Profile for R. Twigger > Reviews

Content by R. Twigger

R. Twigger

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Seed Buried Deep (the Expedition Trilogy, Book 2)
The Seed Buried Deep (the Expedition Trilogy, Book 2)
by Jason Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars They just keep getting better..., 17 Feb. 2014
In part 2 of Jason Lewis's incredible 13 year Odyssey, we experience with him more amazing highs and lows as he rollerblades with an unhealed broken leg across the Rockies, almost dies of blood poisoning in the Pacific and wakes up one day to find the...nah, won't spoil it- one of the greatest adventure stories you'll ever read.

Cannibalism: It's Just Meat (Tahir Shah Essays Book 2)
Cannibalism: It's Just Meat (Tahir Shah Essays Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars get it!, 2 Nov. 2013
Tahir Shah on cannibalism- what could be a better way to spend some reading time? Always interesting and thought provoking- especially in his asides, this is a great essay.

Lost Youth
Lost Youth

5.0 out of 5 stars excllent unusual read- page turner!, 30 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Lost Youth (Kindle Edition)
I picked this up on my kindle without huge expectations especially given the generic title- but I was blown away. It was the most unusual and interesting novel I've read in ages. Great characterization and a fascinating take on youth in revolt. The author has great scene setting skills and I read it straight through. The character of Bill is fascinating- ambiguous and unsettling- read it.

The Woman Who Was the Desert Dream
The Woman Who Was the Desert Dream
by William Coles

5.0 out of 5 stars a classic of desert writing, 18 Oct. 2013
We are used to the desert seen through the eyes of the explorer- Thesiger, Doughty, Lawrence...then along comes Coles. He knows the desert intimately- he's competed in the world's hardest footrace- the marathon de sables- yet his view is completely new and interesting. Anyone with an interest in the desert should read this book- and so should anyone with an interest in new and incredibly funny characters- full of gems and highly recommended. I'm loving it!

The October List
The October List
by Jeffery Deaver

1.0 out of 5 stars this book defies the rules of story telling, 9 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The October List (Hardcover)
I am a HUGE fan of Deaver. I pre-ordered this book. I saved it for a flight. And I left it on the plane. But that's just me. I think some people MIGHT like this- but you have to face the giant hurdle of starting afresh with each chapter. In a word- it messes with the basic idea of a story- 'what comes next?'. When it's changed into 'what came before' we're in a different zone- and one I, for one, hated. I am only writing this because if you loved lincoln rhyme and the masterful bodies left behind this is VERY different. Think Virginia Woolf meets James Patterson. A story is helped by surprise but is NOT made of them. It's like having a burger with no bun and salad etc. The basis of a story is unpacking to the full a promising premise. 2 or 3 surprises are enough. Too many and we suspect everything and it loses all credibility.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2014 11:17 AM GMT

The Anarchist Detective: (Max Cámara 3)
The Anarchist Detective: (Max Cámara 3)
by Jason Webster

5.0 out of 5 stars the best is halfway through, 17 Aug. 2013
Another thoughtful and gripping read from Mr Webster. The story has several elements- which come together later on in the book. I read it on holiday and it is still in my mind, very authentic writing.

Red Top: Being a Reporter - Ethically, Legally and with Panache
Red Top: Being a Reporter - Ethically, Legally and with Panache
by Bill Coles

5.0 out of 5 stars essential reading for any would-be journalist, 21 July 2013
This is a mighty mighty handbook for any writer. It contains the distilled lessons of twenty plus years on the tabloids. But it is much more- its funny and uplifting and very very interesting. Everyone must deal with the news in some form these days- read this and you'll know all you need to know. It's a real gem.

The Woman Who Knew What She Wanted
The Woman Who Knew What She Wanted
by William Coles

5.0 out of 5 stars his best yet, 14 Jun. 2013
Mr Coles has again written something beyond categorisation. He writes in a lonely genre- love stories by men. But he does it so well! I was gurning with anticipation (horrid image but still) at hearing the advice women would give men if they ONLY LISTENED. The thing is we trust him. Not only is he a confident good looking chap we suspect these stories are deeply rooted in reality. You learn something every time you read a book by Coles- what more can one ask? More please.

The Commanding Self
The Commanding Self
by Idries Shah

5.0 out of 5 stars another important read, 5 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Commanding Self (Paperback)
The commanding self is the 'you' that is on autopilot- the 'ego' that gets bruised by criticism and exalted by praise. Does it control you or do you control it? One insight of this book is that the commanding self is not 'bad', it just 'is'. Get used to living with it in a way that benefits you all round rather than making you a victim of your circumstances and what the last person you talked to said.

Knowing How to Know: A Practical Philosophy in the Sufi Tradition
Knowing How to Know: A Practical Philosophy in the Sufi Tradition
by Idries Shah

5.0 out of 5 stars essential reading, 5 Jun. 2013
After 'The Sufis', also by Shah, I find this to be a very important book for me. I often return to it- always to gain some new insight. It's pretty shocking to me that a book of worthless s*** like the alchemist can have so many reviews when something of absolute gold like this can have one. Now figure the reason the world is as it is. Just get it and read it and grow!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3