Profile for Tim J > Reviews

Tim J

Haig Club Single Grain Scotch Whisky, 70cl
Haig Club Single Grain Scotch Whisky, 70cl

1.0 out of 5 stars All that glitters is not gold, 13 Dec. 2015
This is nothing more than a clever marketing exercise, please don't be fooled into thinking this is a quality Single Malt, its not! First, it's a grain whisky, not a malt which, which in some cases can also be great, but sadly not here! At best this is a whisky fit only to be used as a mixer. For £30-40 a bottle there are some stunning whiskey out there, this isn't one of them. This belongs on the same shelf as Bells, Teachers, Famous Grouse etc however it struggles to match them for taste and smoothness. Haig had a reputation as mixer whisky many years ago and sadly some flashy marketing has done nothing to change that. Spend your hard earned elsewhere and avoid this overpriced disappointment in a bottle
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2016 9:48 PM GMT

The Fast Diet: The secret of intermittent fasting - lose weight, stay healthy, live longer

5.0 out of 5 stars Dramatic weight loss, 5 April 2014
Finally I have found something that works!! After decades of try to manage my weight the 1hour documentary from Dr Mosley was a revelation! BTW, this isn't a book review even though I bought it I haven't read it but I did want to share my thanks to Dr Mosley. In 8 weeks I have lost 20lbs. I have done this by reversing the ratio so I am doing 600 calories 5 days a week and then having what I like at the weekends. I eat approx 1kg of food a day, mainly lentils, beans and vegetables which allows me to keep my meals to 500grms and 200 calories per meal. Fresh onions and plenty of hot sauce mixed in gives plenty of flavour. The only down side is it's a bit boring as I make a big batch at the start of the week so I eat the same thing all week, but that's my call as I'm a lazy cook!! I dare say thats where this book will help if you want variety. Having said that hopping on the bathroom scales and seeing between 1&2lbs weight loss each morning is a great motivator!! Beware though, the weekend blow out throws a huge amount of the previous loss back on but this is gone again within a couple of days of 600 calories a day, also I drink a minimum of 3 litres of water a day, only water, tap water. That's it. 11lbs to go to my target weight and then I will reverse the ratio slowly to the point of maintaining my weight. Honestly, it's been really easy, not much will power required, easy to do and the scales results every morning are dramatic. No pills, no powders, no miracle cures, just a simple eating programme!! This one technique could destroy the weight loss/diet industry! They must hate Dr Mosley, I love him!! Thank you so much!!!!!

Nikon D3200 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit - Black (24.2MP) 3 inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little camera if a little pricey, 11 Sept. 2012
My reason for buying this camera is perhaps a little different to most of the people that will be buying it. I am a professional photographer and live in rather dangerous parts of the world from time to time (currently in Libya) so I need a camera that delivers both quality but isn't too visible and is disposable enough for me to hand over if asked at gun point. It happens!

I looked long and hard at two other alternatives, one being the Canon Powershot G1x and the other being the Sony NEX-7. Out of the three the Sony is without question the one to have if you are looking for amazing image quality in a small package and the Canon, whilst being a lovely piece of kit just required too many performance compromises from my side, so the Nikon was the obvious choice for me. So why didn't I go for the Sony? Well it is just too expensive. The body is around £1,000 plus lenses and that is beyond my budget for a back-up. The Nikon suits me as I am well invested in Nikon pro equipment and I have plenty of old lenses I can put on the front.

So what about the camera? Well as I have already alluded to I use it as a back up to my pro Nikon kit but it would be unfair to compare it to equipment costing 5/6 times as much although the comparisons are there to be made. I have shot several projects with this camera and I really like it. There are of course elements from my pro kit that I miss but overall the camera performs really well, especially in low light and the most important thing for me is that the image quality is pretty good whatever the situation. I have had photographs from this camera used by a lot of press agencies and never have I had a negative comment in respect to image quality. I do get the occasional strange look from my fellow journo photographers when they compare their large cameras to my little Nikon but this often works in my favour as I make easier progress through check points and security inspections as this camera doesn't stand out as `journalist' equipment. With an old DX 18-200mm VR lens on the front this camera is good to go and I am happy with the results although the images are a little soft when compared to my D800 or D3x, but this it isn't anything that the computer can't deal with in post-processing. If you are familiar with Nikon kit then you won't have to look twice before you are using it like you have had it all your life.

The video function suffers from the same issues that the D800 & D4 do, namely that it relies on contrast detection which means the camera will focus hunt, especially when panning so a more planned approach requiring manual focus is normally required. The output quality is fine though for this level of camera. If you are after a camera with lots of extra functions and special effects then there are probably better options out there for you, however if you are after a robust, simple to use, quality camera then look no further. It's a cracking little photographic tool. In many ways it reminds me of my first Nikon which was a Nikon FM2. I have had that one for over 30 years now, so I can really can't say any more than that!

Nikon D800 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Nikon D800 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you need one or just want one?, 2 Jun. 2012
So I have had my D800 for exactly 14 days now. In a word WOW!!! To be fair it's not exactly what I expected but is exactly what I asked for. I didn't buy the Nikon D3x because (as well as it being too expensive!!) disappointingly it didn't have the features I was looking for, so I waited and waited and waited. And now here it is. As a Semi-Pro I have an extensive selection of exotic glass and other bodies (D3s, D700, D200 & F4 etc.) to use as required but this needs to fill my studio work, landscape and expanded video needs.

Some people have been complaining about the sensor being too sensitive and showing up movement blur without a VR lens. Well of course it does! It has virtually a medium format sensor built in. When was the last time you saw a medium format camera being used without a tripod?? Certainly an expanded range of FX VR lenses from Nikon would be great, or you could just practice and get better at holding a camera. This is without question a professional camera and anything less than professional technique whilst using it will be shown up in all its 36MP glory. If you want professional results then you need to practice like a pro, put the time in behind the camera and learn how to drive this amazing bit of kit to deliver the results its truly capable of.
My findings so far are that both the 14-24mm 2.8 & 24-70mm lens look a bit soft in hand held. On a tripod they are stunning. My 70-200mm 2.8 VRII produces jaw dropping results every time, the difference? VR! The issue is I have become lazy and need to practise my technique! I am and it is getting better results every time I release the shutter.

The big surprise to me is the video. I have had lots of nice quality HD handicams before which have all produced pleasing results; however this is something entirely different! Forget autofocus, hand portable point and shoot, this isn't that! This needs to be treated like a full studio film camera with ideally two people to operate it. I kid you not! The auto-focus, such as it is, works on contrast, is slow, hunts and is not really very accurate. However that is not the point of this video function. The quality results (when you get there) can only be generated by rehearsing each take, practicing the focus pull and understanding the shot you want. Then it delivers! I mean really delivers. I have never seen clarity and detail like this on my video monitors before. WOW, WOW, WOW!! It needs a tripod or a body rig to be effectively operated, it's not something that can be done by hand hold, and it will kill you before it allows you to get a decent shot. Again as with the stills camera element, you have to treat it like a piece of professional equipment. I have purchased a pro video head for my Manfrotto tripods, an external mic, AKG head phones, a bespoke focus pull rig and may or may not require an additional LCD monitor, just have to wait and see how well I get on with the live view. Only now do I have the kit to make the camera work for me. Now it is just up to me to spend the time getting to know the camera.

Is it Nikon's fault that some people are buying the D800 and being disappointed with the results? No, it's like buying a Formula 1 car and expecting to use it for the school run and the shopping mall, of course you are going to be disappointed. Perhaps you should have looked at what you `needed' before you looked at what you `wanted'. If you need a D800 then you will understand the time investment required to generate the results this camera is capable of, if you just want one then I suggest that you buy a D3200 at the same time as you will be happier with the results and will probably end up using it much more. Don't worry the D800 will hold its value in the same way the D700 has, not like the D3x which was madly expensive and is now shamed by the spec of the D800, a camera that costs less than half. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2013 12:33 PM GMT