Profile for Miss Don > Reviews

Clangers Pop Up Froglets
Clangers Pop Up Froglets
Offered by Gameseek

3.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive, 8 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Clangers Pop Up Froglets (Toy)
Read carefully! Does not include all three froglet colours! For this price I think it should - although it is a fairly sturdy plastic, it is still just a small and pointless thing. Wish I had not spent this money.

House of Fools - Series 1 [DVD] [2014]
House of Fools - Series 1 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Vic Reeves

5.0 out of 5 stars I have alterior motives, 28 Feb. 2014
Yes it was good. Totally brilliant. BBC are not actually feeling the pulse of comedy at the moment though are they, if it's true that they've cancelled HoF. Never mind. Don't get spriggan about it, it won't stop the cast mucking about on their own time, and it won't stop C4 buying their next output either if they have any sense. I would commission literally anything with Morgana in, and DR Skinner is our culture's best kept Ferrell-style secret, it's just that he keeps his powder dry like a smart lad. Mortimer is the funniest, funniest man, and totally the best I have ever seen him on HoF. I'm only on here to cross reference the release date with the crud I read on the BBC site, only to find it is a whole 11month wait for the dvd. I don't use this site, for humanitarian reasons.

One And All [Mint Pack]
One And All [Mint Pack]

5.0 out of 5 stars A Musical Definition of Unity, 3 Sept. 2013
This review is from: One And All [Mint Pack] (Audio CD)
I LOVE this. The Fisherman's Friends are the folk antidote to the ego-warbling, sledgehammer market-trading x-factor idiocy that seems intent on sullying the sacred art of singing... Singing isn't about "look at me, aint I loud, don't you love me?" or at least it shouldn't be. In my opinion, song is most beautiful when performed without ego. These shanties are just ringing with the unity a good work song requires, and the ballads and laments are full of grief and also the healing power that comes when that grief is exorcised through song. Yes, i do realise the tracks were all recorded prior to the dreadful accident, but when i first listened to this album, i felt positive that the track order was very specifically arranged to speak volumes about the status quo. Two jaunty, classic shanties start off the dialogue, but by track three I defy anyone to not be wrecked emotionally - following Trevor Grills on lead vocals for the anthemic single "Mary Anne" there come by turns tracks that, in their content are so loaded with sadness, anger and grief that I myself am yet to get through the remainder of the album without sobbing... though also singing and dancing even whilst the tears run down. This group of Cornishmen define so perfectly the power of music, it's importance within community, culture and history, the magic by which an arrangement of sounds can move us - body and soul. I also really love the simple and traditional arrangement of various pipes, flutes and whistles which accompany the vocals - these are some of the most ancient instrumental sounds used for music and i can think of no better companions for the very zenith of spiritual and soulful human voices evidenced on "ONE AND ALL". This is the best of Cornish: maybe the language isn't spoken but the lingo is strong and the cadence most melifluous! Lets hope they're over there in Port Isaac keeping it strong - like the Moravians on board The Simmonds when the mast snapped in two... SING ON!
** I had to edit, to assure any reader that there is PLENTY levity as well on 'One And All'! It would defeat the point of reviewing if I put anyone off. There are at least 6 classically jaunty shanties, about 4 defiantly optimistic anthems, and 4 that get me all choked - heritage, shared experiece and brotherhood just does that to me! My three-year-old shanty super-fan is half way to word perfect and jumping around like a loon to the whole 47:44. Onen hag oll!

Jacks Super Craft Chest
Jacks Super Craft Chest

1.0 out of 5 stars rip off, 28 May 2013
This review is from: Jacks Super Craft Chest (Toy)
someone got this for my kid as a gift. i cannot get my head around the price of £25. I could get absolutely everything that's inside for around a fiver by shopping for it all separately in the craft section of the local department store. fact.

The King of Capri
The King of Capri
by Jeanette Winterson

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely&lyrical, 27 May 2013
This review is from: The King of Capri (Paperback)
The writing is of unmistakably superior quality - dunno what it is, turn of phrase or ingenuity or something. The illustrations are gorgeous.

Free Time 4 Kids Parachute
Free Time 4 Kids Parachute

5.0 out of 5 stars big, bright fun, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Free Time 4 Kids Parachute (Toy)
This is big enough to have a lot of fun with - I think the smaller ones are ok but big is better with parachutes i think. The seams have been checked - I can report no faults or flaws. 4 adults can control this while toddlers scamper around beneath, even on a windy hillside.

(Scribble) Kids Frog Umbrella
(Scribble) Kids Frog Umbrella

5.0 out of 5 stars frog, 27 May 2013
it doesn't have any faults. It's a green frog umbrella. If you want a green frog umbrella, get this green frog umbrella. I did, and look where it's got me.

Jazz For Kids: Sing, Clap, Wiggle, And Shake
Jazz For Kids: Sing, Clap, Wiggle, And Shake

5.0 out of 5 stars cool, 27 May 2013
This is really cool! Its not silly kiddy music, its proper jazz greats. But it does have songs about chickens and farms and will make you all dance about like loons. Really good party music.

The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Proven Strategies to Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind
by Tina Payne Bryson

3.0 out of 5 stars American, 27 May 2013
I wish i hadn't bothered getting this - i haven't finished reading it having stopped out of boredom - as i have got most of the information the book is based on from other sources. I'm sorry but a lot of American child-psychology self-help books seem to be written for myopic, stressy parents of 'basically average kids'. I bought this to try to connect better with my 3year-old's best friend who was going through a very turbulent stage, and i wanted to find how to be to keep him calm because all sorts of normal stuff was causing him anger. This was not the right book. Time and his wonderful mother are all he needs. This book has a lot of good ideas for parents who haven't got a clue, hence the three stars I've rated it, but I would sum it up thusly: Don't be a tyrant or treat your children like things you 'got' that should 'work properly'. They're human, not hardware. Be kind. End of lesson.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2016 11:26 PM GMT

Red Kangaroo (A Day in the Life: Desert Animals)
Red Kangaroo (A Day in the Life: Desert Animals)
by Anita Ganeri

5.0 out of 5 stars JOEYS!!, 27 May 2013
My 3year old loves kangaroos after seeing kangaroo dundee with me. this book is really, really simple, but provides a good overview of a kangaroo's life with lots of photos and print big enough for young readers. The two photos of joeys, one newborn and one fledgling (?) are suitable adorable. Also has a small glossary.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3