Profile for Pete V > Reviews

Pete V

Eagle against the Sun: The American War with Japan
Eagle against the Sun: The American War with Japan
by Ronald H. Spector

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete account of WWII in Pacific in a single volume, 4 April 2017
I was looking for a book which covered the whole Pacific theatre in a single volume as my knowledge of this area was extremely lacking. This book achieved what I was looking for admirably and also proved to be very readable. Now that I've got the 'big picture' I can look at particular areas of interest in more detail.

Elite Super Corsa Bottle - Clear Red, 0.75 Litre
Elite Super Corsa Bottle - Clear Red, 0.75 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars I was looking for a cycling bottle with a dust ..., 24 Oct. 2016
I was looking for a cycling bottle with a dust cap for use in damp weather and when there is a lot of muck on the roads (especially small country roads) and where the dust cap would protect the drinking spout from getting contaminated. This bottle is exactly what I wanted. The slight drawback is that its difficult to drink on the move, but then thats a consequence of it being designed to stay clean.

Radio Times Guide to Films 2016
Radio Times Guide to Films 2016
by Radio Times Film Unit (COR)

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't like using on line tools for film ratings and reviews ..., 4 Sept. 2016
I was looking for a film guide to replace my old Halliwell guide - or rather to have an up to date guide to include recent years. I don't like using on line tools for film ratings and reviews since they lack the multiple dimensions and objectivity I prefer. The Radio Times Guide was exactly what I was looking for. Look up a film and get a succinct and accurate review then scan the page and find lots of other ideas to follow up on. I find that once I've opened it that 30 minutes have gone by and I'm still finding interesting threads to follow through on.

Scholl Orthaheel Sports Orthotic - Large
Scholl Orthaheel Sports Orthotic - Large

5.0 out of 5 stars and trainers to good effect., 4 Sept. 2016
I've now got several pairs of these for different shoes over the years and they work very well. I suffer from runners knee and these orthotics adjust my footfall when walking so that I walk correctly. I should point out that I wear custom orthotics in my running shoes, but use these Scholl ones in everyday shoes, hiking boots, cycling shoes, and trainers to good effect.

66fit Yoga Block - EVA High Density Foam  Stretch Pilates Exercise Brick
66fit Yoga Block - EVA High Density Foam Stretch Pilates Exercise Brick

5.0 out of 5 stars I was looking for a block which was similar to ..., 4 Sept. 2016
I was looking for a block which was similar to those used in the yoga class I attend so that I could do some exercises at home. This block is exactly what I wanted. I has the right level of firmness and the dimensions are just what I wanted.

Seaplanes & Flying Boats
Seaplanes & Flying Boats

5.0 out of 5 stars An Overview of Seaplanes & Flying Boats, 13 Dec. 2013
I was looking for a good overview on seaplanes and this absolutely met my expectations. This is the first book I've acquired on the subject so was looking for general interest. I also want to acquire more specialist books on planes that caught my interest and wanted a good starting point. There are sections on a wide range of models and manufacturers. The descriptions are relatively brief but highly informative. The photos and diagrams are excellent. I recommend this book highly for anyone looking for a general overview and it would also interest anyone looking for a book on the subject with good quality photos.

I decided to buy a used copy because it was a starting point for my interest. The supplier was: Secondsource Books in Canada. The book was exactly as described and it arrived within the delivery date I was given which was great.

Original Body Stick
Original Body Stick

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for calf and hamstring muscle massage, 8 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Original Body Stick (Sports)
I like to run regularly 3 to 5 times a week and had at one point got up to 30 miles a week and did a couple of half marathons. But since then I've had several calf muscle tears and suffered with tendonitis for the last couple of years. I guess this was caused by overtraining. Each time I've had a tear I've had massage, acupunture and done a variety of exercises to clear it. So I was looking for something which I could use daily to keep my muscles loose and to reduce tension. I've been using the stick for a few months now and it realy does reduce tension in muscles and the tendonitis has been improving gradually so that now I hardly notice it. I'm still taking care not to overdo the mileage and taking it steady, but at least I can keep on running.
I'd recommend the stick to anyone who suffers from tight calfs and/or a history of calf tears and tendonitis.

Berghaus Men's Navigator Cargo Pant -  Iron Grey, 32 Inch Waist 34 Inch Leg
Berghaus Men's Navigator Cargo Pant - Iron Grey, 32 Inch Waist 34 Inch Leg

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pair of casual trousers, 8 Feb. 2013
I was looking for some light weight casual trousers which would be good for outdoors but also smart enough to wear to work. I found that normal cargo trousers are quite heavy weight and bulky and too casual looking for work. These Berghaus Navigator pants are ideal for what I wanted. They are very comfortable and fit extremely well. Side pocket is just the right size for my mobile phone. Delivery was very quick as well.