designed diary I've ever seen., 11 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is one of the best-designed diaries that I’ve ever had. The cover is sturdy, yet flexible, and it has both an elasticated closure band and a loop for holding a pen or pencil. There is also a ribbon bookmarker that is firmly attached to the spine, and the manufacturer hasn’t skimped on the length, so it is clearly visible and accessible. I love the generous sized reminder column on each page for weekly notes - many diaries have a tiny space at the end of a page for this – and I especially like the week to view over two pages for dual entries/schedules.
There are clear and plentiful sections given for notes, timetables, references and contacts, so you won’t be reduced to making squashed or shorthand reminders. For every three-monthly cycle, there is a double page of graph planner with a corner pocket. The inserts are deep enough to hold receipts securely, but would be a little inadequate for someone with daily parking/expense receipts over a three-month period.

If you lead a busy life and have need of a good quality diary with more than the average space for making notes and reminders, you may wish to give this a try.

A German Requiem (Bernie Gunther)
A German Requiem (Bernie Gunther)
by Philip Kerr

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous times in post-war Vienna., 11 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoyed reading Kerr’s previous books, March Violets and The Pale Criminal set in Berlin during the rise of the Nazi party, and the years leading up to the Second World War. Bernie Gunther has survived the war, and is trying to resurrect his once successful career as a private investigator. With money and food in short supply, and his marriage on the brink of collapse, he accepts a lucrative assignment in Vienna to try to save an ex-colleague from the gallows.

Each of the Bernie Gunther books can be read as stand-alone novels, but for continuity, I’d recommend that you begin with the previous ones. Kerr’s plots are action-packed and full of intrigue; as Gunther delves into the murky world of war criminals and politics, nothing is quite what it seems. Although a work of fiction, the book appears to be an authentic portrayal of post-war Vienna – it has been likened to the film The Third Man – and I enjoyed reading it from a German perspective. I like Kerr’s style of writing, but if I had one criticism, it would be Gunther’s ‘Philip Marlowe’ type of humour. It’s dated and corny in this day and age; however, this didn’t detract from what is a very enjoyable, exciting tale - and I look forward to the next one.

Scotch® Papier-Packband/P5050 braun B50xL50m
Scotch® Papier-Packband/P5050 braun B50xL50m

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality paper tape., 8 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unlike plastic-faced tapes, this pulls from roll with little effort required. Although you can tear a strip from roll, it tends to be ragged - so you will need to use scissors for a straight edge. It adheres well to paper and card, and what I especially like, is you can write on it, which is ideal for labeling boxes prior to storage, etc. There are probably cheaper, similar products available, so is this worth the difference? I like the Scotch brand - and at 50m, it probably is.

Air Wick VIPoo 55 ml Lemon Idol Spray
Air Wick VIPoo 55 ml Lemon Idol Spray

5.0 out of 5 stars It works very well!, 8 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A member of our family creates a very unpleasant smell every day when sitting on the toilet – so bad that the window has to be left open. I must have spent a fortune on various air fresheners over the years in an attempt to mask what I can only describe as a stench.

This product comes in a small plastic bottle; it is easy to use, and environmentally friendly compared to an aerosol. Five squirts directly into the toilet bowl water before use worked like magic! It was so good, that I ventured into the room shortly after it was vacated, and all I could smell was a pleasant lemon fragrance, which wasn’t overpowering. It’s miraculous stuff, and I have already placed an order for more.

Post-It Index Strong Filing Tabs, Pink, Green, Orange (12 of each colour)
Post-It Index Strong Filing Tabs, Pink, Green, Orange (12 of each colour)

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't fault them., 8 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are good quality filing tabs. They are not as thick as others that I’ve used in the past, but they are more flexible and easy to position. The rounded corners are much better than squared-off ones, which can be sharp if they catch your skin. I’ve been using this brand of filing tabs for some time now - and I have them in my diary and various reference books. Despite repeated handling, they haven’t detached from the paper, still look good, and I use them every night when I am reading. I never liked traditional bookmarks and these colourful little tabs are perfect for keeping your place in a book. I’ve read many books using a single tab as a marker, and the adhesive has remained effective and at the same time didn’t leave a residue.

Post-it 654-1B 76mm x 76mm Recycled Notes Pad Tower Pack - Pastel Yellow (Box of 6, 100 Sheets Per Pad)

5.0 out of 5 stars Recycled - but the same high quality., 5 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like this block of six individual pads of Post-it notes contained in a convenient cardboard holder. Although they are both made of recycled paper, the same high quality of regular Post-it notes is retained. I tested the paper using both gel and fountain pens, and there was no bleeding through to the underside, nor did the nibs collect debris from the surface. The adhesive strip is as strong as standard Post-its, and the fact that the whole package is environmentally friendly adds to the appeal.

RED WAGON Boy's Jersey Quilted Gilet, Blue (Navy), 5 Years
RED WAGON Boy's Jersey Quilted Gilet, Blue (Navy), 5 Years

5.0 out of 5 stars Trendy, smart - and very well-made., 4 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a well-made, snug little gilet that looks much more expensive than it is. The outer fabric is 100% cotton and the lining is 94% polyester and 6% elastane. The full-length zip is a good weight, which is important on children’s wear, because youngsters tend to subject them to more punishment than adults. The zip glides smoothly and easily and the pull tag has no joins, so it’s not going to come away from the slider.
The concealed snap fasteners are firmly anchored to the fabric, which is good, because our boy has a habit of pulling a row of poppers open in one go.

I’ve laundered this garment three times on a 40c wash and hanger-dried it - the washing instructions advise against tumble-drying. There was no shrinkage or fading.
Age 5 gilet measurements were:
Chest 74cm (29”).
Nape to hem length is 38cm (15”).

I am impressed with both the quality and the price of this smart and trendy garment, and I have no hesitation in awarding it 5 stars.

Maybelline Push Up Angel Mascara Very Black
Maybelline Push Up Angel Mascara Very Black

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant formula, but I would have preferred a straight brush., 3 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was very pleased with the performance of this mascara, but it wasn’t ideal for my lower lashes. I like the contoured design of the slimline brush for my top lashes - the curve of the bristles align nicely along the eyelid - and the brush holds a good amount of mascara and coats the lashes well. The actual formula is first rate; the consistency is very good and it doesn’t clog lashes when applying a second coat. My top lashes looked thicker and longer and I was very impressed.

My lower lashes are not as thick or as long as my top ones, nor is the curvature of the lids the same as the uppers. I found that if I applied the brush using the middle section, I was left with smudges. Using the very thin end of the brush instead, I had to keep loading it with more mascara in order to get a decent coating. This was more time consuming than using a normal thickness brush.

I won’t be buying this particular mascara in future. However, I was very impressed with the quality of the brush - if not the curve - and the no-clog formula. I will definitely look at other Maybelline mascaras and hope that they have this same formula with a regular sized brush.

Scotch 1441B 12cm Kids Scissors Blunt Tip - Blue/Magenta
Scotch 1441B 12cm Kids Scissors Blunt Tip - Blue/Magenta
Offered by RAREWAVES

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and comfortable to use for our left-handed youngster., 3 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are well-designed and sturdy scissors and ideal for little hands. We have a left-handed six year-old and he had no problems at all using them. The finger grips are gently rounded and are large enough for my fingers, so I can also confirm that they are comfortable to use. They open and close with ease, and although the tips are quite blunt, the blades can cut through card with ease. For this reason, I wouldn’t recommend leaving a very young, inexperienced child unsupervised when using them. Our youngster can handle scissors quite safely, and enjoyed the ease at which this pair cut around various shapes on card and paper. They seem well made and I’d be surprised if they didn’t last for some years to come.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20