Profile for QS > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Home Made Glass Preserving Jar, 500 ml
Home Made Glass Preserving Jar, 500 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 15 April 2014
I didn't buy this for preserving. I just wanted a plain, simple, good shaped mason jar - and that is what I got!

Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & Styling
Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & Styling
by Helene Dujardin

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 15 April 2014
Covers everything you need it to start food photography - but not too basic - It would be a good companion for the absolute beginner to intermediate photographer. Beautiful and inspiring photographs illustrate the points made in the text.

PhysioRoom Yoga Foam Block Brick - 1 Block, Stretching Aids, Yoga Tool, Pilates, No Straining, Develop Core Muscle, Strength Training, EVA Foam, Comfortable, Block, Gym, Home, Exercise, Fitness, Sport, Improves Muscle Strength, Posture - BK369
Offered by PhysioRoomLTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 24 Feb. 2014
I bought this mainly for yoga - putting my hand on in certain posture, squeezing in between legs in leglifts/abdominal, laying on in chest openers.. It is a decent foam block. It's not super hard and It obviously doesn't provide the same support as a wooden block so you're using regularly at home you may find a wooden block more stable. But I wanted something lightweight and cheap and it does the job!

Green People Daily Aloe Shampoo 200ml
Green People Daily Aloe Shampoo 200ml
Offered by Activecare Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean but not drying, 24 Feb. 2014
- This shampoo leaves my scalp clean but not dry. You may still want to use a conditioner but think it's a really balanced shampoo. It cleans, but doesn't 'strip' the hair clean. It's moisturising but doesn't leave product on the hair like I found with Dr Organics Aloe Vera shampoo.
- It has a neutral smell.
- Before buying I thought it fairly expensive for my budget, but the quality is worth it and it is concentrated so should last longer. I've found to make the most of it I dilute/mix some with water in a separate bottle first before applying. Adding more if needed. I tend to use more product purely in an attempt to get more foam! If you dilute it first more bubbles come with less product = you use less product for the same result and last longer.
- I've found it perfect for normal hair and dreadlocks.

Day Solution SPF15 (Day Cream)
Day Solution SPF15 (Day Cream)
Offered by Activecare Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but makes skin White and doesn't feel smooth when applying, 24 Feb. 2014
It is a good quality cream however:

- It doesn't rub in smoothly unless you use a lot - I don't mean that the texture of the cream isn't smooth, more like the cream does not 'melt into the skin'. Think the opposite to how oil or a luxurious cream rubs into your skin. I've used GP's suncream before and this is the same, so I presume it's a characteristic of the organic SPF factor.

- It makes the skin slightly white - Not hugely, and this is probably fine if you use it under make-up.

Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers and Practitioners
Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers and Practitioners
by Coulter H. David

5.0 out of 5 stars Precise, deep and thorough, 9 Nov. 2012
I haven't finished the book yet. But so far it's exactly what I was looking for. Precise, thorough anatomy from the beginning (but definitely not just for beginners) that is always referred back to in a yoga context. I don't have prior understanding of anatomy and there are some sections I've had to skim over (the book suggests to do this) but there is useful information for all levels of understanding, and I imagine that as my knowledge grows I'll refer back to the book and continue to learn something new from the book and expand my knowledge each time I pick it up.

I bought this book as well as Kaminoff's Yoga Anatomy. So far I feel Kaminoff's book is more suited to discussing the specific muscles and alignment involved asana by asana. This book is a lot deeper, teaching you more specifically where the muscles are and more importantly how they work together (lots of great diagrams). Also how the whole body works in relation to yoga, explaining everything in yoga physically/physiologically. So far I've found a few things yoga teachers have said in the past that I've never known why it's important or where they've come from. For example why it's bad physically/physiologically to hold your breath in asana practice, and why you might want to do certain types of abdominal exercises with a relaxed abdomen. There's also lots of little exercise for you to try yourself to understand experientially what the book is discussing.

Yoga Anatomy-2nd Edition
Yoga Anatomy-2nd Edition
by Leslie Kaminoff

4.0 out of 5 stars Would benefit from some anatomy knowledge prior to reading, 10 Oct. 2012
This is not an introduction to anatomy. This is anatomy applied to yoga. It does cover the basic anatomical theory and terms used to describe the postures, including skeletal and muscular actions. However a prior understanding of the muscles; their names and perhaps how they are linked, would make sure you got the most out of this book book.

The revised edition is clearer and better structured than the first edition.

INSIDE THE BOOK
The first 4 chapters cover:
-Beautiful introduction discussing how intrinsic the basic yogic concepts are in the body, before we even start asana.
-How breathing effects the shape of the body/spine and how this relates to yoga (why we inhale and exhale with certain movements).
-The spine including it's development and range of motion.
-The skeletal system including how to describe actions of the of the joints and bones.
-The muscular system including how to describe muscle contractions, briefly what are agonist-antagonist pairs, and a little about how flexibility and strength relate to the muscles.

The author relates everything to the basic concepts of yoga discussed at the beginning.
None of this is in depth, but enough to basically understand what is happening in each posture anatomically.

From chapter 5 it begins to apply this anatomy clearly and thoroughly to asana. The book does NOT cover the names of muscles but obviously, DOES use them. Previous knowledge or another book will be needed to understand the names of muscles and where the muscles are exactly.

For example: (view "look inside" to get a better idea)
"Concentric contraction. To stabilize and abduct shoulder joint: Rotator cuff, biceps brachii (long head), deltoid."
From the book you will understand what concentric contraction is and what abduct the shoulder means, i.e. you will understand how to describe the muscular and skeletal actions. However without prior knowledge, you won't find out what or where the rotator cuff, biceps brachii (long head) or deltoid are, or get an idea of how they are linked and work together. Some of the muscles are labeled in the images, but not all muscles involved are labelled, and not in all of the postures, and there's no specific section teaching muscle names or position.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2015 10:23 PM GMT

Magnum UL4 Shackle Lock 115 X 230 X 13mm With 120Cm Coil
Magnum UL4 Shackle Lock 115 X 230 X 13mm With 120Cm Coil

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong Lock, 11 Jan. 2012
I've had this lock nearly a year now and I'm still happy. I chose it because it seemed tough and good value because it included the coil as well.

This lock is quite heavy which is the only reason I haven't given it 5 star. (I'll weigh it and update as I remember trying to find this out before I bought it). However the weight hasn't bothered me much, even though I've always carried it in my bag or attached it to the pannier of my bike. I've never used the frame that came with it to attach the lock to the bike so can't comment how good that it.

The lock is strong and tough and I've always felt safe leaving my bike. (My bike's not super flash but I've left it for a couple of days a few times in central London as it's still been there when I got back!).

The key is quite fragile. After reading some of the other reviews before buying I made sure that I've NEVER forced the key. If something is stopping the key from turning then the 2 parts of the lock probably aren't pushed together fully.

Once I was travelling with the lock, locked but in two parts. I think the actual lock inside twisted because I couldn't unlock it for a while and had to shake the barrel a bit, so I've always carried it locked in one part since.

I've always left and locked my bike outside and had no problems regarding weather. This is the first winter I've left it outside locked extensively and the lock is fine so far. I'll update if any problems arise from weather!

Sennheiser HD 228 Closed back On ear Stereo Headphones - Black
Sennheiser HD 228 Closed back On ear Stereo Headphones - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound. Light and compact - not tough and solid., 23 Dec. 2009
I was looking for medium sized pair of headphones that gave a strong, full sound. That coped with bass but didn't over power melody and I'm really very happy with these headphones. They don't fit too tightly on the ear so are comfortable to use for a fair few hours. As with most headphones, the sound is slightly deeper if you push them against the ear but I don't think this accounts for much for most people unless you're more seriously/professionally involved with music. If you listen to music extensively (say 4/5hrs+ per day) then consider headphones that sit in or around (as opposed to on) the ear for better comfort. I've had little problem with sound leakage and found I can really immerse myself in sound with these headphones. I've found that I don't need my music turned up full blast to produce a 'loud' sound (hope that makes sense!), which saves battery!

They are very light, but not the toughest most solid headphones, so be careful with them! I've had these headphones for 3 years now and finally the left ear has stopped working. Very common issue with all headphones due to carelessness with the wire at the jack rather than these headphones per se. I'm hoping to get it fixed rather than buy a new set of headphones as I am very happy with this pair. I do wish all headphone manufacturers would make this part of the wire stronger!!

Fashion Illustration by Fashion Designers
Fashion Illustration by Fashion Designers
by Laird Borrelli

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 22 Dec. 2009
Really beautiful fashion illustrations both to look at and to gain inspiration if developing personal style.
Not technical drawings. It's not going to show you how to draw the anatomy of the figure perfectly or give you design ideas, but inspire drawing technique/use of line.

Page: 1 | 2