Profile for Mark Ayliffe > Reviews

Content by Mark Ayliffe

Mark Ayliffe (Cambridge, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Fitness Tracker with Heart Rate Monitor, Bluetooth Smart Wristband Bracelet Sport Pedometer Activity Tracker with Step Tracker/Calorie Counter/Sleep Tracker for iPhone iOS and Android Phone
Offered by GanRiver

2.0 out of 5 stars Curate's egg, but ultimately flawed, 2 April 2017
This is my second such device. I used a Garmin for over a year until it failed. I've been using this for 4 days now, so this is a bit more than first impressions. As with most of these devices, it probably suits someone who exercises by running, rather than rowing and cycling as I do.

Pros
- Rechargeable. Much better than fiddling with odd button cells every few weeks. It also seems quite frugal in its use of the battery. I tend to keep most rechargeable things charged up and I think it only takes about 5-10 minutes a day in a USB port to keep it fully charged.
- Readable in total darkness. The display light is good for reading the display at night and generally works well indoors.
- Heart-rate monitor when resting. I have an unusually low resting heart-rate and this device seems to measure it about right most of the time.
- Configurable display orientation. I use the default landscape mode, but I can see that some might prefer the portrait orientation.
- Step count for walking seems accurate.
- Charts and details in the app look good, some of the writing is a bit small and not zoom-able, but that's not unusual.
- I've not used most of the phone linking stuff, but the camera control seems fun and the alerts might be useful to some.
- Sleep monitoring looks OK as far as I can tell.
- Adjustable targets for steps and daily sleep.

Cons
- The display unreadable in daylight. In fact in bright sunlight I cannot tell if the display is even on.
- The swipe action to activate and change the display is awkward if you're doing something involving your hands, e.g. rowing, cycling. This is necessary even to see the time of course, so it limits its usefulness as a watch.
- The heart-rate measure (for me) when exercising is woefully erratic and around 20-30 bpm low. I use a polar system on my rowing machine and the heart-rate on this device is just not close.
- Because of the above, it does not do a good job of measuring time in exercise bands. I do a 25-30 minute session on the Concept2 most days and the device has not shown any exercise, even fat burning.
- The maximum heart rate can be set to a custom value, but not the min heart rate, It also doesn't seem to adjust its exercise zones on the basis of the (inaccurately) measured resting heart rate.
- The display is not active for very long and this is not configurable. This makes it less useful when exercising
- Step count very erratic for exercise other than walking. I'm used to this from the Garmin, but this device seems a bit wilder even than that. After a half hour rowing (2,500 steps), an hour or so rolling flat breads in the kitchen and a couple of hours in the garden mowing and digging, the device showed 20k steps, which is a bit over the top.
- The system does not have an adaptive steps target, just a fixed one which you can of course change.
- Resting heart-rate display in the app seems wrong. At times for me it shows a resting heart rate above my daily average heart rate.

So I'm not sure how long I'll stick with it.

BLACK+DECKER KS890ECN Scorpion Saw
BLACK+DECKER KS890ECN Scorpion Saw

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 26 Mar. 2017
Well made. Probably OK for fine detail work, but cutting by hand will be faster for most people. I bought it for cutting small to medium stuff in the garden. It's too noisy & too slow. I can cut 2-3" branches much faster by hand. Might be good using the hacksaw blade on metal, but that's not what I bought it for. I should have paid more & got a chainsaw. Working out how to fit the blade isn't easy, but once you've done it it's fairly easy. Overall disappointed.

1.8'' Jumbo Red LED Alarm Clock
1.8'' Jumbo Red LED Alarm Clock

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Dec. 2016
Excellent bedroom clock. Would be readable from a very long range with normal eyesight.

ThermoPro TP50 Large LCD Digital Thermo-hygrometer, Monitor Temperature and Humidity Meter for Home Office Comfort, Min/Max Records
Offered by My iTronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Dec. 2016
Good little device. Shows max & min of temperature and humidity.

Salter Ultra Slim Analyser Bathroom Scales
Salter Ultra Slim Analyser Bathroom Scales

5.0 out of 5 stars Good set of scales, 1 Mar. 2016
Pleased with this set of scales. Weight exactly matches my old Hanson scales. BMI/fat & water are undoubtedly not accurate, but useful for monitoring my own state.

UniBond Aero 360 Pure Moisture Absorber Device with 1 Tab
UniBond Aero 360 Pure Moisture Absorber Device with 1 Tab
Offered by Webbasket

3.0 out of 5 stars but I don't think I'd expect it to do a great job anywhere, 23 Dec. 2015
Got this to use in the garage, not expecting perfection, but hopefully to avoid condensation. But after several weeks it has collected less than a litre of water. And the RH has not been low at around 65-80%. Might be OK where the temperature is higher (though weather has been v mild recently) or the humidity higher, but I don't think I'd expect it to do a great job anywhere.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Performance Wired Tyre with Smartguard Endurance Reflex 895 g - 700 x 35C (37-622)
Offered by Baldwins Cycles

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well., 23 Dec. 2015
Brilliant tyres, been using this type for many, many years of daily cycling. Very few punctures indeed.

Psychedelic Tapestry hippie tapestry mandala tapestry wall hanging wall decor...
Offered by Raajsee

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, 23 Dec. 2015
Looks nice hanging in my daughter's bedroom. Good quality for the price I think. We were able to fold two edges in to middle to cover a narrower section of wall then the width of the hanging.

Indian Elephant Mandala Tapestry, Hippie Tapestries, Tapestry Wall Hanging, Indian Black & White Tapestry , Bohemian Dorm Decor Mandala Tapestries by Craftozone
Offered by AakritiGallery