Profile for JohnM > Reviews

Content by JohnM

JohnM (Solihull, UK)

Remote Control Helicopter - Mini Gyro Zoomer RC Helicopter - Worlds Smallest Gyro Helicopter!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful product!, 12 Dec. 2010
This is my first heli so, at 80 and with poor coordination, I am slow to learn flying in 3-D. However, after three weeks, flying a dozen times a day, still with several smashes most flights, I can confirm that despite crashing into all the furniture, walls and ceilings hundreds of times (I'd say), the model is still flying. The blades are now slightly dented and the rear prop and little fins have been straightened a couple of times. One main blade broke and has been glued and flown, so there is still a full set of spares. This model is tough.

Its stability is uncanny, hovering as if hanging. Are there two gyros? The ingenious balance bar "Gyros" if you hold the model and tilt it. But if you turn it, the motors buzz objection, which suggests an on-chip gyro, too. That would provide for the rapid and precise direction control, and enable the settings of zero rotation or of slow turning in either direction (helpful for learning),.

The model sucks itself into walls and ceilings, however, although it seems self-centring over the bed (better than armchair flying) but not a table. There is enough power for a couple of quick blips to set it back on its feet after a crash - which saves me a lot of bending. They have thought of everything.

This is high technology and the manufacture is superb. It is not a just a snap-fit cheapie toy, this is high-grade engineering - I count 22 screws.

Flashing lights might seem flashy but they help in finding the model behind the sofa. I wish they were just red and green, though, so I can tell if the model is going or coming - especially when (= if ever) I fly in the dark. Another improvement would be a longer boss above the blades so the tips do not hit the ceiling and clatter to the floor. Plug-in batteries would be good, too, two charging while one flies.

Mine does not fly for 7 minutes but that might be because I fly so badly, with many full-power bursts. But I can now fly badly in a smaller cluttered room. That is progress!

And the model arrived next day. I often think these reviews are written for a fee. Not this one! I am so impressed with the product. But if Paramountzone . . . . . (I'd keep it pristine once I learn to fly - honest).