Profile for Jenny > Reviews

Feels Like Home
Feels Like Home
Offered by simply-well-priced

5.0 out of 5 stars NORAH JONES - A REAL BIG STAR IN THE MAKING, 12 April 2004
This review is from: Feels Like Home (Audio CD)
I was a little apprehensive about Norah's "Feels Like Home" on the first few listenings. My initial thought, nowhere near as good as "Come Away With Me" or "New York City". I WAS WRONG. First impressions are not always the best when it comes to musical assessment.
"Come Away With Me" was a hard act to follow but Norah has scored some extra points from me on this album. In my view, the tracks are different from "Come Away With Me". They are more kind of bluesy/folky/Cagean/ballady genres all rolled into the one album. I must confess though, it has taken me a few playings to become firmly attached to the tracks and appreciate them fully. Now, I can't stop listening.
All of the tracks are excellent but I do have my favourites which I rate as follows:
1. What Am I To You - wonderfully bluesy - 10/10
2. Those Sweets Words - beautifully sung ballad - 9/10
3. Be Here To Love Me - fabulously emotional - 10/10
4. Creepin' In - duet with Dolly Parton - Cagean feel - 10/10
5. Humble Me - great rendition by Norah - touching - 10/10
6. Above Ground - very powerful ballad - love it - 10/10
7. The Long Way Home - this one is made for Norah - 10/10
8. The Prettiest Thing - Norah's soft style, wonderful - 10/10
The other musical participants in the album are also to be congratulated. At first I thought to myself, Norah and Dolly in a duet - strange brew indeed. They carry "Creepin' In" off to perfection.
This is an excellent album. My hope for Norah is that she goes from strength to strength but does not get caught up in the pop music scene. As long as she continues to produce the kind of music that she likes, she will become stronger and stronger. I have been a big fan for quite some time.
Of the current crop of female vocalists, I think Norah the best by a mile. However, she is still some way behind my firm No.1 favourite, Eva Cassidy. No-one comes close to Eva. Her sad passing has left the world a little less richer for her musical contribution.
Music lover