Profile for shelia > Reviews

Beginners Yoga and Beyond: Elements of Yoga: Earth Foundation with Tara Lee
Dvd ~ Tara Lee
Offered by New Shoot Pictures Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Great place to start yoga..., 7 May 2013
I have had some bad experiences with yoga. However I felt the content was easy going and increased intensity gently. Would definitely recommend this for anyone new to yoga.

Stories I Only Tell My Friends
Stories I Only Tell My Friends
by Rob Lowe

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing..., 7 May 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it is above all else well written. Something that is essential even to a autobiography. I felt he truly is telling his friends the stories of his life.

Rumpole at Christmas
Rumpole at Christmas
by John Mortimer

5.0 out of 5 stars Festive fun with Rumpole!, 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Rumpole at Christmas (Paperback)
Rumpole is a delightful read at any time of the year, however, the `Rumpole at Christmas' collection of stories are a firm favourite.

It offers an insight into Rumple's home life and how he applies similar wit to that used in court, to the court of home. The first story reveals the tactful negotiation required at cocktail drinks with the local vicar.

Lots of fun and giggles and this book will enter your `gearing up for Christmas' routine, for years to come.

p.s a great choice of gift for all!

Me Before You
Me Before You
by Jojo Moyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent engaging read, very hard to put down!!, 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)
I read this book in three days, as it's very hard to put down.

I felt the author was honest with the characters she had created and you really started to feel that you knew them and could relate to them, especially Lou Clark who has found it difficult to move away from her town and her comfort zone.

The ending was surprising, which I believe demonstrates the courage of the author to stay true to her characters even when that is difficult.

If you enjoy reading this book, I think the French film `untouchable' is definitely worth a watch; it explores similar issues with a more humorous angle.

Pakistan: A Personal History
Pakistan: A Personal History
by Imran Khan

4.0 out of 5 stars It is not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country, 11 Dec. 2012
Those words were made famous by JFK, however, I believe Imran Khan has taken them as literally as any countrymen could.

I read this book as I have an interest in Pakistani politics and the part it plays in current international politics. Of which Imran Khan is playing a huge part at present, as he hopes to be elected prime minister one day.

I started to follow international cricket around the time Imran Khan retired, so I only knew that he was heralded a hero but I was not familiar with the key role he played in winning the cricket World Cup in 1992. However, as a sportsmen he has accurately applied the determination and focus required to play sport at the highest level to his politics and his philanthropic work. He has an idea to help develop and consequently change his country, and in the face of much opposition and adversity, his will to succeed overshadows the doubters.

This book offers an insight into the difficulties that arise within a country that is driven by great division of class, corruption and the merry go round of political dynasties. Even with that, I felt inspired by the lengths that Imran Khan has gone to help the country rather than complain about its imperfections.

A worthwhile read, a good overview of Pakistan and its political history, with a touch of cricket.

Joy
Joy
by Jonathan Lee

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, tackles a taboo subject very well..., 25 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Joy (Hardcover)
I felt this book was going to be about how hard law firms work their trainees and with some terrible stories that dispel the myth that being a lawyer is really glamorous. This book is not about that, it's so much more than that.

First of all it's worth mentioning the format of the chapters, which are set out so you are following a course of a day, and every other chapter you are privy to some characters conversations with a therapist. This book looks into the ideas of suicide and how those feelings play out and how plans for a suicide come together.

It's interesting in the therapists chapters, the reader never hears from the therapist so it can feel that the reader is the therapist as we predict the answers into the dialogue. This I think is the bit that makes you reflect more on the questions the author is subtly posing about suicide.

I wasn't expecting to like this book as the characters are hard to like and relate to in the beginning, but this is because as the chapters go on we are peeling back the layers of these characters. Learning their pasts, understanding their present and anticipating what their future will be. The style of this book is utterly refreshing and engaging, even if not joyful.

Rumpole Rests His Case
Rumpole Rests His Case
by John Mortimer

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun read, 25 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Rumpole Rests His Case (Paperback)
Rumpole cleverly reflects on the realities of law and life, especially when they cross over. Personally I like and remember the first story the most; which is Rumpole and the old familiar faces. We have all had moments when we bump into an old face that we wish we hadn't, but for Rumpole this is likely to be a previous client. Which can only mean two things; a satisfied client or one that has just finished serving time.

John Mortimer personalises Rumpole very well and his analysis on situations as they are unfolding is comedic. Though Rumpole is an old bailey hack, it is his personal relationships which are most interesting and humorous. I found this to be a fun train read.

I'm Still Here [Blu-ray]
I'm Still Here [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Casey Affleck

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, I suppose, 25 Aug. 2012
This review is from: I'm Still Here [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Some friends saw this in the cinema, so I was excited to get this on blu ray. To be honest, there a few laughs for about four minutes, but generally not something you would want to watch unless you were bored.

The Junior Officers' Reading Club: Killing Time and Fighting Wars
The Junior Officers' Reading Club: Killing Time and Fighting Wars
by Patrick Hennessey

4.0 out of 5 stars Genuine account of modern warfare, 11 Sept. 2011
This book tells the author's story of being trained to become an officer and then going out on the frontline.
I feel Hennessey's account is sincere as it is absolutely no hold bars describing the training at Sandhurst, performing duties at Buckingham Palace, facing the reality of the Iraq war, fighting in Afghanistan and surprisingly the amount of boredom.

I have read other `war stories' such as Jarhead, and this far surpasses those. What I found most interesting is how Hennessey presents what war is like to the reader, there is a section in the second half of the book that vividly tells the reader how constant the bombs and gunfire are and distress he felt.This book definitely stays with you.

The writing is good though not great, but I accept this as Hennessey is an army officer who offers a civilian a glimpse into his world.

A Beginner's Guide To Acting English
A Beginner's Guide To Acting English
by Shappi Khorsandi

4.0 out of 5 stars A guide to Iran..., 11 Sept. 2011
I do not usually read auto biographies, however I would recommend this one!

Shappi Khorsandi does not only offer insight into own life, but helps the reader to understand the life of an immigrant living in Britain and the difficulty of understanding their new, cultural identity.

I enjoyed the backdrop of both Tehran and Ealing/West London.

The anecdotes were delightful and kept a good pace throughout.

Page: 1 | 2