Profile for Kass > Reviews

Content by Kass
Top Reviewer Ranking: 687
Helpful Votes: 1917

Kass (Bristol, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Manmade Wonders (Worldwide Wonders)
Manmade Wonders (Worldwide Wonders)
by Wayland Publishers

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice school project book, with lovely photos, but it is quite short, 7 Dec. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book covers a number of man-made wonders and covers each one on a double spread of photos and text boxes. The man-made wonders included are:
1. The Empire State Building
9. The Eiffel Tower
10. The Bailong Elevator
11. The Statue of Liberty
12. The Large Hadron Collider
There is a final double page spread for more man-made wonders, which each get a text box of information each - namely The Wieliczka Salt Mine, The Golden Gate Bridge, Christ the Redeemer and Suez Canal.
The book ends with a child-friendly glossary and further information, including recommended books and websites and of course there is an index.

The book is a decent enough book with nice information - it would be great for a specific school project or for a child who likes fact books, but it was a little bit underwhelming and my 8-year old read it and was ready to move on to something else quite quickly and probably won't pick it up again for a while. The book is really just 29 pages long and at the current rrp of £12.99 on its own it feels a little bit much - I would personally rather get a longer book or a set of books for this.

BUKI France MR600 "50-Experiment Microscope" Educational Toy
BUKI France MR600 "50-Experiment Microscope" Educational Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solid microscope, with clear images and good accessories - just missing a protective case, 6 Dec. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Straight out of the box, this microscope feels well made - no cheap plastic tat here, but a solid and robust metal microscope, which feels like it will last for many years. The image you can see through each of the lenses, is crisp and clear and has been a source of wonder for my 8 and 10 year-olds.

There are plenty of accessories that come with the set too - so first and foremost you have pre-prepared slides, but also the tools to allow you to create your own slides yourself.

The instruction book is decent, but like many manuals, the multilingual element, means that there is less contained than first meets the eye, but it is a good way to introduce your child/ren to some of the kinds of experiment that you can do with this instrument.

The lack of case for storage is a shame, but we have found a sturdy plastic storage box to keep it in and some small tupperware to hold the smaller tools and items to keep them safe when not in use.

Rapesco 15 Single Hole Punch - 12 Sheet Capacity Assorted Colour
Rapesco 15 Single Hole Punch - 12 Sheet Capacity Assorted Colour

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for making gift tags, 4 Dec. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great little single hole punch, which has an easy to open cover on the bottom to catch all of the punched paper. There is also a catch at the front of the punch, so that you can keep it in an even more compact way, with the lever down and secured.

I reuse Christmas and birthday cards by cutting them in half and then making them into gift tags by a single hole punched in the top corner and using a little ribbon to attach it. This is perfect and much easier to use than a standard two hole punch, which is unwieldy to try and align for a single hole.

My Embarrassing Dad's Gone Viral!
My Embarrassing Dad's Gone Viral!
by Ben Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny book of a boy's schemes to get his Mum back, 4 Dec. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very "of the moment" book, which makes lots of reference to social media and vlogs and which may well be out of date in a few years time, but it is a funny, engaging book and both of my girls loved it. The main character is hoping to get him Mum back, after she left and his Dad moved him and his sister to a rural house, to get back to basics - without computers and the internet. We follow the trials and tribulations of his life, his new school, the local neighbours and of course his schemes to get him mum (and his beloved computer games) back.

I have enjoyed reading this book to my 8 and 10 year old girls at bedtime over the last week, although it actually is probably better as a book to read independently as when there is reference to the videos he is uploading, it is written like a script and so says the name of the person speaking before each line, which always sounds a little odd read aloud, but other than that, it was a hit.

Aveeno Baby 223 ml Soothing Relief Emollient Cream
Aveeno Baby 223 ml Soothing Relief Emollient Cream

5.0 out of 5 stars Not perfumed and contains the wonderful colloidal oatmeal, which is great for my daughters itchy arms., 3 Dec. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My daughter suffers from really dry, itchy skin on the inside of her arms, which doesn't react well to most creams.

I have never tried a bad Aveeno product and I first discovered their products when my children were very little and had chicken pox and someone recommended their colloidal oatmeal bath liquid - which worked like an absolute miracle and it really relieved the itches!

As this also has the same magical colloidal oatmeal in it, I really thought it was worth trying on my daughter's arms and it really has. It has softened the dry skin and really moisturised it, but just as importantly, it has stopped it feeling as uncomfortable and itchy, which means that she doesn't scratch her arms and make it worse, but rather gives her skin a chance to heal up fully.

Great cream which doesn't feel greasy and isn't slippery and doesn't have loads perfume to irritate sensitive skin and you don't need to use loads as it is thick and yet easy to apply.

SPEEDLINK INT-SL-610006-BK Garrido Illuminated Optical Ergonomic PC Mouse - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great wired mouse if you are fed up of erratic wireless ones., 1 Dec. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am so tired of wireless mice, which seem to be endlessly problematic and so I have decided to go back to a wired mouse - for the sake of a consistent connection!

Having tried very cheap mice, I know that they can be as problematic and the last one I had a work was so poor that it wouldn't work without a mouse-mat.

This mouse however, works like a charm - I simply plugged it in to my PC and it installed immediately and was up and running straightaway, without any need to install a driver or do anything more.

I don't need much from a mouse, other than for it to do as I direct it to - either as I scroll, move the mouse or click without being jerky in its movements or simply ignoring me. This is doing the job perfectly so far and of course if I could have the same reliability without a cable in the way I would, but this does the job. The wings of the mouse make it more comfortable to use the mouse and it is a nice shape.

STABILO Trio Scribbi Wallet 8 Assorted Colours Triangular Felt - Tip Pen
STABILO Trio Scribbi Wallet 8 Assorted Colours Triangular Felt - Tip Pen

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleverly designed pens: large, triangular pens with bright, bold superwashable colour and retractable nibs!, 30 Nov. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These pens really are very cleverly designed. At first glance, they have the familiar look of Stabilo pens. I use the grown-up fine liners and these are chunkier, triangular versions with the same recognisable white stripes. The colours are a nice selection - pink, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, brown and black. Whilst this isn't as wide a selection as you might get with a larger pack of pens, you will find that there aren't many things that can't be coloured in with this basic set. The triangular shape makes it easier for little hands to hold properly and the pens themselves give a lovely vibrant colour and have decently thick nibs to help younger children colour more evenly. Superwashable pens are also a great innovation in pens and we've been buying them for a few years now as my younger daughter had a habit of accidentally colouring in her clothes whilst colouring in in the car!

However, there is much more to these pens than just nice pens - the secret weapon is a joy to behold! Retractable nibs. I can't count the number of pens that my children have destroyed, particularly my younger daughter, by colouring too intently and pushing the nibs into the pen or splaying the nib by being too forceful with her "dotting". The retractable nib makes these pens almost destructible!

Rapesco Report File - ECO, A4+ (Assorted Colours, Pack of 10)
Rapesco Report File - ECO, A4+ (Assorted Colours, Pack of 10)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, professional-looking, eco folders - great for meetings or for school projects, 29 Nov. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This are very nice report files, which are perfect for presenting documents in a neat and professional way, whether for a meeting or for a smart school project. These are 100% recyclable and 100% biodegradable and are part of Rapesco's ever expanding Eco range. Each of the folders has a transparent front cover and a coloured back cover and there is a narrow removeable strip down the spine edge of the front cover, which you can take out, write your title/participant's name or whatever else you would like and reinsert it. This can be quite easy, but it is better not to do this in too much of a hurry or you will bend the thin card as you try and put/shove it back in! The set I received contained 4 blue, 4 green and 2 white folders and they 8 of them have already been put to good use at a meeting and two have been nabbed by my children for a Tudors and a Romans project respectively!

Gatineau Melatogenine Anti-Wrinkle Collection
Gatineau Melatogenine Anti-Wrinkle Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Three luxury face products, to leave your skin utterly pampered, 29 Nov. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really lovely set, with a slightly confusing picture - or at least for the set I received is not the same as the picture shown on Amazon at the time of writing.

The set includes Gatineau Melatogenine AOX Probiotics Advanced Rejuvenating Cream 50 ml, Gatineau Melatogenine AOX Probiotics Advanced Rejuvenating Eye Concentrate 15ml and Gatineau Melatogenine Futur PLUS Anti-Wrinkle Radiance Mask 75 ml. The picture at the time of writing doesn't show the mask, but rather a lip balm (this is not part of the set).

The rejuvinating cream feels nice on my skin as I apply it, it absorbs well and there is no hint of greasiness after use. It leaves my skin feeling well moisturised and soft and supple and it feels like a cream that is having more of an effect than a simple cream, although without a scientific test it is hard to verify without waiting months to observe the effects. The cream comes in a pretty little jar and it feels like a luxury product.

The eye cream comes in a pump action bottle, which, once you have got the measure of it, is easy to dispense - you just have to gauge how much to pump, as only a small amount is required, which makes this something that will last and last.

The cream applies really easily and is really unctuous, absorbing quickly leaving my eye area feeling really pampered and has certainly improved my under eye appearance - indeed after the first use, I could feel and see a difference. Some eye creams make my eyes water, but this one didn't cause any watering, which in itself is a miracle for me!

Finally the mask - which you can either apply and leave for 10-minutes or you can apply and leave on overnight. I thought I would try the first time with the short process, as I was going out for the evening and I thought it might refresh my tired looking skin. It felt nice going on and came off easily enough, but whilst my skin did feel refreshed, I'm not sure whether I could see any discernible difference.

The next time, I tried the overnight method. It felt a little odd putting it on before going to bed, tied my hair back and I put an extra pillowcase on my pillow to be able to take off in the morning in case I rubbed it all off on the pillow. My skin felt really lovely in the morning, soft and deeply nourished - a fresher, rosier tone to my skin.

The three items are all wrapped up in Gatineau wrapping paper inside a fairly large silver and black zip-up make-up bag. The bottom of the bag has a soft, suede-like feel to it and the silver is shiny, but mottled, so that it does just gleam. There is plenty of room in this bag for lots more items in addition to the three included.

As a set, currently costing £68, this is cheap at the price. The individual items cost much more than this even without the bag. The face cream is £80, the eye cream is £50 and the mask is £42.

Rapesco Punched Pockets - ECO, A4 (Pack of 100)
Rapesco Punched Pockets - ECO, A4 (Pack of 100)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality poly pockets, which won't rip the first time you use them, 28 Nov. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are excellent quality eco poly pockets, which are made from partly recycled materials and which are biodegradable and recyclable. Cheap poly pockets often rip either down the side or the re-enforced holes really aren't up to the job, but these are really solid and well made and should stand the test of time. The 100 pockets come in a box, which keep them flat without getting crumpled up.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20