Profile for heyjude > Reviews

Content by heyjude

heyjude "heyjude" (France)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
4" x 2" Curved Sides solid brass engraved nameplate. Personalised engraved memorial plaque

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommended, 5 April 2016
Highly recommended. I have not seen the plaque myself but am assured that it is excellent. Many thanks for help in design and speedy despatch.

Lloytron E886 Travel Kettle With Cups
Lloytron E886 Travel Kettle With Cups
Offered by SOC ONLINE

5.0 out of 5 stars ideal, 20 Jun. 2014
As we travel as cheaply as we can within the limits of 'comfort' we find that not ALL hotel rooms on mainland Europe have a kettle in the room - this little travel kettle fits the bill. Highly recommended.

Last Train to Paradise: Henry Flagler and the Spectacular Rise and Fall of the Railroad That Crossed an Ocean
by Les Standiford

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic biography, 20 Jun. 2014
This is a really interesting book about the development of Florida, basically, and one man's obsession with putting rail links into impossible places. The amazing story of Flagler - a VERY rich man, as rich as Venderbilt but unheard of by most people. Highly recommended.

Elizabeth is Missing
Elizabeth is Missing
by Emma Healey

2.0 out of 5 stars not for everyone?, 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Elizabeth is Missing (Hardcover)
Looking at some of the other reviews I see that they are written in response to readers being sent advance copies by the publishers. I think they are clearly all younger readers - younger than Maud (82?) the protagonist, that is.
This book was given to me (a signed copy, indeed) for my 70th birthday - not a good move on the part of the givers, sadly. I agree with all the comments of the other reviewers - Maud's dementia is well handled and it is a 'good' first novel - it really feels as though Maud is there talking to you BUT .......... as one gets older and dementia or no dementia one has problems with word finding and remembering why you happen to be where you are this book can be a bit depressing. When we are younger we may have word finding difficulties etc but we may not be so aware that we are ageing. I am a 'young' healthy 70 year old but found Maud's progressive dementia (she recognises her daughter and granddaughter at the beginning but not always at the end of the novel) hindered any enjoyment I might have derived from the novel. What others described as 'black humour' I found depressing! I would probably not have finished reading the novel had it not been given as a gift.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2015 3:50 PM GMT

Charles Gerard Belarus Two Tone ladies Gold watch with diamonds and date by Oskar Emil

4.0 out of 5 stars really pleased with purchase, 30 Dec. 2013
I have had this watch a while now and am very pleased with my purchase. Not too sure about the diamonds - I don't think anyone will glance at it and say 'wow - look at those diamonds' but I suppose I know they're there!!! You also need good eyesight to see the date but I'm pleased with the design of this watch and its accuracy. I feel adequately dressed when I wear it and it goes with all my 'stuff'. I feel able to recommend it.

Julie Diane Caffe Perfetto 3 in 1 Coffee Machine - Espresso, Cappuccino, Filter Coffee

5.0 out of 5 stars super machine, 30 Dec. 2013
So far we are very pleased with our purchase and I love the frothy coffee it makes. A few parts in plastic so we'll use with care and the coffee jugs will be treated with respect (I'm very good at breaking cafetieres!) as I don't know if it's replaceable. We've been using it a week and so far so good. One of the reasons we particulalry like this is that we have different coffees for breakfast and this way both can be made at the same time. We didn't want one of the machines that uses expensive 'cartridges' (dosettes in french). We highly recommend this machine but it probably needs to be treated with respect - but then, in our opinion, the price is good.

Boys Onesie All In One Spiderman 9-10 Years 100% Cotton
Boys Onesie All In One Spiderman 9-10 Years 100% Cotton

5.0 out of 5 stars smiling face, 30 Dec. 2013
I am VERY pleased with this purchase. good quality, good price and a VERY happy grandson! His face when he saw this made it worth the purchase.

AnySharp Pro World's Best Knife Sharpener
AnySharp Pro World's Best Knife Sharpener

4.0 out of 5 stars a useful tool, 30 Dec. 2013
We have used this once or twice and found it very effective. It's far smaller than I anticipated (I didn't check the size on the description (doh!). Do look at the videos 'You Tube' on how to use it - I think it must be helpful to do so as some people have commented that it makes a horrid noise when you use it - well, we can only imagine they pressed too hard. You just 'wipe' the knife across and it's sharp. I can also understand the comments on swarf - the knife may need wiping with a cloth after but it's negligible and can be no more than if you were using a stone to sharpen. The suction pad is amazing and definitely holds the gadget to the surface. Why only 4 stars - well, we haven't used it much and so we don't know the long term effects and it's not a cheap item. I can understand why it advises againt using on finely serrated knives, so I won't try it on mine! But I'm glad I bought it - it means I can sharpen knives very quickly and easily.

Dower & Hall Spiral 18ct Yellow Gold Plated on Sterling Silver Carved Pattern Chunky Hoop Earring

4.0 out of 5 stars they look good, 30 Dec. 2013
I was a little disappointed with this purchase as nowhere does it say 18ct gold on the earrings or the packing as far as I can see - no hall mark? And although they look fairly chunky they are in fact hollow - hence the price, I suppose. However once they are on they look great and better than I expected when I first opened them - So overall I am very pleased with them especially with the promotiional price I paid.

Alan Paine Men's Argyle Wool ScarfCamel/White/Silver One Size
Alan Paine Men's Argyle Wool ScarfCamel/White/Silver One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars great scarf, 30 Dec. 2013
This is an enormous scarf - should keep the recipient warm this winter! Lovely colours - very pleased with purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4