Profile for anonymous > Reviews

Surviving the Early Loss of a Mother: Daughters Speak
Surviving the Early Loss of a Mother: Daughters Speak
by Anne Tracey

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally our loss has been acknowledged!, 29 Mar. 2009
I lost my mother when I was eight years old. My life without her was extremely traumatic. I truly believe that I have been profoundly affected by that loss. It affects every part of my being. I have always felt socially inadequate (almost like an outsider looking in at the rest of the world). This book has finally acknowledged that loss.
The author, Anne Tracey approaches this very sensitive subject with a tenderness which is evidently born out of her own personal experiences of loss and grief. As each chapter unfolds, you walk gently through the lives of 26 women who all lost their mother when they were young. 26 very different beginnings but their experiences quickly merge together as they struggle to survive in an uncertain world without the care, security and love of a mother.
I have never been able to find a book like this written in Ireland. Reading the feelings and experiences of other women like myself has definitely helped me to come to terms with my own loss. I will read and re-read this book many times. I don't feel alone anymore.
Quite simply, a very `powerful' book, beautifully written and very much needed. This book will bring comfort to so many women and should be essential reading for anyone who comes into contact with young children who have been bereaved of their mother!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2012 5:23 AM BST