Profile for B. T. Davies > Reviews

Complete Singles: As & Bs: 1959-1980: 21 Years At The Top
Complete Singles: As & Bs: 1959-1980: 21 Years At The Top
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars SHADOWS: Best compilation ever!, 30 July 2016
This 4 CD set came out in 2004 and not before time too. I had been waiting years for someone at EMI to come up with the idea. It has some A & B sides from before "Apache" that were not hits and some other singles that were not hits in the '70s & '80s. All their UK chart hits are here and some great B-Sides that you may never have heard. Apart from the songs before "Apache" everything is in stereo except "Foot Tapper" which is the theme tune to Brian Matthew's '60s show on Radio2 on Saturday mornings. I don't know why this number one hit is in mono as I have a stereo version on another none Shadows CD. If you are a Shadows fan this is a must for you. I hope you can get it new for a good price because I know that you will love it. It sounds terrific too.

Singles plus
Singles plus
Offered by the_record_factory

5.0 out of 5 stars I Like It, You Might Like It Too., 20 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Singles plus (Audio CD)
This CD contains the original A & B-Sides of all 11 singles released by Gerry & The Pacemakers between 1963 and 1966. 11 tracks are in Stereo and 11 are in Mono, they are sequenced in chronological order. The first A-Side on the CD in Stereo is "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying". The last two A-Sides in Stereo are "La La La" and "Girl On A Swing" from 1966 and are the only two that never entered the UK singles chart.

There are a bewildering number of Gerry & The Pacemakers CDs available and there may be some new ones with remastered tracks. I went for the cheapest with the most but I didn't realize until I received the CD that it was released 26 years ago in 1987. That said, because of the very low price I paid for it I am not disappointed and give it 5 stars.

If you are looking for a Gerry & The Pacemakers CD good luck trawling through them all but do watch out for the re-recorded or 'Live' ones. Gerry's voice did not age well and the backing groups will not be the original Pacemakers.

Diamonds & Other Gems
Diamonds & Other Gems

5.0 out of 5 stars A Diamond Indeed!, 19 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Diamonds & Other Gems (Audio CD)
This collection has been available before but this is the remastered version and is a big improvement on the previous issue. Jet Harris & Tony Meehan both ex-members of the Shadows (the best UK instrumental group ever), only had three UK chart hits together, (all in 1963). The A & B-Sides of those three hits are here plus the A & B-Side of the one Tony Meehan Combo chart hit. The rest of the tracks are by Jet Harris and include his two UK chart hits. The tracks are all in Mono and as I have never heard of any Stereo versions having been recorded this is the best we are ever going to get. I am definitely glad that I purchased this remastered CD.

The Definitive Collection
The Definitive Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive Collection - Martha Reeves & the Vandellas, 19 Mar. 2013
I agree with everything that previous reviewer "MJK" had to say about this CD. My only beef, is that the record companies will keep calling their products "Definitive" when they are clearly no such thing. If you want a definitive collection you would need a 2 or 3 disc set with the A & B sides of all of the singles and major album tracks of any particular artist. There are only 18 tracks (16 A-Sides & 2 B-Sides) on this CD but they all sound like the originals (I was around at the time and I would know if they were re-recordings by the group or any surviving member there of). They are all in Stereo and all of the major hits are here. If you are looking for the Martha & The Vandellas chart hits then this has the best of them and is the CD for you.

John Mills - Centenary Collection Vol.2 [DVD]
John Mills - Centenary Collection Vol.2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Mills

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Done Better, 23 May 2012
I am a John Mills fan and he has made some great movies over a long career. I received the John Mills Centenary Collection II as a birthday gift. Two of my favourite movies of his "The Long Memory" & "The Vicious Circle" are included so it was worth getting for a reasonable price. I had never heard of "Car Of Dreams" and in his first starring role "Forever England". The latter could have been left in the vaults unless you are a die hard fan. As soon as I saw the letters ITV on the box I was worried that they may be the copies of the movies that have been shown on TV over the decades and not remastered versions. I have only viewed "The Vicious Circle" as of this review and it does not look like a remastered version to me so I don't hold out any hope that the others are. I cannot understand why a company would go to all the trouble of transferring the movies to DVD and presenting them in a quality box but not remaster them. I may be wrong about the remastering but on viewing one DVD I can only give the collection 3 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2012 3:36 AM BST