Profile for Mr Ghostface > Reviews

Content by Mr Ghostface

Mr Ghostface (United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Lumie Bodyclock IRIS 500 - Aromatherapy Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock
Lumie Bodyclock IRIS 500 - Aromatherapy Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good, but pricey and only for those who want the aromatherpay option., 27 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off, I love, LOVE therapy/SAD lights. I've used them for years now and I honestly feel they help in the darker months to take the edge off the gloom if, like me, you're prone to suffer from it. They're also very pleasant lights just to use as normal lamps, regardless of use as an alarm clock and wake up/go to sleep aid. As such I'd give it five stars, and I would indeed give five stars to the previous Lumie we've used at home, the Active 250. Love it. So, what's up with the Iris 500?

Well, I would've hoped, maybe expected, that Lumie would've improved the display and the operation of the clock by now. Flicking through the myriad options with arrows on your remote gets pretty tedious and seems unnecessary (like the lack of connectivity on an iPad for many) but they haven't addressed this. An example: I work shifts, so my sleep pattern isn't very regular. On my smartphone I can flick the alarm on or off for the days I'm working all on one screen; with this lamp, I have to go into each day and manually change it, every time I change shift. This lack of functionality/accessibility really needs updating.

The manual is also lacking in numerous areas; for example, there appears to be no mention of changing audio options for the alarm. In fact, the only reference to sound is the optional beep at the end of the wake up light sequence. Considering previous models had options like white noise, waves, dawn chorus and FM radio, it seems something of a retrograde step to me. I could be missing something, but how would I know if there's no reference to it in the manual?

Personally, I'm also not that impressed with the design of this model. I understand it's to incorporate the aromatherapy element, but it just detracts from the aesthetic of the previous models for me. If you're not interested in the aromatherapy options, definitely go for one of the cheaper Lumie lamps, you'd save quite a bit and probably find it more suitable than this one.

Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Elements 13 (PC/Mac)
Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Elements 13 (PC/Mac)

3.0 out of 5 stars For intermediate and lesser-skilled users only., 19 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Now, if you have v12 or 11, you can go ahead and skip this product. Most of the developments in Elements 13 are bits of feature creep; there's no substantial evolution of the product here. If you're using older versions, it's worth a look, but only if you're a casual home user, not a professional. Elements versions of programs like Ps and Pr are basically simplified versions of the normal product, aimed at amateur consumers, and they come with helpful Guide modes to help you get going. The photo editing options are streamlined but still give you everything you would need when dealing with your own photographs (cropping, touch-ups, red-eye removal, resizing, straightening etc.). If you want to learn more about how to use either Ps or Pr, there are many great and free tutorials online; ie don't waste money buying an official tutorial product.

If you're interested in editing, Premier is probably the most accessible of the higher end editing packages (over FCP and Avid) and always has been, but I think it's still too complex for the average consumer, even in this simplified version. There are easier products around for editing home videos in a cheaper price range. I've never really cared for these intermediate software packages, they're the middle men of creative software and I don't really recommend them. If you're a professional, learn the full versions; if you're not, go for something simpler.

Medela Pre-Sterilised Pump & Save Breastmilk Bags
Medela Pre-Sterilised Pump & Save Breastmilk Bags

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job..., 19 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can't really say much about these, other than we managed to use them as efficiently as we have other bags, but didn't see any improvement over cheaper lines. We did have some spillage due to looseness at the top of the bag - I thought they might have a screw fitting, unfortunately they don't and the strap doesn't do the job very securely. Others seem to have the same problem, some don't, but we ended up pumping straight into the bottle as before and then into the bag before storing, so they're of no extra benefit really. I did like being able to write on them so we knew what date the milk was from.

BT 350 Digital Baby Monitor Lightshow
BT 350 Digital Baby Monitor Lightshow

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 28 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has got to be the best baby monitor I've seen. 18 lullabies to play softly and clearly (ie it doesn't sound like you're on hold) and there's white noise, womb sounds etc. The light displays are lovely, too, and I've got to confess I've used it myself to get to sleep. I'm not ashamed. It's lovely and relaxing, and with quiet white noise I've got to say I've been sleeping pretty well by my standards. Once my baby arrives, I might have to buy another one. You can control the sounds/music and timings of them from either part of the unit, which is very helpful, and the soft light the unit emits makes it just light enough for you to see what you're doing without being strong enough to wake up your baby.
I do appreciate that it's a pricey product, but honestly, I really do think it's worth every penny.

SlimX 1000 Ultra Formula Thermogenic Weight Loss Supplement
SlimX 1000 Ultra Formula Thermogenic Weight Loss Supplement

1.0 out of 5 stars Be realistic about controlling your weight., 28 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As much as we'd all love to get hold of a simple pill that helped us lose weight without too much effort, we have to be realistic; what these products claim they do and what they actually do doesn't really correlate much. That said, I'm slightly baffled by a couple of reviews from people who seem to have expected to lose weight simply by taking the pills. I mean, you honestly don't think you have to exercise to benefit from increased fat burn? Even if a product really can do that, you need to exercise to generate that process. These pills are unlikely to suppress appetite - in fact, considering the high amount of caffeine in them will increase metabolism, I'd say it's likely they could increase your appetite.

If you want to lose weight, first of all, eat and drink correctly. If you don't do that, you're not going to lose weight. Once your diet is under control, begin exercising regular (start slowly if it's been a long time) and you will gradually lose weight. Pills like this are a waste of time and money, and if you're really out of shape (read the label!) then they could actually do you more harm that good.

Tacwise Z3 Stapler 4-in-1 Nailer Kit
Tacwise Z3 Stapler 4-in-1 Nailer Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful bit of kit that I've used more than I expected already., 24 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Now, I've never been big on DIY, but recently I've had to get to grips with it as I can't afford to pay someone else to do it. I don't know a massive amount about tools but the day I got this piece of kit I used it to put down the underlay in my lounge and bedroom, and do it very securely, as well as fix some boarding in place. I must admit that, despite the mechanism being fairly easy to use, my hand did ache by the end of the job and I couldn't help thinking an automatic nailer would be better. But it did the job very well, and I also fixed a couple of loose panels on the shed which was only possible because there is no mains power required. I'm not sure there's enough power in it to use on any hard wood but it's very versatile and comes with plenty of refills of staples and different nails. It's not something I thought I'd use as much as I already have, surely a good sign.

Cole & Mason Brushed Chrome Oxley One Handed Pepper and Salt Mill Set, 145 mm - Silver, Set of 2

4.0 out of 5 stars A good product, if a little pricey., 24 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used Cole & Mason before so I was happy to try this product.
It's a good quality product, of that there's no doubt; the grinding requires little effort and you can adjust the coarseness of the grind you want. I didn't fancy using the samples they had already put in the mills so I emptied them out and used my own. I don't like pepper, personally, so I tried some dry coarse mixed herbs in the other mill as I was partly curious how it would deal with something else of a different texture. It worked great, finely grinding the herbs into the soup I was making. All good.
The missing star is basically for the price. It's definitely a quality product, but a bit expensive for what it is.

Philips Disney Princess Children's Night Light and Projector Integrated LED, 1 x 0.1 W

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice but something of a novelty item., 4 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My niece thought this was amazing when she used it, though it's clear the interest in the projection aspect of this lamp will wear off pretty quickly. It will soon become just a night light, but that said, it's a very pleasant night light. It did give me a chance to explain how projection works, so that was a bonus! It's cosy, it's warm, but the princess slides lose their novelty after a while. I don't know if there are alternative/replacement slides, if so that would extend this item's interest quite a bit.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great., 4 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What can you say about a child's electronic toothbrush that does what it says on the box? It works very well as far as hygiene is concerned, with a few bonuses over the last toothbrush my daughter had. The head is oval like a regular brush as opposed the round heads on most electronic brushes. Somehow it just feels more natural to use (yeah, I tried it myself) and more comfortable. It is also customisable for kids, they can add their choice of eight stickers to it, which I think is a nice touch, if not really necessary. The replacement head is welcome, though I've seen packs that have two, so that's not really as generous as it could be. Nevertheless, it's a good toothbrush.

Twin Peaks - The Entire Mystery [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Twin Peaks - The Entire Mystery [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Kyle MacLachlan
Offered by nevermor

3.0 out of 5 stars FIVE STARS FOR THIS WONDERFUL SHOW, BUT THE BOX SET IS FLAWED., 4 Aug. 2014
I won't waste too much time on how much this show has influenced me since I first saw it back in 1990; needless to say it remains a landmark of television that has perhaps been the greatest influence on television of the last 20-plus years. I love this show, I always will. It gets five stars. Not that it's uniformly great - the mid-late season two episodes are at times difficult to watch, so much has the writing fallen down - but when it was good it was unsurpassable.

So, why only three stars? A couple of things, basically there are missing HD shots, and the packaging has been mis-manufactured. I know it's unavoidable that some small pieces of negative might be misplaced over the years, but there are two in episode 1 alone (not the pilot). Also, some composited shots are still rendered in standard definition because the FX elements have been lost, the first being when Sarah sees Laura in Donna's face. It might be unavoidable, but when everything else around it is in HD, these flaws stick out a mile and distract you. When you see it all in SD, like in the Gold Box Set, these flaws were not noticeable.

The other thing is the packaging. The plastic back sleeve has been glued to the back of the box at the top, which is fine, but also the bottom if you stand it on end. This wouldn't be a problem but for the fact that it's this bottom end where the box opens, so you have to pull the plastic sleeve off its glue. How did this get past quality control? The other thing isn't so much a flaw as just simply a bad idea - cardboard sleeves for the discs. Discs scratch easily, so who ever thought this kind of packaging was suitable was an idiot. It's just not good enough. You'd think a box set as highly anticipated as this would have been scrutinised in every detail.

So, the show gets five stars, but this presentation is flawed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20