Profile for M. Jackson > Reviews

Content by M. Jackson

M. Jackson (Newcastle, England)

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but not quite the same, 16 Mar. 2014
I love these hearts and are a great price. However in the image the heart is hanging on a chain but mine came attacked to thick cord.

Royal & Langnickel RSET-POT7 8 inch Wooden Sculpting (6 Piece)
Royal & Langnickel RSET-POT7 8 inch Wooden Sculpting (6 Piece)

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but just not good enough., 24 Nov. 2010
This is a good set of tools which come with a very handy plastic pouch. Certainly perfect for beginners and the variety of shapes you can get with them is very useful and provides the chance to create lots of different shapes. However, having had these merely a few months, I find myself wishing I had some metal clay tools instead as I feel that they are a bit too clumsy and chunky and so I am unable to give the product a full 5 stars.

The Leaping
The Leaping
by Tom Fletcher

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep reading..., 7 July 2010
This review is from: The Leaping (Paperback)
I urge everyone who pick up this book to keep reading if they find the first couple of chapters a bit tedious; like I did. It starts a little slow and doesn't seem to be getting far but thanks to the well written prose it flows well and so is quick to read through. The middle and the end of the book are truely exciting and is such a good take on the werewolf myth.

Inferno (Vintage Classics)
Inferno (Vintage Classics)
by Dante Alighieri

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Translation, 2 April 2010
There is a critique on the Penguin Classics version of Inferno that was translated by Robin Kirkpatrick, that stressed the reader found it difficult to enjoy the text due to not feeling sufficiently educated in History and Biblical lore. As for myself, I do not feel that I am particularly educated in these subjects either, but in this Vintage Classic version of Dante's Inferno, I certainly did not find that this affected whether I enjoyed it or not. The commentary put forward by Steve Ellis is very good and it flows well. Where in the past I felt like I would tend to ignore side notes and just wished to get on with the text, I found it very easy to read them and not feel as though I was getting side tracked. All in all, I actually found the text to be a pretty straight forward and easy read. As for the content in Inferno, it chilled me right to the bone and I loved every Canto.

Battle Royale (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Battle Royale (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Koushun Takami

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than the film., 22 Feb. 2010
Now don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy the film even if it is just a bit of violent fun; but the novel is truly fantastic. Reading the book you are introduced into the very thoughts and feelings of individual students and you get an insight into exactly what it is they are going through and how their past may be influencing how they are reacting to the battle royale programme. This is very creepy to read and even made me feel almost nervous and on edge throughout and I'm no stranger to reading Japanese horror/sci-f; and yes, the book even managed to make me shed a tear. I recommend this novel to anyone and what is so good about it, and probably most terrifying of all, is that it leads you on to wondering how exactly you would fair and what exactly you would do in the same situation. Excellent book!

The Calling (Dragon Age (Paperback))
The Calling (Dragon Age (Paperback))
by David Gaider

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all Dragon Age fans., 26 Jan. 2010
I actually really enjoyed this book, maybe even more so than The Stolen Throne. There are the odd parts where it isn't wonderfully written and sentence structures can sometimes really lack, but at the end of the day I found that that just didn't really matter. I found I could easily get swept along in the story and it was a very fun read. I think this is a must for all fans of Dragon Age.

The Stolen Throne (Dragon Age (Paperback))
The Stolen Throne (Dragon Age (Paperback))
by David Gaider

5.0 out of 5 stars A definate for anyone who has played Dragon Age: Origins, 19 Jan. 2010
I highly recommend The Stolen Throne to anyone who has played Dragon Age: Origins. It is a very easy and fun read which gives a wonderful insight into the troubles Fereldan faced before those in DA:O. I also really enjoyed learning about young Loghain and getting an insight into who he was as a person and therefore his possible motivations behind what he did in the game. Reading The Stolen Throne truely adds great depth into an already fascinating world created by Bioware.

Thor: A Novel
Thor: A Novel
by Wayne Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 12 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Thor: A Novel (Hardcover)
I absolutely adore this book. It is written very well, from the point of view of the family dog who views the family as his 'Pack'. Thor is a truely wonderful read. I did not realise there was a movie based off this book and could not comment on that, but this book is a must!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2015 11:18 PM GMT

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

5.0 out of 5 stars Love for the characters, 13 Mar. 2008
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
I have never fallen so much in love with the characters in a story as I have done with The Book Thief. Garunteed to have you in tears. Fantastic!