Profile for A. Pechabadens > Reviews

Content by A. Pechabadens

A. Pechabadens (Pays-de-Galles - Uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Wedding Singer [DVD] [1998]
The Wedding Singer [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Adam Sandler

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the naff looking cover!, 10 Sept. 2013
At last the Wedding singer got watched, we had put it at the bottom of the pile due to the dodgy cover, but the dice told us to watch that tonight! (we throw a dice as we have many dvds to watch)

From the beginning this film showed itself as very different, the acting in it I found excellent (the main character is excellent as the wedding singer) and even though I didn't find it a hilarious comedy as so other watchers have said, I found it a heart taking film, with "real" characters rather than characters acting like un-real American stars in "pretence" movies.
A beautiful film, and great actors. A definite feel-good, with lessons of a deeper meaning.

Mesmer [DVD] [1994]
Mesmer [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ Alan Rickman
Offered by FREETIME

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate twist of a real story - Mesmer fans keep away!, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Mesmer [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
My partner is a great fan of Mesmer and bought that dvd as a treat (he has read some books about him).
The film shows Mesmer who was a great healer, under the light of a quack who can't even heal people - also, there is a sexual element in it which isn't described in the real Mermer's books as he didn't touch women's chests as it is shown in this film!
The film is degrading to him and very unfair - the director obviously didn't like alternative therapies and wanted to make fun of the historical character, who actually healed many people (and it was not just "because" the blind girl hit herself on the head that she could see again, sort of thing...)
No need to say we didn't watch the film till the end as we were too disgusted by it. Shame as the main actor is very good (though the pretendingly ill villagers don't act very realistically)

Mirrors of Time: Using Regression for Physical, Emotional and Spiritual Healing (Little Books and CDs)
by Dr Brian L. Weiss

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but too short, 3 Mar. 2013
I bought this book for the CD, having heard of Mr Weiss and his fascination on past lives. The cd starts well, with some relaxation which is nice but I find too short, he is already going into the regression when I am still yawning my head off (releasing the day's tensions) trying to relax and having only reached my neck muscles.
After that, the regression is nice but again too short, there isn't enough space without words also to let memories come through - more silence when for example getting to choose one mirror to go through, and then once in, more silence, at least 3-4 minutes, to allow the memory to develop. His voice is beautiful and soothing, not "whiny" as another reviewer suggests, and his advice is very helpful.
My problem with this lies in I got to the downstairs garden (I didn't want to go downstairs as I knew it was unpleasant) and when I opened the door to the garden, a very strange spectacle was in front of my eyes: an overgrown garden with all tall walls surrounding it, so it felt like a cage, a prison: I couldn't go very much further than that due to the feeling this brought. Anyway, great cd, and I might try one of his others, hoping they might be a bit more open, long and spacious.

A Clockwork Orange [DVD] [1971]
A Clockwork Orange [DVD] [1971]
Dvd ~ Malcolm McDowell
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Violence yet peace, 31 Jan. 2013
This film is bizarre, disturbing because of the explicit violence in it (the nudity doesn't bother really) but I could accept this film and felt better for it afterwards even though I cannot usually watch violent films.
The way they re-train that criminal is just brilliant. It makes him into a vegetable but frankly, after all he has done, it is well deserved. I wouldn't watch it again in case it got to me more than a few years ago, but I liked the overall feeling it left me with. Nasty people being given some nasty back. Bit egotistical and not very godly, where all should be love; but... Yes!!

Micmacs [DVD]
Micmacs [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dany Boon

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, surprising film with a satisfying after-taste!, 22 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Micmacs [DVD] (DVD)
This film was recommended by a friend and we were blown-up by it. Excellent scenario, great acting and surprising moments!
Danny Boon is very good in it and so is the rest of the cast. I particularly loved the unusual aspect of the film, the underground nature of those people living in trashy condition yet with a lot of respect for each other. This film gave me faith in human nature again! A beautiful film, a bit like a fairy tale but one of those with modern violence in it which the guys love. Blowing up and all that. I did survive it, and loved the whole feeling of this film.

Scary Movie 4 [DVD]
Scary Movie 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anthony Anderson
Offered by wantitcheaper

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the others, 22 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Scary Movie 4 [DVD] (DVD)
This again did it for me, they did great on the cast and story, and the main actress looks prettier now than she did in all the other films!
Both my partner and I enjoyed the other films, shame they are a little short... Fortunately there are some deleted scenes at the end of this one. I like their unconventional way of doing things in those series! And love anything that takes the piss out of horrible films...

The Prisoner Of Zenda [DVD]
The Prisoner Of Zenda [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Sellers

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 22 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Prisoner Of Zenda [DVD] (DVD)
A bit odd in parts but a brilliant film, as always mr Sellers does amazing acting! He made this film for us. Funny story, will watch again to remember why I only gave it 4 rather than 5 stars.

Stokes Brown Sauce 320 g (Pack of 3)
Stokes Brown Sauce 320 g (Pack of 3)
Offered by Cooking Marvellous

5.0 out of 5 stars My partner's favourite brown sauce!, 22 Jan. 2013
He won't have any other now he tried that one! The only thing that comes close is our home-made chutney...

History Of The World - Part 1 [1981] [DVD]
History Of The World - Part 1 [1981] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mel Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars First Mel Brook movie ever watched... and not the last!, 22 Jan. 2013
We thought at first this was going to be a bit cheezy but soon got us laughing as anything - brilliant film and great directing! We have been hunting the Mel Brooks movies since! (our favourite ones are those he is actually in, he is such a good actor!)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2013 7:52 AM BST

Life Stinks [1991] [DVD]
Life Stinks [1991] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mel Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbe!, 22 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Life Stinks [1991] [DVD] (DVD)
I have only recently found out about Mel Brooks and his movies, a bit late perhaps but so greatfully happy to know he is still alive! Too often I get into actors and directors to find out they have passed away like Brittany Murphy...
This film had me laugh for about 10 mins to the point of needing to go to the toilet - I just love the humour and the unpredictable way Mel Brooks does things. He is fabulous! The shoes did it for me, just so very funny!
Great film, I know it was criticised a bit when it came out but I love every parts of it, love the main lady's character in it and how again, she is such an unthinkable, unusual film character. Mel Brooks is such a great actor but he does the directing also so very well!
This is one of my favourites with "History of the world 2" which, having watched it one night my partner and I weren't on very good terms, saw us both laughing and making up - because of the film! I wish there were more Mel Brooks in the world... He is in my top league with my favourite French actor Louis de Funes who is also so very unusual with his acting and parts. Long live Mel Brooks!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5