Profile for N. Newton > Reviews

N. Newton (Oxford, UK)

Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear

5.0 out of 5 stars Or just living beyond fear, 28 Feb. 2017
I thought this book a little light on substance to begin with. Nice stories, perfectly pleasant; but then, as some of them end, they become little parables to carry with you through life and they really do add some meaning to it all. I am torn between reading it over again immediately or going off to make something...anything. Which is rather the point, beautifully made.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying: A simple, effective way to banish clutter forever
by Marie Kondo

5.0 out of 5 stars can my husband look at me touching a book and tell if it sparks joy in me, 21 Sept. 2016
Wow! I'm on day 2 of the Big Discard. I have already tested some of the theories, such as, can my husband look at me touching a book and tell if it sparks joy in me: erm, yes he really can! I actually cried when I held my illustrated Ballet Shoes book! No joy there, at all. You are supposed to tackle clothes before books, but I tried books first as I know they are more attached to me than clothes. Turns out all those old open uni books were seriously dragging me down. I already feel invigorated from just a few bags of books gone, clothes went today (no crying there other than at my expanding waist line!), and the hard work is to come: cupboards, drawers ad infinitum of Komono (stuff!) to clear. I can't wait. What an amazing revelation this book is!

Invision Ultra Slim TV Wall Mount Bracket with 20 Inch Cantilever Arm/1.8-Inch Wall Profile Tilt and Swivel for Most 26 - 42 Inch LED LCD Plasma 3D & 4K Screens (HDTV-M)
Offered by Invision Technology (UK) Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding value for money, 11 Nov. 2013
We have an oldish 40inch samsung 3d tv that is flat and slim but still pretty weighty. This bracket made light work of it. Turned up within a day, all fittings were spot on, and TV now sits nicely in the corner or will turn round so I can watch it doing the ironing! Perfect, heavy duty and reassuring quality. Check the VESA fittings first as per the ad, and you shouldn't go wrong. Costs about a third or quarter of the high street equivalent. Fantastic value.

Complete Decorated Journal, The
Complete Decorated Journal, The
by Gwen Diehn

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 19 July 2013
I really like the scope of this book as it contains tips on bookbinding and many different approaches to journalling. Unlike some of these books the techniques and images aren't too twee or dated, so this a great book for learning mixed media and journalling techniques. It is nice and substantial, too, so feels like value for money.

The Watercolour Flower Painter's A to Z: An Illustrated Directory of Techniques for Painting 50 Popular Flowers
by Adelene Fletcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners and more experienced artists, 5 April 2009
I've bought a number of 'Teach yourself' watercolour books, but this one managed to teach me the basics of watercolour and flower painting all at the same time. The pictures are so clear that I traced them,transferred them to watercolour paper and then followed the step by step painting guide for each flower. Even the first attempt looked amazing (you can't go too wrong, it is so clear). Seriously the best in my collection - be warned though - you'll be wanting to go and buy all the artist watercolour paints named in the book before long!!