Profile for Jack Miller > Reviews

Content by Jack Miller

Jack Miller

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
AMD FX8320 Black Edition 8 Core (3.5/4.0GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 8MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 125W, Retail Boxed)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's good but BUY A NEW HEATSINK, 10 Jan. 2014
This CPU is great however the CPU Heatsink is s*** and you will need to buy a new one. I have a 8320 and a 280X and they CPU spins up so fast because of how much the CPU is working.

As for the CPU defiantly buy, it's brilliant.

Kali Linux Cookbook
Kali Linux Cookbook
by Willie Pritchett

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review: Kali Linux Cookbook, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Kali Linux Cookbook (Paperback)
At a glance Kali Linux Cookbook looks like a more complete book into Kali Linux. I began reading the book and I was happy to see that it started off talking to you about how to install Kali Linux. The best thing is the author demonstrates this using Virtual Box where in the past they have used VMWare Workstation. Of course both are good, but virtual box is free. I also noticed that the author makes sure that the reader doesn't have to spend additional money to follow on with the book.

This book is much more advanced than other books I've read on Kali Linux. It goes way more In depth even on the setup of Kali. With this book being all about pentesting and forensics the author also tells you how to get additional operating systems to pentest and practice on. I was very impressed.

The book follows a format that is very helpful. It is sectioned up into different methods. These sections have names, about, getting ready and a how to for each method. This is ideal if you don't want to read the full book but just want to look at individual sections which are clearly shown.

This book covers all kinds of pentests using the likes of nmap, network mapping, finding vulnerabilities and exploiting them. It's perfect for beginners and also advanced users if you need to refer to something quickly.

If you are looking for a Kali Linux book to get you started and familiar with tools such as nmap and metasploit then this is the book for you. I highly recommend it and this book gets a 5* from me. Purchase this book!

Instant Google Compute Engine
Instant Google Compute Engine
by Alexander Papaspyrou

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review: Google Compute Engine (JackkTutorials Review), 15 Dec. 2013
Another book from the 'Instant' book collection. This book focuses on the Google Compute Engine (GCE) which is something I had never heard of and I'm assuming that many of you also have not heard of it before.

Google Compute Engine is a service offered by the massive Google company which hosts a virtual server within their Google datacenter which you can access through the cloud.

This book is a great read for those who want to learn what GCE is, where you can get it and what you can do with it. The book goes through steps on how to set up your own virtual linux box within their massive data center.

The book as you expect provides you with all the resources you need especially if you are a linux user anyway and you need to get the links for apt-get install and wget which you can simply copy and paste from the books pages.

The book is very broken down in to chapters so you can quickly navigate to each section of the book using the contents page. Each chapter has it's own high quality instructions and screen shots for whatever the book happens to be talking about. Also the book is in chronological order so it assumes you have some or no idea of what GCE is and then proceeds to show you how to set it up so you can access it yourself.

In summary, if you are looking for a book on the Google Compute Engine this is the one you defiantly should spend your pennies on. I guarantee that you will be able to follow along and set up your own virtual box on the google infrastructure and have it working to your exceptions through this book. I give it a wonderful 5/5 and would recommend it too anyone in a heart beat.

Jackk
JackkTutorials.com

Instant Kali Linux
Instant Kali Linux
by Abhinav Singh

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Review: Instant Kali Linux (JackkTutorials Review), 14 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Instant Kali Linux (Paperback)
Instant Kali Linux is a 'heads on' approach into the world of Pentesting and Computer Forensics. Anyone who watches my videos will probably already know what 'Kali Linux' is. This book is designed to teach you how to get it up and running and then proceeds to teach you the basics of a selection of each individual area of pentesting.

The main areas that is covered in this book are:

Installing Kali Linux or using a Virtual Machine
Understanding the memory layout, where things reside within the operating system
Gathering and Sniffing of Data
Vulnerability assessment tools
Web app penetration
Password brute forcing
Wireless Encryption hacking
Framework exploitation
Working with Forensics tools

The book is essentially a basic 'how to' guide on how to get started with Kali. It's very entry level and is the kind of book you expect to coax people in, have a go with it and then go off on their own to learn more independently.

When I picked up the book I played it dumb and pretended I had no idea what I was doing with Kali and pretended I had no idea what Kali was or even it's predecessor 'BackTrack'. It was a good sight to see when I turned to the first page and instantly I was created with a very simple 'What is Kali?' and the author processed to explain exactly what Kali was; the fact it was a Linux based operating system with a collection of open source penetration testing tools. So right from the first page I knew what Kali was and what is actually inside Kali.

I then needed to know how to get Kali Linux on my netbook so I can begin to indulge on this 'Pentesting' or so-its-called. On the second page is where I found exactly what I was looking for. It also had the minimum specifications for your PC that you will be using Kali for which is helpful of course. It provided me with the download link for Kali. So I loaded it onto a USB Stick and booted into it on my netbook. The book also explained that the first thing you should do is update Kali using the 'apt-get update' which was good to see.

From there I was in Kali. The book explained where things where located such as '/etc/' for configuration files and '/opt/' for Metasploit which would prove useful further down the road.

From there I played around with the different pentesting software's that the book covers. I particularly found myself interested in the Fern WiFi Cracker and processed to open a WEP Encrypted wireless network and see if the book could teach the noob like me to crack the network; which it did.

On the whole, if you are looking for a beginners guide to Kali which will provide you with a head on approach to the OS then this book is for you. I enjoyed reading through it and putting what was coming out of the book into a real life situation and I found that everything it was saying made sense.

On the whole I give it a high 4/5. It's defiantly a start into the world of pentesting.

Reviewed by Jackk
JackkTutorials.com

XCSOURCE® Waterproof 5 Meter RGB Color Changing Flexible LED Strip Kit 60 LEDs/m with IR Remote 24 Key Controller AC Power Supply Adapter UK Plug for Home Lighting Decoration
Offered by XCSOURCE

5.0 out of 5 stars They're awesome!, 2 Nov. 2013
I have them stuck with the adhesive to my glass desk. They are super bright and colourful and make any gaming setup look totally kick ass. At the end of the 5 meter stip of LED's is a connector where you can connect another 5 meter strip and run that of the 12V DC.

A lot of people said the 12V Regulator was s***but I beg to differ, it hasn't died on me yet!

Philex - 27450R -  Deluxe Cable Tidy Pack - 2 by 2 Meters Black Cable Sheaths
Philex - 27450R - Deluxe Cable Tidy Pack - 2 by 2 Meters Black Cable Sheaths
Offered by Teckstar

1.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy and annoying, 24 Aug. 2013
The clip broke in my hand as soon as I used it. Helpful.

It doesn't even make my wires look any better, if wires are going of in directions like mine then good luck using this to hide them.

Do not recommend

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars They look good! Sound... Not so good, 15 Aug. 2013
So I bought these because they looked awesome. I bought them with full knowledge that they most likely will sound s***, but look good.

Well I was right, so I wasn't surprised. If they're too loud then they will crackle. I just used a splitter and put them in with my 5.1 to make them 7.1. They look really awesome though and it's very in sync. I can sit and watch them forever. Now you can finally say 'I'll listen to the song if it LOOKS good on my speakers'. It also makes a very nice effect on the roof.

FOR SONY XPERIA MIRO ST23i MIRO HARD BACK PROTECTION CASE COVER + FREE (SMILE  FACE HARD BACK)
FOR SONY XPERIA MIRO ST23i MIRO HARD BACK PROTECTION CASE COVER + FREE (SMILE FACE HARD BACK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Girlfriend loves it, 4 July 2013
My girlfriend picked this phone case for a little gift from me to her and she loves it, the image is very clear and high quality and does not fade like other phone cases!

5 Pack LCD Screen Protectors / Screen Guard with Cleaning Cloths for Sony Ericsson Xperia Miro ST23i

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 4 July 2013
They fit perfect and have saved my girlfriends phone screen from a deep, nasty scratch down the midddle. No trace left on the actual phone screen. Came with 5 LCD Protectors and 5 cloths and easy to apply

Pokemon Plasma Freeze Theme Deck
Pokemon Plasma Freeze Theme Deck

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Pokemon Card, 4 July 2013
I love pokemon cards and I can confirm exactly what this product comes with:

60 x Pokemon Cards including Pokemon, Trainer and Energy Cards
1 x Head/Tails Coins
1 x Sheet of Damage counters
1 x Playmat
1x Instructions/Rules
1 x Pokemon TCG Online redemption code

I bought this deck for the TCG online redemption code which allows me to use this deck and face anyone around the world on the online version of this TCG

Page: 1 | 2 | 3