Profile for Katherine > Reviews

Content by Katherine
Top Reviewer Ranking: 646

Katherine (Bristol, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Levivo Silicone Baking Tray / Silicone Cake Pan 24 cm, Grey
Levivo Silicone Baking Tray / Silicone Cake Pan 24 cm, Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars A superior alternative to the traditional cake tin, 29 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A friend of mine always seems to be able to produce lovely little cakes in the blink of an eye with seemingly little effort or preparation beforehand nor any subsequent fuss during clear up and when I asked her what her secret was, she told me that it was silicone bakeware.

Unlike traditional metal bakeware, silicone is amazingly non-stick, so the cakes literally pop out and therefore don't need greasing and lining nor do they take time to soak and scrub, as what little remains on the silicone comes off with a gentle wipe as you wash it up - or you can stick it in the dishwasher if you so choose and it will come out ready to use again.

The advantage of this particular range of silicone bakeare over others is that it has been re-enforced with an internal metal layer in the top, which helps to maintain the structure of the tray, so that you don't inadvertently get a kink in the silicone as you are moving it and spill the contents everywhere. The metal re-enforced part is just at the top edge, not in the dip of the mould/tray, so that you don't get any unwanted residual heat around the cake after you have finished cooking it and the silicone cools down much faster than a metal tin would. The metal is inside the silicone, but you do need to be aware that it does get hot, so you just need to be careful taking things out of the oven and ensure you use your oven gloves even if they have been out of the oven for a few minutes as the edges will still be hot.

Having used another item in this range, the Levivo Silicone Financier Cakes/Brownie Baking Tin for 20 Cakes - 30 x 22 cm Grey, I knew how well the silicone works and was confident to put the cake batter in without any pre-greasing or dusting and true to form, once bake, the cake was incredibly easy to just pop out of the mould onto the cooling rack.

There is definitely less fuss before you can get your cake into the oven if you don't have to grease and line, the fact that silicone is so wonderfully non-stick, it is really easy to clean afterwards and if you don't want to handwash, then this can be put into the dishwasher and will come out clean and ready to use again.

This is such a lovely range of more sturdy silicone bakeware than most items on the market and I will definitely be buying more from the range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for making beautiful little financiers - time-saving before (no greasing required) and after cooking (easy to clean), 29 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The advantage of this particular range of silicone bakeare over others is that it has been re-enforced with an internal metal layer in the top, which helps to maintain the structure of the tray, but this isn't carried down into the moulds, so that you don't get any unwanted residual heat after you have finished cooking your cakes and the silicone cools down much faster. The metal inside does get hot, so just be careful taking things out of the oven and ensure you use your oven gloves even if they have been out of the oven for a few minutes as the edges will still be hot.

The first batch of cakes we made were lemon drizzle financiers and they were really successful. The first tray we made, I nervously greased the moulds with a smidgen of butter and dusted with icing sugar just in case, but it was soon clear that my belt and braces approach wasn't necessary at all and the second batch I just put in the cake mixture and low and behold the cakes popped out clean as a whistle!

The cakes created by this mould are like traditional financier blocks of gold - ever so slightly wider at the top than the bottom and create a lovely mini-cake which is about 3 or 4 bites for me or 1 for my husband!

I absolutely love this range from Levivo and I also have a cake mould from the same range which is just as good and I will be buying more from this range in future. Levivo Silicone Baking Tray / Silicone Cake Pan 24 cm, Grey
Comment Comment | Permalink

Big Size, BATTOP Outdoor Automatic Pop up Instant Portable Cabana Beach Tent 2-3 Person Camping Fishing Hiking Picnicing Anti UV Beach Tent Beach Shelter Sets up in Seconds (Green)
Offered by BATTOP-EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sized shelter for 2 or 3 children to sit and play/read/nap in during the sunniest part of the day, 28 July 2016
This is a really handy pop up beach tent, which we have used at the beach, in the garden and on a camping trip already this summer.
The tent is perfect for my children to have some time out of the hot mid-day sun, protected by the SPF protection of the shelter. We used to use the smaller shelters, but my children keep growing and growing and this is perfect for my 8 and 9 year old to spend time in with plenty of room for colouring-in, reading books or playing a game during the hotter parts of the day.

The tent comes in a little bag and straight out of the bag - whoosh! It pops up and is ready to go. Instant and ready for use, so that you don't have to spend ages grappling with the construction right at the time you need it to be being used. The mesh panels in the sides of the tent allow for any passing breeze to ventilate the tent area and even on still days, the vents together with the open side keep the air from getting stuffy and stifling. The tent comes with some pegs for securing it should the weather be breezier, but in fact, where possible it is better to use the pegs as we found it made the structure more stable and less likely to gather up underneath the kids as they wriggle around inside.

As a family, we can all fit inside, but the children tend to spread their things around and get themselves comfortable. There is enough room for them to stretch out in here full-length for a nap if they are really tired! Putting the tent away requires the same technique as other similar products, which twist into a circular shape and then can be fitted easily back into the bag. It's good to practice this at home before you take it somewhere if you haven't tried this before - fortunately for me, my husband has the knack, but I might have struggled the first time, without his help!

I received this product as a sample for review purposes, but no attempt was made to influence my review and the opinion given is my own.

DUCO Polarized Designer Fashion Sports Sunglasses for Baseball Cycling Fishing Golf TR90 Superlight Frame 6200 Black Frame Gray Lens
Offered by DUCO Network Technology Co., Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great glasses for cycling or down by the riverbank fishing, 27 July 2016
I got these sunglasses for my husband, who wears these for fishing and for cycling in the bright sunny days (which we have been blessed with lately!) and he says that the glasses are lightweight and are really nice and comfortable to wear, without either pinching or being too loose. He says that the lenses work as expected in bright sunlight, protecting his eyes from glare but also have good clear lenses, so that his vision isn't impeded. My husband likes the look and he looks the part when he's down by the riverbank fishing!

These are good, practical and attractive sports sunglasses and it's nice to be able to put them in the hard protective case or the soft pouch depending on your own needs and preference. My husband loves the hard case, because he loves the glasses and doesn't want them to be accidentally sat on or broken! I received these glasses free from the manufacturer for review purposes, but this is an honest review, which will hopefully help you to understand the product better.

Popband Ponytail Holders, Glo
Popband Ponytail Holders, Glo

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, funky 80's neon bands for kink-free hair, 25 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are really cute and interesting hair bands, which instead of the usual thin or thick circular hairband are made of wide, flat elastic in a variety of different colours or patterns in the various sets available. This one has one a range of neon colours - two lime green, one, yellow, one orange and one hot pink. The bands also have been knotted, rather than using a metal fastener or being glued together, which means that my hair doesn't get snagged as easily, indeed at all.

These are definitely is better than standard hairbands in terms of not leaving as noticeable a kink in my hair, although I wouldn't say that they could never leave any kink at all, there is a really startling difference, as my hair usually gets massively kinked by a standard hair band and these barely leave a kink and if they do, it drops out pretty fast. The bands do look funky on the wrist and they don't dig in to my wrist and leave a mark, but depending on where the knot is sitting on your wrist, it can be irritating if it catches on something or you lean on it. These are definitely on trend with the 80's revival and also feel really fitting with the hot summery weather we've been blessed with lately! This is the second set of these I've got and although i wasn't convinced at first, I have been totally converted and I don't think I'll ever be tempted back to the cheap cylindrical bands again!

Patisserie de Bain Bath Tartlette Duo, Fun Fair Gift Set
Patisserie de Bain Bath Tartlette Duo, Fun Fair Gift Set

3.0 out of 5 stars A younger, sweeter fragrance - bit sickly for me, 23 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having tried another set of these bath tartlettes, Rose & Co Patisserie de Bain Cranberries and Cream Tartlette Gift Set - Pack of 2, I was hopeful that this would be as good or better. These look beautiful in their elegant packaging and again, they look like sweet little cakes. Like the other set, they fizz nicely in the bath and release their scent well into the bathroom, but I find this set overly sweet and a bit sickly and cloying in the bath. I think that when I was a teenager, i might have liked this (I liked sweet perfumes in my youth!), but now I prefer something a little more balanced. The positive, for me however, is that the scent didn't linger on my skin for long.

Boho Chiffon Blouse - JLTPH Women Floral Oversized T-Shirt Batwing Dolman Sleeve Tops (color4)
Offered by JL TECHONLOGY COMPANY

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely lightweight top, but not really off-the-shoulder, 23 July 2016
This is a lovely oversized lightlweight top which is great to wear over a vest top or a simple dress if you would like to create a layered look or you want something to detract from a less than washboard stomach (like me!)

I love the colours of this top, which are green, rust, cream and yellow of a feathered indian head-dress inspired design. I like the 3/4 length sleeves, which work well with the lightweight nature of this top in hotter weather.

There are two things about this top which aren't the same for me as in the advertised picture, which may be a positive or a negative, depending on what you prefer. 1. The neckline isn't as open on the top I have, so that it doesn't naturally fall off my shoulder and indeed to have it "off-the-shoulder" just doesn't work without the other side of the neckline digging in. 2. the hem doesn't drop down lower at the sides, but is pretty even across the front and back.

Despite these aspects, this is still a lovely top, which I have worn with a white top and jeans casually and with a green dress for a smarter look.

HoMedics Compact Percussion Heat Massager
HoMedics Compact Percussion Heat Massager

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good to get those sore muscles under my shoulder blades and to relieve sore thigh muscles., 21 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is great for targetting the sore, stiff, tight muscles under my shoulder blades up to my shoulders and also for my legs (both calves and thighs), which is great when they are sore or tight.

This is a really instinctive massager to use and if you want to use it on yourself for your shoulders/upper back, you simply hold it like you would use a loofah to scratch your back. Lower back isn't quite as easy to reach on your own, but you can do this if you simply grip the massager directly behind your back with both hands and this is perhaps the hardest area to reach and massage effectively, but it only took me a few minutes to get a comfortable and effective position to do this well.

There are two options for the type of massage you want and two options for the speed of massage. You can have the soft massage (not my usual preference, but useful if a spot is more tender than usual) or you can have heated massage. It is possible to detect the heat, but as it drums onto your skin, it is more difficult to sense what is heat from the surface and what is the heat of the drumming on the skin.

Polti Cappucci Milk Frother
Polti Cappucci Milk Frother

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, foamy and efficient!, 21 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have a Francis Francis for Illy X1 Ground Coffee Machine, Red, which makes amazing coffee and I absolutely love it, but whilst I can use the steamer to make hot frothy milk, there is definitely an art to it and my results are mixed!

This little gadget makes it easier than you could ever imagine! There is a lidded jug into which you put either the little round stirring attachment or the little frothing attachment. You then fill the jug between 100 and 250ml with milk and then you sit it with its lid on on the top and press one of three buttons - one with a snowflake or one with a steaming cup of coffee with more steam or another cup of coffee with slightly less steam.

If you click the snowflake button, it will mix or froth your milk (depending on which attachment you have chosen) and it actually chills the milk even more (you can feel this on the jug, which retains the cold after you have finished mixing or frothing) The cold setting doesn't stop automatically, it will continue until you lift the jug or press the snowflake a second time, but it produces an amazing cold froth which we have then used in our coffees on the recent hot days, to allow us to enjoy a nice cappuccino without collapsing in the heat of the day - just taking the edge off, without taking away from the delicious taste! The jug is really easy to clean, so that it just takes moments to tidy up.

The heated settings produce mid and steaming heated milk, which allows you to choose according to your preference (and the weather!) and the foam it produces it amazing. With the jug (but not the handle) retaining the heat) you don't need to rush manically for fear of having to reheat it. You can make hot chocolate in this as well as simple frothed milk, which has been a massive hit with the children and provided no-one tried to touch the hot plate, it is very safe and if they make it on the medium setting, it's great for them and we sometimes make a little extra cold froth if they are eager to drink it! There is an automatic switch off on the hot modes, so that you can press and leave it to do what it needs to without hovering over it.

The downsides are few, but I have to say the lines for 100ml-250ml on the jug aren't that easy to see - but I was soon will be able to judge by eye, but a contrast colour mark on the inside of the jug for min and max would have made it easier. The other issue for some people will be that it is not something for a small kitchen, as although it is compact, unless you use it every day, it might take up valuable space in the kitchen. We can accommodate it in our current house, but I have lived in plenty of places where this would have taken up valuable cupboard space. If you have space however, this is just amazing - fast, foamy and efficient!

Carmex Pomegranate click stick duo pack
Carmex Pomegranate click stick duo pack

5.0 out of 5 stars A new must-have item in my handbag, 20 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This lip balm applies really easily and after a moment or two begins the familiar carmex tingle on your lips. I like the way that the lipbalm makes little clicks as you twist to increase or decrease in size which helps, without looking to know how much you have put it up - so whilst out at the cinema, I was able to do this just by sound - 5 clicks up and 5 clicks back - without squishing the lipbalm with the lid by mistake! My lips definitely feel softer and better cared for and it's great to know that it protects my lips from the sun with SPF15.

This pomegranate carmex lip balm consists of two separately packaged lipbalms, so that you can use one and give one away or keep one sealed for later use.Once you open the package, there is also a security seal on the cap of the lipbalm, for added reassurance. Once you take off the cap, you get an instant hit of the fruity scent. Whilst I'm not sure that I would specifically have associated the smell with pomegranate, it is definitely a delicious scent and makes you want to use the lip balm straight away. I really like this lipbalm and it is definitely a new must have item in my handbag.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20