Profile for Josh > Reviews

Content by Josh

Josh

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Bluetooth Headphones,TaoTronics Bluetooth Wireless Magnetic Sports Running Headphones, IPX5 Splash Proof Magnetic Earphones with Snug Fit and Built in Mic
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Massive improvement, 22 Jan. 2017
Compared to the slightly cheaper BH07 earphones these BH16 earphones are nothing short of a revelation. Every single thing has been improved and nothing is left wanting. At this price and for just a couple of pounds more I would not look any further.

They fit well; the inserts, the fins, the weighting, everything just fits comfortably and securely for running, resulting in complete confidence. The sound is vastly improved, may be due to the better fit, to the extent that I've had to turn the volume down 25%. The bluetooth connection is rock solid; whereas the sound used to drop out on the older pair, especially when worn under a hat, there is not so much as a blip now. The initial pairing was faultless; just switch them on and they're discovered and paired with absolutely no hold-this-button and watch-that-light nonsense. The controls are more tactile and easier to locate, even with gloves on. A nice new feature is the audio feedback when using the controls; there is no longer any need to guess when they're on or off or paired as you're told so right in your ear! The wire between the ears is of a better quality and hangs well without flapping and tugging like the old wire used to. Even the charging port cover is completely redesigned and feels much better. The only thing I can find that has not been upgraded is the charging cable, and there was nothing wrong with the old one!

Finally a big thank you to their customer service team. After reading my negative review of the BH07 earphones they contacted me and offered to replace them with this newer BH16 model. All I had to do was provide my delivery address. That kind of service is pretty special and something to be praised. At this price it's simply outstanding.

Betron Apple Certified Lightning Connector, Durable Charger Cable for iPhone, iPad, iPod, iPad Mini, 1Meters - Black
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose, 18 Jan. 2017
Stopped working after 13 months. I suspect it also broke the original Apple charger it was connected to for that time. I further suspect that the cable I received was not original as it was not branded in any way (unlike the picture).

Draper 69207 300 mm Squeegee Window Wiper Blade
Draper 69207 300 mm Squeegee Window Wiper Blade

2.0 out of 5 stars Handle snapped when left outside in the cold and used ..., 18 Jan. 2017
Handle snapped when left outside in the cold and used to clear light frost off the car windows. I would say that's probably not what it's meant for but that's what I used it for.

Bluetooth Earphones, TaoTronics Bluetooth 4.1 Headphones Stereo Magnetic Earbuds, Secure Fit for Sport, Gym with Built-in Mic
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for sport, 18 Jan. 2017
I wasn't expecting much at this price but I did expect them to stay in my ears. They didn't. I suspect this finned style just doesn't work with my ears; I've had trouble in the past with wired finned earphones. The fins are supposed to "lock in" at the top and the bottom of the ear, but I guess the bottom of my ear (the antitragus?) is just not big enough. The only way I can get them to stay in is to loop the wire over the top of my head, which looks stupid.

Although they don't work for me I didn't want to rubbish them completely at this price. Unfortunately there are more flaws. The weight of the controls pulls all the wire around to one side of the head, where it flaps about, while the other side is pulled uncomfortably tight. Bluetooth pairing is a complete faff. Before I received the earphones I got an email telling me how to reset them in a long-winded process that did not bode well. I've had to reset them twice now and will never again pair them with a second device or I know I will end up binning them. The sound is flat and distant. I put this down to them not fitting properly in my ears as the sound improves when held in place. Putting on a hat holds them in place - painfully so - but then the music cuts out for a fraction of a second every few seconds, like the hat interferes with the bluetooth signal. Using the controls requires a mirror as you have to watch the light change colour behind your head. The charging port cover is fiddly and will break soon enough.

Apart from the low price I don't have anything good to say about these earphones; I don't understand the overwhelmingly positive reviews so I assume my ears are just wrong. I guess if I wasn't running with them then they might stay in a bit better and I could add one more star but not with "secure fit for sport" in the title. Hopefully your mileage will vary.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2017 8:26 AM GMT

Pipetto iPad Air 2 Case - Origami Smart Cover - Dark Pink Saffiano (Compatible with iPad Air 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars 11/10, 20 April 2015
We've had this case for a few months now and we're still completely happy with it. We spent a long time trying to source more expensive covers that were available for the Air 1 but they all seemed to be taking a long time to appear for the Air 2. There didn't seem to be a lot of choice at the time. The thing that put off buying this case for a while was the low price. How could it possibly be uncompromising at this price? But it fits perfectly, it's completely unobtrusive, it's lightweight, nice and grippy, pretty cool to the touch, it wears extremely well and it has that quality feel like somebody spent an awfully long time obsessing over the material and the way it flops open and snaps shut with complete confidence. I guess if we had to mark it down in one area then the range of positions could be a 9/10 rather than the 10/10 we'd give it in all other areas. Overall it has the feel of a much more expensive, real leather case and is very much part of our iPad now.

Mighty Torque Wrench - Black
Mighty Torque Wrench - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Confident little wrench, 16 Mar. 2015
Although this is the only torque wrench I've ever used I think it's really very good for the price. It definitely has that precision feel but of course I cannot judge its accuracy as I don't have any way to calibrate it. I use it on a carbon road bike for the seat post and stem mostly. It's so easy to adjust bolts with confidence now. I even used it on the bottle cages because why not?! Obviously it will not cope with pedals but I'm not lucky enough have carbon cranks or a power meter so it's not critical for me.

It did take a bit of practise to get it right though. As others have said it doesn't feel like a ratchet turning backwards. What happens is that the head pivots ever so slightly when you hit the required setting. Call it a pivot or a click or a snap - it is not so obvious at first and not at all clear in the instructions - yet it is very obvious when you know what you're looking for. The easiest way to see this in effect is to set it to the lowest setting of 2Nm, take hold of the arm in one hand and the head in the other. You will easily be able to apply enough force to feel the pivot/click/snap and SEE IT TOO. Don't do what I did and set it on 2Nm and find a bed bolt to test it on. You will not see or feel the pivot as it will take effect immediately and allow you over-tighten while wondering if it's working. Once you've tested it at 2Nm in your hands you can move on to bed bolts at a higher setting and it will be so obvious what's happening. I have no issues now and complete confidence even on silly things like an out-front Garmin mount and a saddle-bag QR. Even though these are little bits of plastic that warrant no more than an Allen key I think it says something that I would reach for the wrench first as it's just so easy and assured.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2015 12:54 AM BST

Ass Savers Original Foldable Mudguard - Black, 34 cm
Ass Savers Original Foldable Mudguard - Black, 34 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty effective, 11 Feb. 2015
This really clips in well on my two bikes. No fear of it coming loose. I use it mainly on two-mile commutes on main roads from my house to the train station, so it's not the most demanding task for a mudguard. I didn't want to bother with full mudguards for such a short journey and that could end up bent out of place in the station bike racks. While this clever piece of plastic won't save you in a downpour or gain you any friends in a peloton it did the trick for me and collected plenty of muck that would otherwise have ended up on me. I'm sure some road-spray makes it past the Ass Saver but I haven't been able to see or feel any after more than a year of use.

I found a couple of minor niggles in that if I fold it back under my saddle for stowage it won't stay there, but it's so easy to remove it doesn't really matter. It's also at the same height as the saddle - obviously - so you have to swing your leg right over it, and remember to do the same when dismounting or you will get covered in muck from the underside. But having said that my most serious gripe is with the name. While I don't have any particular animosity towards donkeys I don't see what they have to do with keeping my backside clean.

Morgan Blue Bike Mud-Off + Pump Applicator 1000cc
Morgan Blue Bike Mud-Off + Pump Applicator 1000cc
Offered by Laxzo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, 11 Feb. 2015
Having tried similar products from likes of Muc Off and Juicy Lubes I wasn't looking for anything better. I just get through a lot of this stuff and I was running out of whatever I had. My LBS happened to stock this in the posher end of the shop and, while my Domane 4.5 was from the cheaper end, I picked up a bottle, complete with spray nozzle. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised - maybe more surprised than one should be with a cleaning product. The spray action gave good coverage while being quite directional too, quickly soaking the bike and not the ground. It had a nice, foamy composition once in contact with bike and expanded to fill areas like under the saddle. Within seconds I could see the foam turn brown as it lifted dirt from the underside of the down tube and back of the seat tube (in February). I tend to degrease the chain and mech first, and then rinse down the whole bike with a hose before applying this cleaner everywhere, including the drive train, if only to make sure the degreaser is completely dispersed (obviously this stuff will not shift drive train gunk). I will be trying other Morgan Blue products next and I found their website worth a visit.

Injinji Performance Midweight Mini Crew Socks
Injinji Performance Midweight Mini Crew Socks

5.0 out of 5 stars No more blisters!, 1 July 2013
Although I wear normal toeless trainers I purchased these socks to alleviate a persistent blister between my toes. Not only did the blister disappear I found them to be much more performant than any other sock I've ever tried. The fit is good with some support - but no pinching - and absolutely no rubbing anywhere. They're noticeably cooler on long runs, although I'm not sure why this is. The material and seamless construction is of a very high quality, and the mesh sections must help with the cooling, but these can be found on other socks. I put the coolness down to the reduced tugging you get as the toes are properly fitted. Instead of each foot strike and toe roll tugging at the rest of the sock and producing heat through friction it feels like your trainers are glued in place. Anyway I'm ordering more now so that I never have to run toeless again. Perhaps I'll start wearing them to work too?!

The Better Angels of Our Nature: A History of Violence and Humanity
The Better Angels of Our Nature: A History of Violence and Humanity
by Steven Pinker

5.0 out of 5 stars A Triumph, 1 July 2013
Better Angels is thoroughly exceptional and quite probably the most thought provoking and eloquent book ever to emerge from the realm of science. A masterpiece. Finally we have evidence that God exists, and his name is Steven Pinker.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5