Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Wexford, Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Guided Meditation (Divinity)
A Guided Meditation (Divinity)
by Glenn Harrold
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for your physical health too, 23 Mar. 2012
I bought this ages ago (7years ago I think) and the first time I played it, I will admit, I didn't like his voice. A bit too Del Boy to take really seriously. Anyway I used it a few times and it was OK - I wouldn't call it a meditation by my understanding but it is a good relaxation CD. Also it uses a lot of visualization and I'm really rubbish at that sort of thing.
Lately I've been under quite a bit of work related stress with various stress related symptoms - in particular raised blood pressure. So, I was looking on different websites for ways to deal with work related stress and on one site I saw Glenn Harrold's name mentioned and thought "I'm sure I have one of his CDs", and after a lot of rummaging I found it.
I've been listening to it for a few days now and on one of the days I was also wearing a 24hour BP monitor. I did two of the 1/2 hour meditations (one in my lunch break and one in the evening) and I am amazed at the effect it had on my blood pressure. From typical readings of 140/95 (while I was working) my BP when I meditated was on average 105/70. Maybe all meditation will do this - it just happened that it was this particular CD I was using on that particular day when I had the monitor on. On this basis I give it 5 stars and hope that if I keep using it will improve my BP the whole time and not just when I meditate.

Catit Fresh & Clear Small Drinking Cat Water Fountain
Catit Fresh & Clear Small Drinking Cat Water Fountain

3.0 out of 5 stars Before you buy....try this, 11 Sept. 2011
I bought this, as I think most people did, to get my cats to drink more. I have 2 cats, the oldest is almost 11 and I had never seen her drink the water in the bowls in the house. She will happily go out into the garden and drink from the bird bath or any puddle no matter how green or dirty. I was having to go out to create clean "watering holes" in the garden for her to drink from. I read the reviews for the water fountain and saw the videos on youtube of cats having great fun drinking from and playing with the water fountain so I ordered one. The product is fine, its easy to put together and the price is OK. You will need to buy spare filters to change every month or so. Unfortunately my timid little cat wouldn't go near it (as another reviewer had found some cats are just frightened of it). My other younger bolder cat used it once and ignored it after that. What I did discover later is that cats don't like their water bowls placed near their food (I've had cats for 20 years and never knew this) - I found this out from a book by Pam Johnson Bennett called Cat Vs Cat. I now have two water bowls, one in the living room and one in the kitchen well away from where they eat and, miracle of miracles, I regularly see both cats drinking in the house.
It sounds so simple and I was sceptical about this making any difference but for me it has. Before you order a water fountain try placing the water bowls in a different location (give it a week or so). If that doesn't work try the fountain. If either cat had used it I would have given 5 stars because there is nothing wrong with the product per se. Unfortunately you can never second guess the little devils.
I hope this helps.

Southern Lights
Southern Lights
by Danielle Steel

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Southern Lights (Paperback)
Its a long time since I have read a Danielle Steele novel. To me she has always been a good storyteller with a great imagination but this was a very lazily written book. There was little story and, what there was, was poorly put together - I did wonder was it really written by Danielle Steele or maybe a 17 year old? There wasn't a lot of substance to any of the characters who were basically "princesses", "wicked witches", "handsome princes/kings" and the "ogre".
Such a shame.

Recipes For A Perfect Marriage
Recipes For A Perfect Marriage
by Kate Kerrigan

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the usual, 24 April 2011
I really enjoyed reading this book. One of the other reviewers likened it to a lovely cup of tea and thats exactly right. I don't know if this falls into to the category of "chick-lit" - usually I avoid those types of novels (I can't bear the silly/ shopaholic/annoying/perfect characters). This one is different. The characters are "real" - Kate Kerrigan must be a great observer of people. I could recognize people I know, family, myself (usually when Tressa was being a cow!). It will make you think about love and life and whats real and whats illusion (or delusion).
It won't be everyones "cup of tea" and not every reader will agree with the premise of the book. You wouldn't call it action packed but it is a comfort read and the recipes look pretty good too! I would have given 5 stars but I kind of felt that Tressa and Bernadine kind of morphed into the same character towards the end of the book which I didn't feel at the start.
Looking forward to more from Kate Kerrigan

Green Darkness
Green Darkness
by Anya Seton

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 8 April 2010
This review is from: Green Darkness (Paperback)
I don't think I can do justice to how awful this book is. From the first few pages I began to doubt the positive reviews that convinced me to buy it (that and the fact that "Katherine" by Anya Seton IS a great book). The characters are mostly unlikeable and, judging by the dialogue, I get the impression that the author has a bee in her bonnet about British attitudes to Americans and foreigners in general. It was partly set in 1968 so maybe it just reflected the times but I found it uncomfortable. I was hoping it would get better when the "Tudor" part of the book began. It did slightly but not enough for me to continue reading. I gave up I'm afraid. It probably didn't help that I started this right after reading a really excellent book - "Portrait of an Unknown Woman" (roughly the same period in history but in a totally different league altogether).
For a good read that combines the theme of reincarnation and Anne Boleyn could I recommend Threads by Nell Gavin.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2014 4:39 PM GMT

The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn: The Most Happy
The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn: The Most Happy
by Eric Ives

5.0 out of 5 stars Readable history, 2 Feb. 2010
Rightly deserves all the positive reviews. It is thorough, balanced, sympathetic and very readable. He knows his subject and you really get a feel for the complex, intelligent woman Anne was and for the paranoia of the court of Henry VIII. Anne Boleyn's treatment of Princess Mary was undeniably cruel and good men such as Thomas More and John Fisher lost their lives because of her - this is how she tends to be remembered but there was another side to her. She was a real religious reformer at a time when there was much corruption in the Church. Probably the real reason she was executed was that she interfered in politics - for example her clash with Cromwell over the dissolution of the monasteries - not because Henry tired of her or she could not give him a son. It is true that if you only read one book about Anne Boleyn this is the one but come on!!! Tudor history and Anne Boleyn in particular are a bit of an addiction. You are not going read just one book. After reading this I am halfway through Alison Weir's "The Lady in The Tower" - very,very good, she truly makes history read like a novel and is clearly an Eric Ives fan.

John Singer Sargent: The Early Portraits: Complete Paintings (Complete paintings of John Singer Sargent)
by Richard Ormond

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 29 Dec. 2009
A book to treasure. Gorgeous, high quality colour images with detailed information on the various sitters.
The portraits speak for themselves.

Elizabeth's Women: The Hidden Story of the Virgin Queen
Elizabeth's Women: The Hidden Story of the Virgin Queen
by Tracy Borman

5.0 out of 5 stars A different view point, 29 Dec. 2009
Probably the best book I have read about the great lady. I really like the approach that Tracy Borman has taken - it shows a side to Elizabeth I that doesn't usually come across in most biographies. Still the complex, contradictory, sometimes vindictive woman that we've all read about but this book focuses on the events and the people which made Elizabeth the way she was. It is impossible not to feel great sympathy for her, particularly for the young motherless princess. The strongest characteristic which comes through, for me, was her loyalty to those she loved.
It sparked my imagination in a way history books don't usually. I found myself wondering so many "what ifs" while reading this book - what if she had married and had children? What if she had met Mary Queen of Scots? What if Anne Boleyn had not been executed?
This is a very readable, far from boring account of Elizabeth I and I think it will appeal particularly to women because of the empathy the author has towards her subject.

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall
by Hilary Mantel

1.0 out of 5 stars hard going, 28 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Hardcover)
I so looked forward to reading this book especially given the great reviews at the time that I bought it. Weeks later I am still struggling with it - well actually I've decided to throw in the towel and give it to Oxfam! Lord above it is the most boring book written about one of the most exciting periods of English history. For the first few chapters I had to reread paragraphs because the writing style was so confusing. Cromwell is referred to as "he" throughout but even this is irritating. There seems to be a foggy, dreamlike feel to the book and it is SO slow moving. I am truly amazed by the people who found this book "unputdownable". I have read many books on this period - both historical fiction and history - and I really wanted to love this story but I couldn't.

Extremely Entertaining Short Stories: Classic Works of a Master
Extremely Entertaining Short Stories: Classic Works of a Master
by Stacy Aumonier

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Sept. 2009
I actually first got this book from my local library - I'll be honest, I liked the cover! I'd never heard of Stacy Aumonier before. If you like short stories or if you just like reading I would strongly recommend this book. Each story is very cleverly written and they are all very different but it is Aumonier's heart and understanding of human nature that really comes across through the writing . He died young of TB but what a lovely, compassionate man he seems to have been. The stories are "extremely entertaining",some will make you smile and some touch your heart and question your own attitudes.
Its a bit of a "brick" of a book but one to treasure and reread (which is why, after returing the book to the library, I then looked on Amazon for my own copy).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3