Profile for CC2000 > Reviews

Content by CC2000

CC2000 "CC2000" (london, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Sony BDP-S6500 Blu-ray/DVD Player with Super Quick Start, 3D, Super WiFi and 4K Upscaling

5.0 out of 5 stars My review of this unit does not really concern its function as a Blu-ray player (which is pretty near perfect as I can see) as I, 17 Oct. 2015
It plays SACDs!

My review of this unit does not really concern its function as a Blu-ray player (which is pretty near perfect as I can see) as I did not buy this primarily to play blu-ray discs. I bought this because I do not have buckets of money to spend and I was looking for a new SACD Player to replace one whose disc draw broke. Nowadays dedicated SACD players costs anywhere from £450 going up to a couple of thousands of pounds. This brilliant units costs £126. Even though in the above infographics it does not have a tick next to SACD for this model I researched on the Sony website and looked at the PDF users manual. From that you can see that it is an SACD player as well as a Blu-ray player DVD player and CD player (I rarely find that information on technical specifications on Amazon's website is necessarily correct.)

The setup was a cinch. It delivers perfect 5.1 surround sound.

For my purposes (playing SACDs/ blu-rays/ DVD on my HD TV) it is absolutely perfect. I do not own a 4K TV yet so I have no idea what difference the upscaling of blu-ray disks is like (other reviews will have covered that already.)

Don't get me wrong, there are a couple of flaws with this machine, for instance the on-demand apps for freeview UK TV only comprise of BBC iPlayer and five on demand. There is no app for ITV player nor for All4. And from searching Sony's website's FAQ, it looks like they never will have. However that can be worked around with the £10 NOW TV box (which does have apps for BBC iPlayer 720HD, ITV iplayer SD, All4 SD and 5OD SD) or the more expensive Roku box which delivers full HD where transmitted. Also, the miracast does not work with IOS iPhones, and to date I find that the IOS app for the remote is very patchy at best. These flaws may well be a dealbreaker for anyone who has no interest in SACD surround sound music. But for me they are purely minor irritations and at this price it still makes it a fantastic purchase and brilliant bit of kit.

I looked for press releases of this blu-ray player and found that it is one of the latest is produced by Sony and described as their flagship model for summer 2015. This should make it pretty future proof. And any problems described above could well be fixed by future software upgrades.

I have attached a photograph showing the screen playing.

I'm happy to answer any further questions as best I can should you wish to ask.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2016 1:29 PM GMT

Rattle That Lock
Rattle That Lock

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD is brilliant and well worth the extra., 18 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Rattle That Lock (Audio CD)
Oh my goodness. This is a great album. I bought the dvd/cd version and beyond the brilliant music, I'm blown away by the package and its contents. I shall read Paradise Lost at a later date but how wonderful to have it included. My review is for the album and DVD. Much better songs than On An Island, a little bit Funky and Bluesy with a minimal bit of Ambient. Nothing feels contrived and no songs about missiles (Cruise- how I hate that song on his 2nd album). If you've got a Home theatre set up I cannot recommend getting getting the DVD or BD version enough, the surround sound mix is beautiful, all well placed and balanced. The Barn sessions are tiny gems in themselves plus you get a couple of re-workings of other songs from the cd, not to mention the videos for 4 of the album tracks, the animation for 'The Girl In The Yellow Dress' is a wonderful mix of Toulouse Lautrec and 'Rhubarb and Custard'. I've been a PF fan since Animals and can say that this album kicks The Division Bell and Endless River into a cocked hat. I feel very lucky to be going to see him live next Thursday at the Royal Alfred [sic] Hall. I cannot wait. Buy the DVD or Blu Ray, you won't regret it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2015 10:27 PM BST

Amused To Death
Amused To Death
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden EXTRA track. Surround Sound problem SOLVED for PS3, 7 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Amused To Death (Audio CD)
It is a brilliant album made even better with the 5.1 mix on the Bluray. There is even a hidden extra on the bluray that's hiding in plain view. There's a sublime 9 minute mesmeric ambient mix track that plays when the menu screen is on that knocks the Pink Floyd Endless River into a cocked hat.

Initially I had a problem playing the 5.1. I had nothing coming from the sub and 5.1 mix didn't even register, everything came from my front speakers no matter what settings I chose, or so I thought. I use a PS3 for Bluray and optical cable to my Sony SACD home theatre. I finally found the solution. Settings for PS3- Go to:
Settings:
Video Settings:
BD-Audio Output Format (Optical Digital):
Bitstream (Mix).

Also make sure your player and amp are both up to date with the latest firmware.

I was so disappointed after waiting 1.5 years for this, Now I'm delighted!
If you too are having this problem (and it seems some people are) I hope whatever BD player you're using you can extrapolate some info from my solution and configure your player to access the surroundsound of this album, It's brilliant. Let me know if it helps.

This 5.1 mix is astounding and opens up the music like Qsound promised but never really did.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2015 5:17 PM BST

HoMedics Shiatsu Back and Shoulder Massager - Grey/Black
HoMedics Shiatsu Back and Shoulder Massager - Grey/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable Relief. I Love It., 27 Nov. 2013
I suffered for a long time with a knotted muscle under one of my shoulder blades and tight knots in my lower back. Previously one of my friends could shift these knots with a deep, hard, painful (but pleasurably so) massage using his whole weight focussed through his elbow. But I was looking for a more reliable solution. I found this and am so glad that I did.

After very few intense sessions over about 1 week my knots went. I'm 6 foot tall and weigh just over 14 stone. I really leant onto it to get the full massage that I needed. I reckon the build quality is fantastic. It's still going strong THREE years later, I use it once or twice a week now just because it feels so good and keeps the knots at bay.

Some people have written low star ratings saying that it's "lumpy and uncomfortable", my response to that is that it's as lumpy and uncomfortable as you wish it to be. The harder you push your back into it the lumpier it'll feel. If you don't want a hard massage, don't lean onto it so much. I leave it on a high back living room chair and use this chair solely for the massage. I can't get my friends out of the chair when they visit. Honestly it's one of the best products I've ever bought.

London 2012 Olympic Games  [Blu-ray]
London 2012 Olympic Games [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Kenneth Branagh

1.0 out of 5 stars Why not in 3D?, 29 Dec. 2012
How ridiculous of the BBC to televise and record the very brilliant opening and closing ceremonies, ruin them during the original broadcast with crass commentaries, and then to NOT produce a BD in 3D. Unbelievable.

Le Creuset Classic Cast Iron Oval Casserole, 29 cm - Midnight Blue
Le Creuset Classic Cast Iron Oval Casserole, 29 cm - Midnight Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Lasts a Lifetime., 16 Sept. 2012
My father gave me one this size in orange on the day I left home and moved into a shared flat. At the time I didn't fully appreciate why he'd given me a Le Creuset as opposed to a cheaper one. Well 26 years later and I can honestly say that every time I use it I am more than grateful for his present. Unbelievably, it's still in fantastic condition and after many years of delicious casseroles burnt round the edges it's so easy to clean and still comes up looking like new. Sadly my father has long since passed and I reckon this could well see me out too. It's a shame Le Creuset don't make cars.

Basic Instinct 2 (Uncut Version) [DVD]
Basic Instinct 2 (Uncut Version) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sharon Stone
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars very poor, 4 Jun. 2009
One of those movies where you spend the whole time thinking , "does any of this really matter?" Because whatever plot you're being led into, you just know there will be twist after twist after twist right up until the final totally implausable Twistiest of twists. I did like the fact that it was set in London though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2010 11:05 PM GMT

Vertical Limit [DVD] [2001]
Vertical Limit [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Scott Glenn
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars He's lovely!, 27 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Vertical Limit [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I'm not sure they got this film right. The heart throb guy is very pretty. The wealthy guy is evil. The sister is stupid and should have been left to die anyway. The scary man would like to find his wifey-popsicle. The Mountain was big but the air was a bit blowey, the snow was warm and inside the mountain it was very very cosy (they even had drugs 'n all!) The one thing I am sure that they got right was the American psyche that the way forward in saving stupid people's lives is to go in with high explosives and blow everything up. Who said life doesn't imitate art.
I have got to say though that I really enjoyed this film. I watched it for free on tv but to make sure as little revenue gets back to the producers etc, I am going to boycot all the products that were advertised during its screening. BTW. The two stars are for the pretty guy playing being pretty very well.

Chasing Pavements / That's It, I Quit, I'm Moving On
Chasing Pavements / That's It, I Quit, I'm Moving On

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful song , great voice!, 10 Dec. 2007
I've just heard Adele on the Jonathan Ross show. This is a beautiful song, very original and Adele's got such an emotive voice. I can't wait for the album.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2007 9:34 AM GMT

Legion of Boom [DVD AUDIO]
Legion of Boom [DVD AUDIO]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Great surround album!!!, 9 Oct. 2007
I've not heard of the Crystal Method before, but being a fan of surround mixes and finding far too few being released I stumbled upon this one. The music is quite brilliant, It's dark, driving, threatening, urgent and quite sublime. Very reminiscent of the music played in clubs such as Melt, Warriors, and FF and albums such as the Flying Rhino Record compilations, Travelling compilations, Sacha and Digweed compilations and DJ Jon The Dentist. This is not dinner party music, this is very definitely post club mood music, it'll take you on a journey though it might not be a pleasant one it'll certainly be scary and thoroughly exhilarating .

The surround sonics of this album are beautifully mixed with all the various speakers delivering just the correct amount of detail to ensure that throughout the whole album, you're immersed in an ocean of sounds whilst being attacked by sharks from every direction. This is no feeding frenzy however, it's all so brilliantly choreographed and there's nothing gratuitous here.

If you do buy this disc and love it the same as I do I'd recommend you also checking out Bts' DVD "This Binary Universe", Thomillas' SACD "Freeze" and the DVD-a of Tippers' "Surrounded".

Page: 1 | 2