Profile for Wayne(ster) > Reviews

Content by Wayne(ster)

Wayne(ster)

I flew for the Fuhrer: Story of a German Airman (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS)
I flew for the Fuhrer: Story of a German Airman (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS)
by Heinz Knoke

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 28 April 2013
A very enjoyable book, always interesting to learn about the view from 'the other side'
Although a proud German, the author was no Nazi.. its sad to read how a country was so deceived & slowly destroyed..

A Higher Call: An Incredible True Story of Combat and Chivalry in the War-Torn Skies of World War II
by Adam Makos

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Jan. 2013
A very good book. Just proof that not all Germans were NAZIS. Franz Stiglers story provides an insight to the madness that was 'Germany' in the 1930's & 40's.
There meeting after so many years is quite emotive.. well worth reading & adding to your bookshelf.

Oxford Diecast Sptifire IXe
Oxford Diecast Sptifire IXe
Offered by Models4hobby

5.0 out of 5 stars Spitfire MkIX, 23 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Oxford Diecast Sptifire IXe (Toy)
For the price this model is excellent. It comes with it's own stand for display with the Spitfire & squadron on.
The model is nicely painted & detailed, and is more of a collector piece than a toy.
This model also depicts arguably, along with the MkXVI, the best Spitfire produced. It retained the looks of the early baby Spitfires, RJ Mitchells masterpiece, but with the introduction of the Merlin 62 - 66.. performance to match! The XVI was the Packard version of the IX. This was the Spitfire that turned the tables on the Luftwaffe & the formidable Butcher Bird, aka the FW 190.
So.. this model is great for displaying, on your desk, or with the other aircraft also available to collect.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7inch Tablet - White (8GB, WiFi, Android 4.0)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7inch Tablet - White (8GB, WiFi, Android 4.0)
Offered by InkandTonerDeals

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended? Oh yes!, 16 Nov. 2012
I made the mistake of buying a cheap non descript tablet recently, thinking it would be fine. Mistake. It was total rubbish, YouTube wouldn't work, email would not connect, and the download speed was slower than a slow thing...on a slow day! I was not happy!
So, as my mum used to tell me, buy cheap..buy twice. So true. So I thought I would do it properly this time, and buy a decent tablet. I took my time, read hours of reviews & watched YouTube videos. It came down to either the Nexus 7 or this, the Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0. It wasn't a difficult choice in the end, the Samsung just stood out as the obvious & perfect choice. To me, Samsung represent quality & as the Galaxy 2 came with 2 inbuilt cameras & external micro SD slot... it was a no brainer!
I ordered it through Amazon, & it arrived 3 days later. Most of the reviews seemed to be the black/silver colour combination, but I ordered the white one. In my opinion it looks best in white..lovely.
So...do I recommend the Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0? Definitely. It's smooth to operate, has stacks of functionality, & it had the ability to increase it's memory. Job done. Now I cannot put it down.
Oh yes...I was a little concerned that the 7" screen would be to small, on the contrary, I think it's just about the perfect comprise. Big enough to watch movies, play games etc.. but small enough that handling it is easy. Who says size is important!
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2013 3:54 PM GMT

Hurricane R4118: The Extraordinary Story of the Discovery and Restoration of a Great Battle of Britain Survivor
by Peter Vacher

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 12 Nov. 2012
Being a Spitfire, Hurricane, WW2 aviation history...nut, this book was just my thing.
What an amazing, but really frustrating process Peter had to go through to 'finally' secure the Hurricane from where it was slowly bio-degrading in an Indian University!
The line in the book about needing to arrange a committee to record the minutes of the previous' committees minutes was hilarious...but omg, how Peter Vacher kept his sanity, I'll never know!
So pleased for him that he finally got her home, & now beautifully restored to as original BoB condition. Perfect.
A very good book, but I read it way to quickly.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool..., 11 Nov. 2012
I had one of these years ago, saw this & thought 'why not'
But like others have said, the sound activation doesnt work.. To be honest though, i am quite happy with simply turning on & off.
The static plasma discharge is cool though, my 12 year old son loves it!

Bburago 1:18 Collezione Lamborghini Countach 5000 Quattro Valvole - Colours may vary
Offered by Fun Fuzion

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Model Countach, 4 Mar. 2012
I have a growing collection of 1:18 model cars.
These are not really toys in my opinion, being a very good standard collectible model for display.

I wanted a Countach to go with the Diablo SE30 & Murcielago I already have.

The detail is very good, opening scissor doors, detailed interior & engine bay.

I read that colours are received purely by chance. I really rather hoped for the white as pictured in the advert, which fortunately it is!

The only 'criticism' I have is not being keen on the the shiny/Chrome wheel appearance. I would rather they were just standard alloy silver look.

It's a minor issue though as overall I am very pleased with the model.

Revell Easykit F-14D Tomcat
Revell Easykit F-14D Tomcat
Offered by eModels uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple Top Gun, 4 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Revell Easykit F-14D Tomcat (Toy)
As title really, a very easy 'pre-paint & stickered' model to make.

Assembly instructions are very simple to follow, though younger children would need help trimming some plastic pieces with a Sharp knife or modelling scalpel blade.

Completed model looks good but the only shame is that the wings cannot be set in the classic F14 swept wing pose. The wing(s) is fixed in the swept forward position.

Star Wars MILLENNIUM FALCON Limited Edition Film Cell m
Star Wars MILLENNIUM FALCON Limited Edition Film Cell m
Offered by THE FILMCELL FACTORY

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Collectable, 4 Mar. 2012
An interesting & quite good value Star Wars 'collectable'

The film frame itself is fairly small but I understood the dimension pre purchase so I am pleased with the product.

The film cell is nicely framed & backed on thick card with a nice shiny plaque describing the the Cell itself, & further numbering information on the back.

I was pleased with my 'Falcon' film cell, after all as 'hunks of junk' go...she is by far, the fastest!