Profile for Joescamera > Reviews

Devils of War [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jerry L. Buxbaum
Offered by UclickWeDeliver

1.0 out of 5 stars Devils of War - worst film ever, 25 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Devils of War [DVD] (DVD)
I have never felt the need to write a review; my opinion is just that: my opinion - and most film reviewers I usually think the complete opposite to, but this..."film" (?) is bad. Really, really, bad - and if I can save just one person making the mistake of buying, then its worth the time writing this review.

Picked it up for just £2 - even then I wish I could get my money back. 5p would have been too much. I think if the production company had any budget at all it went on the deceiptful cover jacket for the DVD, which actually looks pretty promising. I wish you could sue films that provide such misleading covers. I was worried that the film would be too short at only 72 minutes run-time; after the first 5 minutes I was wishing it would hurry up and finish. Even with such a short running, the "fight" scenes (truly rubbish) went on for far too long. Worse was seeing a mad machine gunner get blown up, only to see him playing a sentry later on. Oh dear.

There is nothing at all to commend this film. Spend 60 minutes or so watching the paint on your walls; you will find it a much more rewarding experience.

Lenovo Q180 Ultra Small Form Factor (USFF) Desktop PC - Black (Intel Atom D2550 1.86GHz, 4Gb RAM, 750Gb HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, AMD Graphics, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)

4.0 out of 5 stars Small and inexpensive - ideal for today's general PC needs, 7 April 2013
Ever since Microsoft launched Windows 8, I knew it wasn't for me - and the future of computing has changed (almost overnight, it seems). And far from offering more choice, with Windows 8 came "either use it or don't". No cheaper, Windows 7 machines to be found on shop floors and increasingly hard to find a good spec machine running the better operating system (imho).

I'd put off this purchase for awhile, as I'd become accustomed to always wanting the latest and greatest specs in terms of hardware; with Intel i5 or i7 processors, with 8-16Gb of RAM as standard - obviously NOT what this machine offered. But the introduction of new computing technologies in terms of tablets and smartphones have shown that they can do as much (and in some cases more) than 'traditional' PCs - with much, much lower specs. And so I re-evaluated my own computing needs, coupled with the drop in price for this unit and took a gamble.

It paid off. :0)

Don't fall into my trap that having too much power is what's required. It isn't. I can comfortably open all the same programs/packages I used previously, including quite heavy Photoshop work. I love the size of this device; it is much smaller than I imagined (even after reading other reviews about dimensions) - to see it in action is impressive. I have it hooked it to my 32" TV, which I use as a monitor and graphics are fine. The system boots much faster than my outgoing Windows Vista machine and has handled everything I did on that with ease. It is very quiet, but not silent. There are plenty of ports, and I would recommend this to anyone, but I believe its no longer available as there is a new model - the Q190, which unfortunately runs Win 8. Yes - I know in theory you can downgrade, but then you'd need to factor the additional licence costs.

The only reason I dropped a star is it struggles to play / stream movies from lovefilm; whether that's my screen's 1920x1080p resolution or the low graphic capability of the device, I'm not sure - but that's not the main reason I bought the Q180, and if I have the need/requirement, I am in the position of switching on my noisy, Vista Dell PC for awhile.

This is most likely to be my last MS Windows PC, as the company is set on pushing its touchscreen OS on devices which are not touch. Shame; for more than 20 years they had me, but now I am looking at all available alternatives. Hopefully not for the next few years though as this PC should last the 2-3 year cycle.

Acer C7 11.6-inch Chromebook (2GB RAM, 320GB HDD)
Acer C7 11.6-inch Chromebook (2GB RAM, 320GB HDD)

5.0 out of 5 stars First Chromebook - great companion device, 20 Dec. 2012
Purchased the Acer C7 Chromebook today (not from Amazon, as I wanted to physically see the difference between this and the Samsung 3). Whilst the Samsung looked more impressive and has a faster internal hard drive (SSD as opposed mechanical) for me, the glossy screen of the Acer looked that much sharper, and the keyboard was more "PC-like" than the Samsung (compare both side by side if you can to see what I mean).

I have researched Chromebooks online for awhile, so understand their benefits and shortcomings, but am very surprised just how quick I was up and running with this device. Literally within 10 minutes of plugging in the battery (which lasted a good 4+ hours straight out of the box) the machine was booting, logged in and downloading apps. Almost 5 minutes of that was the first boot/install. If you already have Google's Chrome browser installed on your Windows PC, any apps, extensions and tab settings are already in place the moment you log in. To put in perspective, when I set up a new Windows laptop or desktop (at work), it can take a good few hours in getting programs installed before giving it to a user.

However, I would recommend a Chromebook as a Windows companion device, rather than a direct replacement. For that, you get an almost instant on machine, to surf, social media and email (the majority of tasks for many these days). And, having a desktop PC, you can access every single program and package it has installed by simply running the Chrome Remote Desktop app (as long as your desktop PC is switched on and configured - again, a five minute task). So, while you cannot natively run Photoshop or Word from the Chromebook, if you have those programs installed on your PC, you can run them remotely, wherever you are (with a wifi connection).

For my use, this is a fantastic device which will mean much faster access to emailing and general browsing, without losing access to my existing Windows programs.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2013 8:41 PM GMT