Profile for A_Bookaholic > Reviews

Content by A_Bookaholic

A_Bookaholic "prussblue" (Midwest (old NY'er), USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Fields of Glory (Hundred Years War 1)
Fields of Glory (Hundred Years War 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not For The Faint Of Heart, 26 Jun. 2014
A tale of the movement of forces by the English King from England across the English Channel to Normandy and beyond to Paris and back seeking the Crown of France. Again, this is medieval war, war period at its harshest culminating in the 1346 Battle of Crécy. The historical research done by the author is excellent and a plausible story line written into this campaign about some of those, young and old, who served their king in this affair. It does include the horrors of war so I remind you that it is not for the faint of heart. That said, I look forward to subsequent volumes.

Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 7)
Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars If I Lost My Hard Copies, 11 Jan. 2014
I have the entire series and more by Micheal Jecks (a few Kindle items, but this series in hardcover and paperback). Were they somehow lost to me, I would gladly get the Kindle versions to replace them. Yet, I still love my EMP impervious 'paper.'

Murder, Suicide or Accident
Murder, Suicide or Accident
by Bernard Picton

5.0 out of 5 stars I Wrote This On Amazon US, 12 Oct. 2013
"This review is from: Murder, Suicide or Accident The Forensic Pathologist at Work (Hardcover)
First, the pseudonym of Bernard Picton was used at a time when it was "not good form" for a professional man to use his real name when publishing. That said, it was written by a world class forensic pathologist, Dr. Bernard Knight, CBE (also known for fiction under both Picton and Knight) for the layman. It concentrates on the U.K. mostly but touches upon other areas of the world too. Some of the historical content is interesting not to mention the 'then' current state of affairs in forensics. Some things never change (too much) so I wouldn't cast it off as 'outdated.' A lot of people will be surprised to learn that the realities of the science compared to the fiction was often far apart just as it is today (warning - don't believe everything you hear and see in the movies and on TV / Telly today; juries too often believe what they see in the media and expect to see the fiction in evidence). True, there is some new knowledge that was not available at the time of the writing of this title but perhaps not as much as one might imagine. If you don't accept that, the book still has a lot of value today. I have never been disappointed by Picton / Knight and have not been after reading this title either."

I should note that I found a copy in the U.S. at a very reasonable price and in very good condition.

Templar's Acre (Knights Templar Myst/Prequel) by Jecks, Michael (2013)
Templar's Acre (Knights Templar Myst/Prequel) by Jecks, Michael (2013)

5.0 out of 5 stars I Thought That I Had Reviewed Before -- "My Bad", 14 Sept. 2013
This prequel was a grand addition to what has been a fantastic series! This title can be read as an independent novel but if you are familiar with the series, it is "icing on the cake." Jecks' superb historical research (primary source citations) and ability to weave great stories into the historical framework is difficult to surpass. Friends of mine all around the world have been thankful to have been introduced to Jecks' body of work.

I am borrowing from my previous review elsewhere to add to this belated review above: "Having read and delighted in the entire series, I could not go without the prequel to the series (in hard cover -- I plan to keep the series and pass it on eventually). One sees a youthful Baldwin and the making of the man we have learned to respect in the series as he survived into adulthood. There may be bits that I might prefer to have seen differently, but I was not the story teller and those bits did not detract from the overall story line. Once again, Jecks weaves a plausible story into the historical matrix and gives one hours of satisfying reading despite the 'blood and gore,' etc. After all, Baldwin was not a merchant but a crusader and soldier who defended others. Again, no synopsis will be given as that is not a review. I just tell you that I found it worth the expense and definitely worth the reading time (I did try to go slow and put it down now and again, but it was hard to do). I fear that I will be back to the beginning of the series after reading this great prequel (fresh eyes on them)."

15 SEP 2013: I had to return to this review because the author has been interviewed today (part one) and I really believe that old and new readers alike will find the subject matter interesting to say the least: [...]

Templar's Acre (Knights Templar)
Templar's Acre (Knights Templar)

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous Read!, 17 Aug. 2013

The Last Templar (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 1)
The Last Templar (Knights Templar Mysteries Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Read This Long Ago And Saved It To Re-Read, 5 Aug. 2013
I have read the entire series to include "The Last Templar" and am glad to see them coming out in reprint and even in e-book format. The recently released prequel for the series, "Templar's Acre," is a great addition! Those who have not read any of the series might enjoy the prequel first but it is not necessary as it is a great stand alone historical fiction novel. I am looking forward to re-reading old titles not to mention some of Jecks' other works. I have found that Jecks' titles are 'savers' and not for give away or sale. That is just my opinion but friends have agreed with me over time. My recommendation is to 'test the waters' with a Jecks title.

Enigma: The Battle For The Code
Enigma: The Battle For The Code
by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Historical Details, 27 May 2013
The Folio Edition is the 2001 update of the 2000 ed. of Enigma: Battle for the Code with "minor emendations" -- I placed this review elsewhere and share it here, "I enjoyed The Folio Society ed. (2005) of this book for its historical content. I, however, would like to be able to contact the author (doesn't seem to be easy to do -- probably my fault) as on page 322, para 3, last line, it is stated that the "parents" of crew members only learned that they were alive when returned to Germany in 1947. I realize that repatriation of POWs was at times a lengthy process for a variety of reasons. I, however, note that there was a U.S. Navy Department public press and radio release dated May 16, 1945 (shortly after V.E. Day) which included this, "Fifty-eight survivors (including the captain) from the U-505's crew of 59 were rescued and imprisoned in the United States." I guess that my question is, "Did the story slip through the cracks and German authorities not get word about the U-505 POWs? BTW, the U-505 became a museum piece in 1954 (Chicago) and there is a fantastic website (kudos to the webmaster) about the U-505 and other U-boat subjects at http://uboatarchive.net/(less)" Despite my question, the book is an excellent read and details that things were more complicated than many are aware of. The heart of the story actually begins in 1931 with more than a little intrigue.

The Prophecy of Death (Knights Templar Mysteries 25): A thrilling medieval adventure (Knights Templar Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars An Opinion, 8 Feb. 2013
I own all of Jecks' works to date (>30 in this series as well as his short stories and venture into modern espionage, "Act of Vengeance"[Kindle]. Jecks not only does extensive historical research using primary sources but writes great stories that he weaves into the historical framework. Suffice it to say that he has given me many hours of enjoyable reading. I don't know how I missed not sharing my opinion (review) here. I most often get the hardcover of his titles as I don't plan on getting rid of them. His new publisher, Simon and Schuster UK, is buying the rights to early works to reprint them. I have read some other 'historical fiction' but there are many who just don't measure up to Jecks so they are not followed. I recommend that you take a look at his website -- [...] .... he can also be found on Facebook. BTW, while this is part of a series, many can be read as independent works. I did not have some of the early works and was compelled to hunt them down so that I have the entire series that is why it is great that reprints of the early works are being made available for others.

Act of Vengeance
Act of Vengeance

5.0 out of 5 stars Have Reviewed This Elsewhere, 8 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Act of Vengeance (Kindle Edition)
I don't know how I missed reviewing this here. It is a switch in genre for Jecks but he does a great job of it as usual. It was a great read and hope to see it in hardcover or paperback too!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2016 12:08 AM GMT

Crowner's Crusade (A Crowner John Mystery)
Crowner's Crusade (A Crowner John Mystery)
by Bernard Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Thankful For This Prequel Title!, 30 Nov. 2012
I have been waiting for this prequel title for a while now. It is a great gift to Crowner John fans by the author, Bernard Knight! It answers many questions concerning characters, etc. However, it can stand alone as a great read if you have not read any of the series before. If you are already a fan, it is the 'icing on the cake.' I can see some older titles being dusted of now for a re-read! Thanks again for all the titles you, Dr. Knight, have produced over the years which includes those outside of the Crowner John Mystery Series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8