Profile for Joe Kosma > Reviews

Content by Joe Kosma

Joe Kosma

The British Soldier of the First World War (Shire Library)
The British Soldier of the First World War (Shire Library)
by Peter Doyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed with great illustrations, 30 Nov. 2011
This book is a great starting point for researching the Tommies of the First World War.

It contains detailed examples of uniforms, vehicles, weapons and other parts of the army's uniform, equipment etc. of the period.

A very thin book, that could stand to be a big thicker with more content, but as a quick reference or a starting point, this book is highly recommended.

I'd advise purchasing this book alongside other books about WWI, as it does a good job of providing context and gives you an idea of the tommy 'experience', good to have in mind when reading about the events of the war at large.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2011 6:19 PM GMT

Tiger Premier Electric Guitar Gig Bag
Tiger Premier Electric Guitar Gig Bag

4.0 out of 5 stars Durable and Economic, gets the job done!, 30 Nov. 2011
Bought this for my brother as a Christmas Present. It is durable, fits a variety of traditional guitar shapes (strats, LPs etc. but no good for an explorer or a flying V!).

It keeps the guitar protected from the elements and has carried guitars to band practices, gigs, recording studios with no damage to the guitar.

Ideal for shoestring budgets or beginners, but if you can stretch to spend a few more quid, then I'd go for something with a bit more padding, as this one is a little on the thin side.

Inception and Philosophy: Because It's Never Just a Dream (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series)
by David Kyle Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK read, but some parts with take you to dreamland..., 30 Nov. 2011
I was looking forward to reading this book immensely, both because I loved the movie and I'm a big fan of pop philosophy books.

However, upon recieving this book I was slightly disappointed. The book is divided into sections, the first of which contains a handful of essays speculating on whether 'it was all just a dream' and 'did the spinning top fall at the end' and the like. This fact in itself wasn't the source of my disappointment (what good is a book about Inception without discussion of the ending?), however, the essays in this first section contained little to none in terms of philosophical theory, perspective and content, and read like bad blog posts with a lot of conjecture and arguably spurious interpretations of events in the movie. It was essentially the respective essay's authors giving their 'two cents' about the outcome of the movie, their opinion rather than philosophical analysis. If I wanted that I'd go on an internet forum or discuss the film with my friends.

Once I'd laboured through this first section, the book notably improved, with better essays with more actual philosophy in it. One thing I love about pop philosophy books is the interpretation of films etc. with the theory and perspective of big name philosophers in mind (The 'Final Fantasy and Philosophy' essay 'Final Fantasy VII as a Writerly Text', analysisng FFVII from the perspective of Roland Barthes theories being one example, and one of my favourites). This mid book improvement was welcome, but my first section had marred my opinion of the rest of the book, and felt myself finding it difficult to enjoy, a rarity for me.

The nature of these books is that they are a collection of essays by philosophers, university professors/lecturers and other such writers of the humanities. So I suppose my main bug bear isn't the essays themselves, but the choice of authors, essays and editing on part of the editor, publisher etc., who really should've been a bit stricter with the quality of some of the essays.

I felt the poor quality of some of the essays in this book marred the overall experience and fails to exploit the rich opportunity for analysis and discourse a heavily philosophically driven movie like Inception has to offer.

I purchased this book along with the Open Court version of 'Inception and Philosophy'. Of the two, I preferred the Open Court version, which had a better selection of essays, topics and the quality was far more consistent.

I would recommend this book, but only half-heartedly. It's OK, but there are too many niggling flaws in it for my liking.

In Summary:

Pros:
-Big selection of essays that explores the movie in a diverse set of philosophical and ethical perspectives
-Easy to read

Cons:
-The First Section (about 3 essays or so) is opinion and conjecture, and lacking in the amount of actual philosophy
-Essays throughout are of inconsistent quality (most are good, some not).