Profile for Heather > Reviews

Content by Heather

Heather "Heather" (London, England)

100% BRUSHED COTTON FLANNELETTE DOUBLE DUVET COVER BEDDING SET - INNSBRUCK BLUE
100% BRUSHED COTTON FLANNELETTE DOUBLE DUVET COVER BEDDING SET - INNSBRUCK BLUE

1.0 out of 5 stars Dye runs, 14 Feb. 2013
This is a beautiful looking duvet set, but unfortunately the dark blue dye is leaking out of it and I'm having to wash it off my face! - so sadly it will have to be returned.

December
December
by Elizabeth H. Winthrop

1.0 out of 5 stars Left me cold, 17 July 2010
This review is from: December (Paperback)
The intriguing blurb tempted me to buy this book - unfortunately things went downhill quickly. I found the present-tense writing style very cold, though you could say it tied in well with the season and barrenness of the family's lives. Unfortunately I didn't find the weather descriptions evocative at all though, having hoped that reading a book about a cold winter might distract me from the stifling London heat of early July. It soon became apparent that little was going to happen, unless you consider dialogue such as `She blinks. She looks at him again.' exciting. As I ploughed on in the hope of an occasional short chapter-end page, I often felt tense: sadly this was not caused by my fears for Isabelle, but impatience at reaching yet another pointless description of some sort of daily chore or common emotion. The characters were annoying and rarely sympathetic, the conclusion underwhelming. What a shame, because the initial set-up promised so much more.

Things I Want My Daughters to Know
Things I Want My Daughters to Know
by Elizabeth Noble

2.0 out of 5 stars Over-long and under-edited, 5 April 2010
I found this book's themes interesting and at times gripping, but have to admit to being put off completely by some lazy continuity errors which jumped out at me. The most damning was - considering the book is primarily about someone's death - a mention of a character's deceased family acquaintance, who has amazingly come back to life again the next time they are referred to some pages later. Nevertheless, I decided to read the rest of the book to see whether I could be won over by the quality of the story and characters' journeys. This didn't happen unfortunately. I initially enjoyed Barbara's personal letters to each of her daughters, but found the additional pages from her journal didn't add much to the plot, and seemed more like padding. As did quite a few of the 400-odd pages, which surely could have been pared down by a quarter if this book hadn't been rushed out to the shops.

After the Armistice Ball (Dandy Gilver Murder Mystery)
After the Armistice Ball (Dandy Gilver Murder Mystery)
by Catriona McPherson

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice set-up, shame about the rest of it, 1 Oct. 2007
As a Scotland lover I really enjoyed the beginning of this book, with its mentions of Highland country life, and was intrigued as the scene was set. However, this rapidly led to frustration: first at having to wade through the author's pet technique of using elaborate similies to describe any event, however trivial, and then at the plodding 'plot'. Although Dandy is a quirky character, I wanted more than pages and pages of her thoughts (and those of her sidekick) processing and repeating facts and ideas about the crime. After her first visit to Galloway any action seemed to cease completely, to be replaced by musings about murder and even more about those blessed missing diamonds. If you care about precious stones as much as some of the book's characters, then you might want to read on further, but be warned, you'll have to put up with a wildly far-fetched ending too. What a disappointment. Nice jacket cover though.

Archangel
Archangel
by Robert Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars Another historical hit for Harris, 3 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Archangel (Paperback)
I really enjoyed Archangel. Having previously studied Communist Russia, I recognised many of the political figures featured in the book, but am now looking forward to reading even more about the subject.
That said, you don't need any knowledge of the subject to enjoy this book (though concentrating on the many Russian names is vital!). As with Harris' other excellent thriller Fatherland, I found myself instantly empathising with the characters of Archangel, namely 'maverick' academic Fluke Kelso (in Moscow to attend a conference about the newly opened Soviet archives), and desperately willed him on in his quest to find out whether Stalin's secret notebook does indeed exist.
However, Harris cleverly shows the many sides to the effects of Kelso's investigations, and also draws a sympathetic picture of the long-suffering Russian police chief Suvorin, who too suspects there are many secrets buried in Russia's history but knows unearthing them may have a much greater impact than that of a 'scoop'.
As the plot moved on I was compelled to rush through the always evocative descriptions of 'New Russia' to get to its conclusion. Archangel is exciting, fast-paced, eerie as well as sad. A fantastic book.