Profile for Stephen Maher > Reviews

Content by Stephen Maher

Stephen Maher "Steve" (GB)

eSynic 3.5" USB External Floppy Disk Drive Diskette 1.44MB FDD for Laptop PC - Compatible with Windows 98/SE/2000/ME/XP/VISTA/Windows 7
Offered by EsynicDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 25 July 2014
Plugged it in. It worked. Brilliant.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 (PC) [Download]
Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 (PC) [Download]

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had Photoshop..., 10 April 2014
But who can afford it? Elements is okay and I use it with Lightroom 5 for landscape photography and it pretty much does all I need. I wish I had the full version of Photoshop which I used in work but I got what I could afford and it does most of what I need. It's simple to use and understand and there are plenty of YouTube resources to assist if you need some online training.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (PC) [Download]
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (PC) [Download]

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgraded from Lightroom 3, 10 April 2014
I loved 3 which I used at work and wanted my own version for home use. Lightroom is so easy to use and understand and you can go as deep into Lightroom as yoou want to use all the detailing. I use this with Photoshop Elements 11 and Silver Effects and I'm pretty much sorted.

Samsung C410W Xpress Wireless Colour Laser Printer
Samsung C410W Xpress Wireless Colour Laser Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 10 April 2014
Sits ready for action, good clear print, takes a bit of time to warm up but hey, I'm in no rush. The paper tray does sit out of the footprint but I just deal with it. It's functional and gives a very decent print. The price was superb so couldn't pass it up really and being a laser printer, no dried up inks if its left alone for a bit. Result!

EasyAcc Mini Suction Cup Closure Sony Xperia Z Wallet Case Folio Flip Cover Leather Case Anti Shock Skin Pouch Pocket for Sony Xperia Z (Premium PU Leather, Black, Slim, for Men)

4.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, 10 April 2014
I got the phone and wanted something cheap. The suction cups don't always work and to be fair the side of the case has already split but for me, it does the job as it protects the phone. All I want really.

Naseby 1645: The Campaign and the Battle
Naseby 1645: The Campaign and the Battle
by Peter Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally...., 10 April 2014
Having borrowed and read Peter Young's books back in the 1980's on Edgehill, Marston Moor and Naseby (Newark library), I wanted to own the books. Naseby was the third volume and finally I have it. Young presents his research in a soldiery way (he was a Brigadier General in the Army) and throws in some insights as a commander. Visiting the battlesites with knowledge from the books makes such visits more emotive as you trace movements across the ground.
To be fair Naseby is my least favourite of the series, and you get the impression Young was frustrated with new publishers. He was unable to include illustrations and the only battle plan is Sprigge's illustration within the end covers. It lacks some of the information within say Marston Moor where you end up caring for some of the people (such as the widow of a slain Royalist escorted by Cromwell after Marston Moor) and Edgehill has a racier narrative but Naseby is a must have for any ECW buff so well pleased with my purchase.

Washita Memories: Eyewitness View of Custer's Attack on Black Kettle's Village
Washita Memories: Eyewitness View of Custer's Attack on Black Kettle's Village
by Richard G. Hardorff

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Eye Witness Testimony, 22 July 2013
I have had a huge interest in the Washita for a number of years and have read several books on the episode including Jerome Greene, Custer's own narrative in My Life on the Plains, Captain Albert Barnitz's narrative on life on the Southern Plains and other various excerpts from direct and contempory eyewitnesses, including Charles Brill. Hardorff has collected all the eyewitness statements and presented them in a highly useful book, essentisal for anyone interested in reading about the winter campaign of 1868/9. The Washita attack impacted on Custer's strategy at the Little Big Horn (attempting to take the women and children prisoner, splitting his regiment into battalions). The story unfolds in narratives and shows that Black Kettle ignored warnings and that Custer followed Sheridan's will and destroyed the village with an overwhelming force of soldiers attacking at dawn through the snow, destroying the village, wiping out small areas of resistence, killing women and using prisoners as hostages to escape potential disaster when Custer realised that the valley had a further 6,000 Cheyenne, Arapaho and Kiowas in various villages.
Where the book succeeds is in the personalities; Benteen blaming Custer for Major Elliot's detail being abamdoned (whether real or not), Gibson's reflections on a dismal night waiting to attack, Scout Jack Corbin advising Custer that women and children were being shot down by Myer's troopers, Barnitz's lone ride to where he was shot. From the village side we have the well-known narrative of Moving Behind Woman who hid with her aunt in the grass while the village herd of horses and mules were shot, eyewitness statements from inside the village and the narrative of a young Kiowa who was chased by Elliott to where Elliott was surrounded and wiped out.
It's the words that get to you - some of it matter of fact, some like John Ryan, who was promoted on the day to fill a sergeant's position (the original was killed) and Ryan's narrative is more graphic.
Hardorff challenges some accounts and there are added narratives from Godfrey who claimed he discovered the villages upstream but then wrote to Libby Custer that her husband failed to mention this in his book.
It's a narrative of destruction, self-belief, terror and self-congratulation based on who you were. Moving Behind Woman's description of returning to the destroyed village that night is haunting.
Great book, important documentation.

Balanced Scorecards and Operational Dashboards with Microsoft Excel
Balanced Scorecards and Operational Dashboards with Microsoft Excel
by Ron Person

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 29 April 2012
I purchased this book because I am a jobseeker with a background in Loss Prevention, which involved a lot of data analysis and reporting to the tall chairs upstairs. The book takes you through Balanced Scorecards, preparation and presentation, and getting the support for your project to integration. It's all there; SWOT analysis, Change State, Iniative Matrix and Strategy Maps and honing the critical factors.

The real gem for me is the structure of Operational Dashboards where Ron takes you by chapter through the range of functions (using MATCH & INDEX instead of VLOOKUP and arguing that VLOOKUP lacks the operational diversity of MATCH and INDEX). It's all in there as basics; Pivots and microcharts, custom labels, formatting, Lists and Tables, inter-active charts, forecasting, targets and alerts, drilling, add-ins, finishing touches, intergration and publishing.

The book sets out the groundwork. It's up to you to further your research and get the skills but it made me go further with Excel, which in itself is the most powerful program I've ever used and amazingly diverse. Will it get me that statistical or analytical job? That's up to me too and I'm pushing for it.

As a sideline, I registered with Ron's website and got a welcoming email asking why I bought the book? This made it feel very personal. It all feels very organised and I have not put the book away on the shelf since buying it.
If you want all the answers, it isn't in this book with such a huge spectrum of matter but it gives you the groundwork and it suggests where to find the expertise. Nice one. Top marks from me.