Profile for Mr Ghostface > Reviews

Content by Mr Ghostface
Helpful Votes: 1914

Mr Ghostface (United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Toni & Guy Salon Professional Compact AC Power 2100 W Hair Dryer - Black
Toni & Guy Salon Professional Compact AC Power 2100 W Hair Dryer - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent unit, but not spectacular., 3 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a reasonably good unit. It's powerful, which may or may not suit your needs, so dries your hair quickly, but I found that it can blow too hot, which is not good for your skin and definitely not your hair. It's also quite heavy, which made my arm ache after a bit. Unless you have thick, flowing locks that can take ages to dry, you won't need anything this powerful. This unit has a sister model, the 5371, which is cheaper and uses ionic technology. Ionic dryers basically blow negative electrons at the water in your hair, which help break up the water particles more quickly, though whether you would notice any significant difference is debateable. Ionic units also create ozone. This is not desirable, so I would recommend this non-ionic unit over the other one. But do look at other, cheaper hairdryers and be realistic about what you need from it.

Sealy Posturepedic Cooltech Gel Pillow - Medium
Sealy Posturepedic Cooltech Gel Pillow - Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool but not cold. A good product, if pricey., 3 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a big over-heater in summer, it's something we all experience at night when trying to get to/stay asleep. The gel side of the pillow worked very well at staying cool, though you won't want to use it except in summer unless you're really hot-headed. The other side is a normal pillow, so that's smart as you can use it any time of year. That said, if you're like me and like to put your arm or hand under the pillow, then you might prefer to use a normal pillow and just use this in the warmer months. Another thing to bear in mind is if you prefer to use anti-allergenic materials. I'm not that this pillow is suitable, as I couldn't find any information to say it was anti-allergenic fibre inside.

Overall, I'd give this four stars for performance/design, three for value for money.

32nd [MFI Certified] Lightning to USB Braided Nylon Data Power Charging Cable for Apple iPhone iPad iPod 1 metre 1m 3ft - Gold
Offered by 32ndShop

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust and efficient charger., 6 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the second of these cables I've had (due to me lending my first one out and never getting it back) and I couldn't be happier with it, hence buying the same one again. The cable feels pretty robust, it let's me keep my phone charged at work, which is vital as I use it a lot, and it charges up pretty quickly. Very happy with it.

Bosch PHS7961GB Classic Coiffeur Hair Straighteners
Bosch PHS7961GB Classic Coiffeur Hair Straighteners
Offered by 123 DIRECT LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely good kit, this., 13 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great piece of kit. Simple to operate, no fuss controls and effective at their intended function. They heat up very quickly, set to a default 140C which you can change to 120 up to 200C. One minor quibble is that there is no heatproof placer, such as a mat or pouch, which you do get with other high end kit. There's an automatic cut off after 90 mins, which is a very good idea, though I think this should be much shorter. You can also lock the plates together when you're done, which might take longer for them to cool down, but it does feel safer.

Philips Lumea SC2007/00 IPL Cordless Hair Removal Device on Body and Face
Philips Lumea SC2007/00 IPL Cordless Hair Removal Device on Body and Face

4.0 out of 5 stars Good unit, but with the same restrictions as the rest of this line., 17 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As with other Phillips hair removal with light technology, this is an effective unit but there are significant restrictions...

There are numerous ways of removing hair - shaving, waxing, epilating etc. - all eventuate with hair regrowth, as I'm sure most of us know. This kind of treatment is totally painless for suitable users, which I think is massively progressive in this kind of treatment. Epilators are effective in that they pull out the entire hair from the root, but even these grow back in six weeks or so, and let's face it, they hurt. This light treatment basically affects the melanin and hair root so that it interrupts growth, and the hair falls out naturally; ie it causes you to moult in treated areas. Do bear in mind that hair will regrow with this treatment, and it requires repeat treatment every two weeks (four weeks for legs) to maintain the hair-free zones. In time, we're assured, the hair regrowth lessens, from previous use of a larger unit in this line, I would suggest that hair regrowth takes a lot longer to reduce than is claimed. But what I can definitely support is that this is painless, it works straight out of the box, it's cordless, it's completely fuss-free to use. I can't approve of the convenience more.

But this kind of unit has limitations. It's also pretty expensive. It's not suitable for quite a lot of people and there are health conditions that don't allow for it too - it's pretty much only suitable for Caucasians with hair that is dark blonde, brown, dark brown or black. Redheads, light blondes, greying and white-haired people can't use it, though this unit appears to allow people with darker skin tones to use it compared to previous units, though still not all. So bear that in mind when purchasing. Since first using these units, I've also seen alternate manufacturers have produced similar products that are actually suitable for all skin types. It's something to consider.

Restrictions aside, this is clean, easy-to-use technology, painless and effective.

Philips Lumea Essential SC1983/00 IPL Hair Removal System for Face and Body
Philips Lumea Essential SC1983/00 IPL Hair Removal System for Face and Body

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective unit, with restrictions., 17 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

But this kind of unit has limitations. It's also pretty expensive. It's not suitable for quite a lot of people and there are health conditions that don't allow for it too - it's pretty much only suitable for Caucasians with hair that is dark blonde, brown, dark brown or black. Redheads, light blondes, greying and white-haired people can't use it, nor can anyone with more melanin in their skin that your average white person (not even olive skinned white people should use it). So bear that in mind when purchasing, and check the document on health restrictions here:

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2016 1:58 PM BST

Philips S720/17 Series 1000 Click and Style Shaver / Beard Trimmer in One
Philips S720/17 Series 1000 Click and Style Shaver / Beard Trimmer in One

4.0 out of 5 stars A good shaver and beard trimmer., 25 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Just when I needed a new shaver/trimmer, this came along. As a man who's had facial hair for about 17 years, I've tried every way of styling/grooming/trimming it, with varying degrees of success. Well, this unit has five settings (1-5mm) for beard trimming, which is great for me. Unfortunately, Philips tend not to provide pre-charged items which always annoys me a bit, but this shaver was sufficiently good that I forgot once I started using it. The attachments are detachable and therefore easily washed, which is helpful, though these shavers often used to come with a brush. Slightly misleading is the claim that this unit comes with a "two-pin UK charger", you will need an adaptor. This shaver is marketed somewhat towards younger shavers, but this is just a selling angle; it can be used and would be suitable for men of any age.

First Alert CO-FA-9B Carbon Monoxide Alarm
First Alert CO-FA-9B Carbon Monoxide Alarm
Offered by Forge Your Own Path

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CO detector/alarm, 25 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great unit and something you really need to have if you have any system in your house that can produce carbon monoxide. Most of us have a gas boiler, so get one of these. There's a seven-year warranty on this, it's tested during manufacture and has the CE mark. The alarm (I tested it) is pretty damn loud, at 85db, but if it could save your life, you want to be woken up! The sensor is constantly active and triggers the alarm once dangerous CO levels are detected. It runs on 2 x AA batteries and there is an LED indicator letting you know when the batteries are running low. All in all, a great unit. I feel safer having it in the house.

Oral-B Pro Vitality Plus Cross Action Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral-B Pro Vitality Plus Cross Action Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush

3.0 out of 5 stars Light and functional, a good mid-range electric toothbrush, 25 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've had a few electric toothbrushes from the cheaper range to the high end. I'd put this in the middle and I'd say it's good enough for anyone's needs. The timer function is useful if you want to make sure you're brushing for a good amount of time, I have a much more expensive model which doesn't have that. Slightly disappointing that the charger is European two-pin, as is the case with many of these lines; why manufacturers are allowed to sell in the UK without the correct charger format I don't know. The brush is also lighter than I expected, though not flimsy, which I definitely like as it's therefore suitable for almost anyone to use. There are other cons, though, such as the lack of a charge indicator light... how do you know when it's fully charged? This does not help you prolong the battery life of the unit.

Bi-Office Notice Board Maya, Blue Felt, Aluminium Frame, 120 x 90 cm
Bi-Office Notice Board Maya, Blue Felt, Aluminium Frame, 120 x 90 cm
Offered by Board Angels

4.0 out of 5 stars Presentable, clean and very functional., 12 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This replaced my old cork board which had become holey with age, something a felt board is unlikely to do. It's light, was easy to put up (all fittings supplied) and came in handy immediately as I teach from home. One thing to note, though, the board surface itself doesn't feel too strong when pushing pins into it. I'm sure it will last for a long time even if you use it regularly, but I did feel it could be tougher. Perhaps that compromises the lightness? I deducted a star for this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20