Profile for pacin07 > Reviews

Content by pacin07

pacin07

by David Vann

2.0 out of 5 stars False Advertising?, 22 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Legend of a Suicide (Paperback)
Although I enjoyed the style(s) in which these stories were written, I must say that upon finishing the book my first thought was "huh?". Not since I drunkenly decided to watch Donnie Darko had I felt so confused.

To me at least, there are two main problems with this novel/novella/collection of novels. The first of these is the way in which it has been marketed. Simply put, I would have enjoyed this more had I known going in that this was a collection of stories revolving around a central theme or themes. Unfortunately, the marketers seem to have gone out of their way to hide this fact. READ THIS BOOK AS A COLLECTION OF SHORT STORIES AND YOU'LL ENJOY IT MORE. Sorry for shouting there, just trying to save you from a state of confusion, frantic back-tracking to earlier pages and the sneaking feeling you've been duped.

The other main issue I have with this book is that some of the stories simply aren't as strong as others and the ordering seems a little mixed up. After the memorable brutality of frozen Alaska, the following two stories that serve as the footnote to the collection are frankly unmemorable and to be honest, seem a little tacked on to bulk up the page numbers.