Profile for L. Brown > Reviews

Content by L. Brown

L. Brown (Bristol, UK)

Kidpower Safety Comics: An Introduction to "People Safety" for Younger Children Ages 3-10 and Their Adults
by Irene van der Zande

5.0 out of 5 stars makes safety fun not scary, 23 Sept. 2012
There's a huge amount of useful information in this slim book. It works on two levels - the simple drawings and easy to follow stories are attractive to children, and the separate explanatory text makes it easy for their adults to ensure that the children understand how and when to use the safety rules. It's the kind of stuff that you think children ought to know (What do I do if a stranger talks to me? How do I get help if I'm being picked on in the playground? What do I do if I don't like how someone touches me?). The sad thing is that kids are still being bullied, abused and abducted so we need to help them by teaching them skills that give them the best chance of staying safe. But it tends to either not get taught, or adults scare kids without giving them the skills they need to become safer. This comic gives adults a brilliant and fun tool for teaching and practicing these skills with the children they care for.

Bickiepegs Doidy Cup (Red)
Bickiepegs Doidy Cup (Red)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good learning tool, 28 Dec. 2009
I got this for my 7 month old who was happy with breast and bottle feeding but was having trouble with beakers. He quickly got the idea that he got drinks from it, although tends to also try chewing it and tipping it down his front :-) I think if the handles were a bit chunkier he'd find it easier to control the cup, but he's getting better with each week. At any rate, he's happy to keep practicing with it.