Profile for Hippo Queen > Reviews

The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic
The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic
by Darby Penney

4.0 out of 5 stars Tragic, 4 Mar. 2013
This is a great read but it is really sad. They are committed for the most obscure reasons. Life bites!

The Life of Merlin, Vita Merlini (Forgotten Books)
The Life of Merlin, Vita Merlini (Forgotten Books)
by Geoffrey, of Monmouth, Bishop of St. Asaph

3.0 out of 5 stars Huge pinch of salt required!, 17 Nov. 2010
The book is beautifully presented with crisp white pages and the print is lovely to read but be warned, this is not Merlin's life story! It is however a collection of Irish and Scottish legends placed into Merlin's mouth as prophecies (and not very clear ones at that).

We were all warned at school to take Geoffrey of Monmouth with a pinch of salt and with good reason.

The book has some laughable natural history (Ostrich chicks are hatched by the sun not their mothers, for instance).

Enjoy this book as historical fiction.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2011 11:45 PM GMT

Time
Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Big Brother!, 14 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Time (Audio CD)
I have to thank my big brother for getting me interested in Folk music and Steeleye Span, hence the title.

This album is my favourite of all Steeleye's offerings. You can't beat Maddy Prior's voice and vocal range, I'd love to be able sing like her. The songs are catchy and you can sing along (well I do). I, especially, love "The Prickly Bush".

I used this album to get a friend of mine interested in Folk and now he's a big fan too.

If you want a good introduction to Steeleye Span or Folk music in general, you can't find a better album than this one.

Indiana Jones and the White Witch
Indiana Jones and the White Witch
by Martin Caidin
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun read but...., 14 Nov. 2010
Don't get me wrong I liked this book a lot but Jones and the power of Merlin, I ask you, could you really believe that? The author did a great job though and after a few pages you don't mind this unlikely scenerio.

It all starts with Indy taking a flying lesson over the New Forest and it all (excuse the pun) takes off from there.

Indy is after a international criminal mastermind and a lost treasure with 2 white witches (not just one). The witches have Merlin's wand and his sword, Caliburn, which both come in very handy. Jones has a few tricks up his sleeve too.

I won't spoil the ending except to say I'll look forward to reading the next book in this series.

Samantha Swift and the Golden Touch (PC CD)
Samantha Swift and the Golden Touch (PC CD)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fab game!, 14 Nov. 2010
I really enjoyed this game. Think a female Indy Jones and you get the idea. The story is good and the locations are beautifully done.

I must admit that I skipped a few of the minigames just because I wanted to see where the story led me next. Next time I play I'll do it properly.

I'll certainly be buying the others in this series. Buy and enjoy!

Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors (PC CD)
Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors (PC CD)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

5.0 out of 5 stars Mirrors and more mirrors!, 7 Nov. 2010
This is great game with hidden objects and minigames. The artwork is beautiful even though the game is a bit short.

Waiting for the sequel - hope it's out soon!

December Boys [DVD] [2007]
December Boys [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars A beaut!, 6 Nov. 2010
This review is from: December Boys [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I admit it! I'm a Daniel Radcliffe fan even though he's young enough to be my son - just!

The photography and script are brilliant and you can't better the Australian scenery as a film set.

I'll be watching this film with great delight for years too come!

Money well spent!

Murder, Mystery & Mirrors Triple Pack (PC CD)
Murder, Mystery & Mirrors Triple Pack (PC CD)
Offered by PNA247

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Enough, 6 Nov. 2010
There are 3 Games on this disk but they are all far too short.

The stories are good and the games are great fun. Graphics are good.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2011 5:31 PM BST

Nancy Drew: Dossier Lights, Camera, Curses! (PC CD)
Nancy Drew: Dossier Lights, Camera, Curses! (PC CD)
Offered by TnsDealsUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Clean Fun!, 6 Nov. 2010
What a great game! I love all the Nancy Drew adventures and this one was a challenge but not too exacting (they usually give me a headache).

I think this is a game I'll be playing again and again.

Hetty Wainthropp Investigates - Series 3 [1997] [DVD]
Hetty Wainthropp Investigates - Series 3 [1997] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patricia Routledge
Offered by RCDiscs

5.0 out of 5 stars Patrica Routledge at her best!, 30 Oct. 2010
This is a gem to own and any mystery fan should have the whole series of Hetty Wainthropp Investigates on their shelves.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3