Profile for Klarmel > Reviews

SPSS for Psychologists, Third Edition
SPSS for Psychologists, Third Edition
by Nicola Brace

4.0 out of 5 stars Outdated but still useful, 10 Oct. 2012
This was the recommended SPSS text on my MSc Psychology degree - I'm not sure why as it wasn't the most recent edition even then. However, I was surprised by how useful I still found it. It covered all the SPSS processes that I needed to use (and had forgotten since my BSc!)in an easy to follow, step-by-step way. I would have struggled to use SPSS without it, but I imagine that using a text designed for the relevent version of SPSS would have been even better!

Research Methods and Statistics in Psychology
Research Methods and Statistics in Psychology
by Hugh Coolican

4.0 out of 5 stars Covers all the bases - but a bit unwieldy, 8 Oct. 2012
I found this to be a comprehensive text, and one of the few that tries to incorporate all the areas you need - research methods, statistics, SPSS, qualitative and quantitative etc. However, because of the above, you tend to find yourself wading through a lot of stuff to get to where you really want to go - a little more structure would go a long way here - and (understandably, as no book can cover everything perfectly) some of the above parts are stronger than others. If you're looking for a book that `does it all' though, this seems to be one of the best around.

Statistics in Psychology: Explanations without Equations
Statistics in Psychology: Explanations without Equations
by Stephen Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all psychology students!, 1 Sept. 2011
This fantastic book is an essential read for anyone studying psychology. Easy to understand and without the complicated equations found in most other statistics texts, it makes the entire subject seem far less daunting. Real-life examples keep it fun and interesting, and I found I could relate to most of the subject matter as a result of this.

I wish this book had been written when I was in my first year of psychology as it is much easier to digest than any of the books I had access to at the time. As it is, I find myself referring to it throughout my Msc as the explanations are still so helpful.