Profile for J. Saunders > Reviews

Content by J. Saunders

J. Saunders (Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Wild Island: A Year in the Hebrides
Wild Island: A Year in the Hebrides

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this to read on a cruise round the ..., 23 May 2016
I bought this to read on a cruise round the Hebrides. Evocative, down-to-earth account of life on a Scottish island, as seen through an artist's observant eyes. Very enjoyable.

Diamine 30ml Chocolate Brown fountain pen ink bottle
Diamine 30ml Chocolate Brown fountain pen ink bottle
Offered by Europens

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Oct. 2015
A very attractive shade of brown which I have used in my Parker 51 and Lamy 2000 fountain pens.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful add-on for my Lamy Safari pens, 6 Oct. 2015
Very useful add-on for my Lamy Safari pens. Fitting it was no problem once I had twigged how the two little 'lugs' matched the two smaller insets in the pen body.

Lamy Bottled Ink 50ml Black W/Blotting Paper
Lamy Bottled Ink 50ml Black W/Blotting Paper
Offered by Prut

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Oct. 2015
Great ink and it comes in a stylish bottle, with the handy blotting paper ring round the outside.

LAMY Safari Yellow Fountain Pen Extra Fine Nib
LAMY Safari Yellow Fountain Pen Extra Fine Nib
Offered by bargainartistshop

5.0 out of 5 stars First-rate fountain pen, 6 Oct. 2015
I really like this pen. It just feels right in my small-ish hand, looks good and writes well. I have the shiny yellow one with an extra-fine nib and the matt graphite one with a fine nib and I like them both equally. After not using a fountain pen regularly for decades, I've had a bit of a fountain pen-buying splurge recently and also bought some stylish classic pens (a Parker 51 and a Lamy 2000), which are really great, but I enjoy writing with the Safari every bit as much. A fun pen to travel with, and you don't have to worry about someone nicking it as they are cheap to replace. An unequivocal five-star rating - I only wish I could have written this review with it instead of a clunky computer keyboard...

Kaweco Squeeze converter SPORT (for Kaweco Sport series FP) by Kaweco
Kaweco Squeeze converter SPORT (for Kaweco Sport series FP) by Kaweco
Offered by Creoly

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 6 Oct. 2015
Very basic squeeze-to-fill converter which does the job but is WAY too expensive for what it is.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2016 10:59 PM BST

Kaweco Sport Classic Fountainpen white EF (extra fine)
Kaweco Sport Classic Fountainpen white EF (extra fine)
Offered by Seitz Kreuznach GmbH

3.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap and not as cheerful as a Lamy!, 6 Oct. 2015
The compactness closed (10.5 cms), and the fact that it becomes a normal-sized fountain pen when open and capped, are the selling points of this pen. Otherwise it's no-frills and somewhat overpriced at £20+, as was the extremely basic Kaweco Squeeze converter for another £20+ (actually, I think I blundered badly there - I've subsequently seen the converter sold for around £2.50!) . I wish I hadn't bought it in white as it looks cheap, like the stereotypical Essex girls' shoes! The other colours are significantly better when you see them in real life. The good-looking extra-fine nib on mine seemed to be marginally on the wet side but it works OK and the pen is comfortable to write with. I know comparisons are odious, but I have quite a strong preference for the Lamy Safari - it looks better, feels better and writes better, for a better price (at least in the UK), and the difference in closed length (the Sport is 3.5cms shorter than the Safari) is not significant to me. Maybe the Sport has a function as an inobtrusive back-up pen, stowed in a bag or briefcase with a couple of cartridges, for when your favourite pen runs out and you've no bottle ink.

The Citadel (Bello)
The Citadel (Bello)

3.0 out of 5 stars Why is it called The Citadel?, 1 Jan. 2015
Started well but rambled on a bit. Having read the book, I've still absolutely no idea what the title has to do with the content.

This style of writing has dated rather and it is easy to see why Cronin has gone out of fashion.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2017 10:47 AM BST

D'Addario EJ21 XL Nickel Wound Jazz Light  (.012-.052) Wound 3rd Electric Guitar Strings
D'Addario EJ21 XL Nickel Wound Jazz Light (.012-.052) Wound 3rd Electric Guitar Strings
Offered by RST Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Strings for a Godin Acousticaster, 29 Aug. 2014
Lovely strings. I only learnt of their existence recently when I found a stray reference online that my guitar (Godin Acousticaster) ships with these strings. I bought the guitar in the 1990s, having loved the sound when I tried it out in the shop, but the various different strings I had used on it subsequently tended to sound jangly and thin. I recently purchased a good-quality acoustic guitar and the all too obvious disparity between the new guitar's pleasant tone and that of the Godin (which I had recently strung with D'Addario Regular Lights - 0.10 top string) prompted me to think again about finding better strings for the Godin.

My string quest finally led me to D'Addario Jazz Lights. Before ordering them, I was slightly put off by the heavier gauge (0.10 to 0.12) as I have a severed tendon in the middle finger of my left hand, which makes holding down strings a fair bit harder for me. Also, I'm not a jazz player so that also put me off a bit. But I took the plunge and it proved to be a good decision. My fingers cope really well with the heavier gauge and it's not been a problem. The Jazz Lights really suit my finger style playing, and give me extra volume and improved tone, particularly on the top three strings. Now my Godin Acousticaster is back to its best and delivering the sound I fell in love with when I first tried it out in the shop more than 20 years ago.

Garmin nuvi 50 LM 5" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps and Free Lifetime Map Updates (discontinued by manufacturer) (discountinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars No-Frills Satnav, 8 Aug. 2014
I had never used a satnav before buying this so didn't really know what to expect. Clearly it is a no-frills satnav, which does the basics but no more. It was reasonably easy to install and operate. As someone who lives in Greater London, I was surprised by some of the bizarre 'as the crow flies' routes it tends to choose in cases where my local knowledge means I know quicker ways to go. So I am not entirely confident that it is giving me the optimum route when I travel to places I don't know. Before travelling, I still use Google Maps to double-check that it is not leading me up the garden path. I think it is generally OK for occasional use but if I were a more frequent road user I think I would be looking for something with more options and route reliability.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3