Profile for Arthur > Reviews

Wild Flowers of Britain and Ireland: A New Guide to Our Wild Flowers
Wild Flowers of Britain and Ireland: A New Guide to Our Wild Flowers
by Marjorie Blamey

4.0 out of 5 stars Better illustrations and the maps are great, 31 July 2012
This is a substantially revised and updated version of an earlier guide by the same authors. The earlier guide had an easy to use and simple guide at the start which was usually, but not always, very helpful. This edition omits that which is perhaps a pity, but the plants are grouped together in a logical order which, with a little experience, gets around the problem. The illustrations are greatly improved and the little maps indicating where each species is to be found are brilliant and very helpful. All in all, this is a great book.

I also have the Francis Rose "The Wild Flower Key" which is also well illustrated and a fine book but it's much harder to use the keys unless you are very familiar with a wide range of botanical terms. As a non-botanical amateur interested in identifying the flowers I see in my locality, I find the Fitter Fitter and Blamey book easier to use and it's what I usually take.

The Wild Flower Key (Revised Edition) - How to identify wild plants, trees and shrubs in Britain and Ireland
by Francis Rose

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but takes some effort, 15 Aug. 2011
I've been using an old Fitter, Fitter and Blamey and hit too many problems identifying plants from the key or which didn't match the illustration well. So I wanted something better and in very many ways this book is much better. Clear and accurate illustrations all well set out.

But I have found that learning to use the key is much more challenging than with Fitter and I'm not master of it yet. Because of this and the chunkier weight, I still need both.