Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Phil > Reviews

Content by Phil

Phil (Bristol, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Sound of Butterflies
The Sound of Butterflies
by Rachael King

5.0 out of 5 stars A jewel in arid times, 6 April 2008
I wrote a full review of this book last year, and then PING! it shot off into the ether recently. Goodness knows why, but I'm crap with computers, so it was bound to happen sometime. Anyway, this book is so good that I wanted to put a brief 5-star review back in, because it thoroughly deserves a high rating, and lots of readers.

In summary: rich, luxuriant prose (fantastic descriptions of the jungle); an absorbing story, winningly told, and taking a good swipe at those who abuse and exploit; excellent characters, unstilted dialogue, and it pulls all the strings emotionally, without overdoing it. I shed some tears at the end, but whether from joy or sadness I leave you to discover. A highly recommended novel.

Songs Of Mass Destruction
Songs Of Mass Destruction
Offered by Leisurezone

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional song-writing, 12 Dec. 2007
I'm surprised by some of the views expressed here. Maybe some reviewers listened to the album just once and gave up on it; it disappointed me, too, on first listening, but it quickly grew on me, as some of the best music does, and now I consider it one of the best albums I've ever heard. The music is rich and complex, with fantastic melodies, and I would say there's only one weak track ('Sing' - and even that has a good chorus). Lennox's voice gets better and better: the vocals on the eerily atmospheric Through The Glass Darkly (for me, the best track), Smithereens, Womankind, and Big Sky are just stupendously good.

What distinguishes this from many other artists' work is the quality of the song-writing: the chord changes are so sophisticated, and there are many layers to every song, so that you hear something new each time you listen. (Rarely true of every single track on an album.) If you like your music raw and imperfect, you might find it over-produced, but in my view the production only enhances the quality.

So would this album would appeal to you? Well, if you liked Lennox's previous solo albums, then probably it would; musically, it isn't a departure from the past. Like me, you might find it an album you're unlikely ever to tire of.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2007 11:58 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4