Profile for Nick Butler > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
A God That Could be Real: Spirituality, Science, and the Future of Our Planet
A God That Could be Real: Spirituality, Science, and the Future of Our Planet
by Nancy Ellen Abrams

4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed her talk with Joanna Harcourt-Smith on future primitive, 14 Aug. 2016
The title is very enticing. Nancy has a very engaging type personality. I really enjoyed her talk with Joanna Harcourt-Smith on future primitive. The problem with the book is that if you are a Christian much of what she says goes against the grain .When I think of the cosmic self I have immense gratitude which Nancy helps me to appreciate. She uses some colourful phrases such as "milk life for it is worth" She like me loves the idea of emergence but her explanations of it are too convoluted for me but if you want a 2016 ultra modern view of God this is it.. An open mind is required. I wish the book success.

The Way of the Wind: The Path and Practice of Evolutionary Christian Mysticism
The Way of the Wind: The Path and Practice of Evolutionary Christian Mysticism

5.0 out of 5 stars Evolutionary mysticism at its best!, 19 Feb. 2016
Bruce is an intellectual heavyweight but he is great at making his ideas easily understandable to the person in the street. I like the way he interprets the New Testament in a modern scientific way. I like the way he implies we are here for the perfection and evolution of love. I like the idea of wholeness animating the universe. Many of his ideas are game changers. Thanks Bruce.

The Unbearable Wholeness of Being: God, Evolution, and the Power of Love
The Unbearable Wholeness of Being: God, Evolution, and the Power of Love
by OSF Ilia Delio

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit wordy, 21 May 2015
30% of this book very good especially the section on quantum wholeness so you could risk buying it for the sake of the 30%. But I found 70% too complex for me to get much benefit from.

The Search for Spirituality: Our Global Quest for a Spiritual Life
The Search for Spirituality: Our Global Quest for a Spiritual Life
by Ursula King

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable and enjoyable, 18 May 2015
Very readable with only average intelligence needed. A prior enthusiasm to learn about all the religions and pseudo-religions of the world is needed to get the full benefit of the book. Ursula rises the flag for the females - good for her. Good resource information in the notes at the end.

If Darwin Prayed
If Darwin Prayed

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes poetry come alive!, 26 April 2015
This review is from: If Darwin Prayed (Kindle Edition)
The nuances of poetry are something I find difficult but Bruce makes poetry come alive so this book requires many reads and much pondering. Much depth and subtlety in this great book.

Tails I Lose: The Compulsive Gambler Who Lost His Shirt for Good
Tails I Lose: The Compulsive Gambler Who Lost His Shirt for Good
by Justyn Rees Larcombe

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing true story, 30 July 2014
Fascinating story of an adrenalin junkie. A very confident Mr fix-it tried to fix one thing too many. A very engrossing and well written true story. I highly recommend it.

Undercover Marriage (Love Inspired Suspense)
Undercover Marriage (Love Inspired Suspense)
by Terri Reed
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting read, 14 July 2014
Okay this is pure escapism but it is still an exciting read. Well written in fact I rate Terri Reed highly as a suspense writer and this story is particularly emotive

Two Wheels on my Wagon: A Bicycle Adventure in the Wild West
Two Wheels on my Wagon: A Bicycle Adventure in the Wild West
by Paul Howard

4.0 out of 5 stars well written, 8 May 2014
This book is well worth buying simply because of its numerous interesting words and phrases eg conviviality,alacrity,bravado, arboreal epiphany, inured and rain intensified from heavy to deluvian.

Peacemakers Series # 2 - Simple Faith Paperback
Peacemakers Series # 2 - Simple Faith Paperback
by Anna Schmidt

5.0 out of 5 stars very well written, 7 May 2014
This is the second book in the peacemaker series set during the second world war. We are all very much pampered in 2014 if we eat three meals a day and dont have to scramble over mountains secretly in the dead of night.
Very gripping story. Amazing courage showm by the leading characters.

Off the Rails: 10,000 km by Bicycle Across Russia, Siberia and Mongolia to China
by Tim Cope

4.0 out of 5 stars great read, 19 April 2014
These two Australians are hugely courageous adventurers. Secondly the are both great writers with very good geographical descriptions. They make a few philosophical points although i would have appreciated more. Like all short sighted people I would have preferred larger print.
Both tim and Chis made an already hazardous journey more so by using recumbent bikes as opposed to conventional ones. Secondly they shared a tent whereas single occupancy tents would have allowed them more much needed psychological space.
Remarkable that they are still great friends after such an amazing adventure. A truly amazing well written story

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5