Profile for Mrs. S. Partridge > Reviews

Content by Mrs. S. Partridge

Mrs. S. Partridge "su-zee" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Hope and Glory: A People's History of Modern Britain
Hope and Glory: A People's History of Modern Britain
by Stuart Maconie

3.0 out of 5 stars More political than enjoyable., 8 Oct. 2015
This book was quite good, but I did not enjoy it as much as his others. It is quite serious in tone and very politically left wing. There are the usual interesting historical articles but I did find myself skimming through some of the more political parts.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat and stylish., 17 Sept. 2015
This is a neat and stylish diary. Convenient layout with a whole week on one side and a ruled page for notes on the other. Great for me as I write lots of notes for each week. It feels very sturdy and yet weighs a lot less than my old organiser, which makes for a lighter handbag. Pity that UK 'notable dates' aren't in it, but I suppose it goes to lots of countries.

Cornish Killing
Cornish Killing

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy and entertaining read., 31 July 2015
This review is from: Cornish Killing (Kindle Edition)
A free download to while away the time hanging about during a hospital visit. Towards the end it was a bit like a 'Famous Five' book and there was no real sense of peril, but ok and quite fun.

A Dangerous Place (Maisie Dobbs Mystery Series Book 10)
A Dangerous Place (Maisie Dobbs Mystery Series Book 10)

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a cul-de-sac, 31 July 2015
I have enjoyed the other books in this series. They are murder mysteries with a bit extra. However I felt that this one was a bit of a disappointment. It is as if the author has got Maisie into a very happy situation and then panicked. She can't possibly carry on her detective career now she is married (Why not? Maisie has never been conventional) So she writes something shocking and Maisie spends a whole book hanging about on Gibraltar solving not-very interesting mystery. Hopefully the next book will move things along a bit more. There are only so many tragedies a character can be subjected to without it being far-fetched.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2015 2:48 PM GMT

The Ambleside Alibi: A Lake District Mystery (Lake District Mysteries (Paperback))
by Rebecca Tope

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 May 2015
I enjoyed the other 2 'Lake District' stories but this one was a let down. Too much of it was constant dialogue, which was confusing to follow.
The 2 younger characters, Ben and Melanie were under-used and not enough was made of the snowy setting.There was no character development and
the ending seemed ridiculous to me.
I will give any further books a go, but they need to be better than this.

The Curse Of The Ayton Witches: The Third Inspector McClennan Mystery (The Inspector McClennan Mysteries Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet, 29 April 2015
I really enjoyed the first two in this trilogy and this is as good if not better. The plot is very twisty, there are lots of red herrings along the way and the solution very unexpected. I really thought I had worked it out and was reading along smugly. I was completely wrong. Along the way you learn more about several of the regular characters and there is resolution of a couple of the long running storylines. I really recommend it.

A Fatal Winter (Max Tudor)
A Fatal Winter (Max Tudor)
by G M Malliet

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the good sequel I hoped for., 2 Mar. 2015
I really enjoyed the first book in this series- 'Wicked Autumn.' However, I couldn't get through this one at all. It consists of long 'setting up' passages about each character. Then long interviews with each character, then more talking....
The book is set almost completely in the Manor House, with a lot of the interesting village characters missing,
I read the first bit, then skipped to the end to keep up with the personal life of the sexy vicar.
I will give the next one a go, as it is set back in the village again.

And Then There Were Nuns: Adventures In A Cloistered Life
And Then There Were Nuns: Adventures In A Cloistered Life
by Jane Christmas

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 23 Jan. 2015
This book may have a frivolous title and a cartoon front cover but it is in no way a trivial book. The author has a very engaging and entertaining style but her subject matter is serious. Her journey through several convents raises lots of questions about convents, the people who live in them and the church in general. As a life-long churchgoer myself and used to it's rituals/jargon etc I often wonder what the outside world thinks of it. Jane Christmas is a challenging person and I am looking forward to reading her other books.

The Monogram Murders (Hercule Poirot Mystery 1)
The Monogram Murders (Hercule Poirot Mystery 1)
by Sophie Hannah

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Poirot at all., 3 Jan. 2015
This was a book of 3 parts for me. For the first few chapters I thought it was awful. Then I got quite interested in the mystery, which seemed quite unusual and things improved a bit. Finally I had to give up on the overlong, confusing and boring 'denoument'. Even now I am not entirely sure what it was all about.
It was definitely not Poirot at all. Not his style of working or of speaking. The mystery itself and the whole atmosphere of the book seemed more Victorian (Sherlock Holmes) than 1920's Poirot. The new policeman sidekick was so incredibly stupid and useless that you wonder how he got to be in Scotland Yard. He seemed to exist only for Poirot to have someone to talk to. Overall it was interesting to see what the new author made of her attempt but that's about it.

Death is a Word (Mrs. Malory Mysteries series Book 21)
Death is a Word (Mrs. Malory Mysteries series Book 21)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good as always, 3 Jan. 2015
This latest book was as good as all the others. I enjoy the different characters and can relate to the arguments and rifts that occur among people doing voluntary work and organising things on committees! I am very sad that it is the last one. Perhaps Hazel Holt has just run out of ideas and wants to try something different? I do agree that my hardback copy, which I got as a present, was too expensive. Cover price was £20.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9