Profile for I. Stratton > Reviews

Search Press Books Children's Sun Hats,
Search Press Books Children's Sun Hats,
Offered by Stuff 4 Crafts

1.0 out of 5 stars Spoilt for a pennyworth of tar...., 25 Jun. 2017
Borrowed it from library. Patterns need to be copied at 200%. It would have taken 4 extra pages to print pattern full sized. Very annoying.

Teaching Probability
Teaching Probability
by Jenny Gage

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and very useful!, 31 Aug. 2016
This review is from: Teaching Probability (Paperback)
The book is written for teachers of 11 to 18 year olds - I'm a medical statistician. Ordered this book as I need to find a way to explain risk to patients. Last section of the book is extremely useful and the links to David Spiegelhalter's website gave us an hour of entertainment looking at the different ways of demonstrating what 2% risk looked like. I think it would be useful to anyone trying to explain probability - maybe start with those trying to teach statistics to medical students.

Bosch Rotak 32 LI Ergoflex Cordless Lawn Mower with 36 V Lithium-Ion Battery, Cutting Width 32 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars stress free mowing...., 19 May 2014
I bought this on the recommendation of a professional gardener. It's great because it takes far less time to mow the lawn and I'm not constantly worried that I'm going to run over the wire... even with a circuit breaker. I can do front and back lawns in under half an hour and get others to do it!

The Art of Seamless Knitting
The Art of Seamless Knitting
by Simona Mechant-Dest

2.0 out of 5 stars Some strange patterns....., 23 July 2013
The technical part of this book is fine. However I found the patterns very unappealing with cables that seems to wander all over the place. None of them were things that I would have made - I got the book from the library so at least I hadn't bought it.
Anne Budd's books are far better for the sort of knitting I do.

Knitter's Handy Book of Top-Down Sweaters
Knitter's Handy Book of Top-Down Sweaters
by Ann Budd
Edition: Hardcover-spiral

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very useful book, 13 Nov. 2012
A friend had a large bag of alpaca from her own animals which she had spun but she can't knit. This book was ideal - trying out different needle size to get a fabric which was the a weight she liked then making it to exactly match a sweater she had worn to death. Almost finished! It seems to be a popular book on Ravelry already.

Good Food: Easy Baking Recipes (Good Food 101)
Good Food: Easy Baking Recipes (Good Food 101)
by Dundee Fellow Sarah Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost it to my son....., 13 Nov. 2012
This book has fabulous recipes in it of the sort which suit our family - cakes to keep and ones that look great without too much fuss. Sadly I showed this to my son and it has now gone to Peckham. Will have to buy another copy....

The Voyages of the Princess Matilda
The Voyages of the Princess Matilda
Offered by Audible Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Listened to this in the car ....., 10 Jun. 2012
I listened to this driving to and from work - 50 or so miles each way so this took 4 return trips.
The audio book is annoying in one way - the flash-backs to Tim's illness are quieter than the rest about the boat trip so that when one of those bits starts one has to turn up the volume - maybe o.k. if you're listening at home but not in the car.
My husband died some years ago from cancer and to be honest I felt like shouting at the author - "Get a grip, it's not as if he died". Maybe I have a rather jaundiced view - well maybe that's not the right term - but having survivied being left along to bring up a 6 year old daughter and to get a 15 year old son through his GCSEs and A levels then a few months sitting by a husband's bedside doesn't seem too bad.
I like boats - I sail, and I was horrified at the lack of knowledge when they set off. I'm glad I'm sailing in Scotland this summer - hoping the Princess Matilda is somewhere on the inland waterways where there's less chance of them needing to call out the lifeboat.
There were also a few mis-pronounciations - gunwale and cerulean are ones that immediately spring to mind.

Statistics with Confidence: Confidence Intervals and Statistical Guidelines, 2nd Edition
by Douglas Altman

5.0 out of 5 stars Vital for any statistician, 20 May 2012
Very useful book though a CD with the software would have been more useful than the disc. This book is one of the top ten for statisticians, easy to find what one's looking for.

Whatever It Is, I Don t Like It (Unabridged Audiobook)
Whatever It Is, I Don t Like It (Unabridged Audiobook)
by Howard Jacobson
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 20 May 2012
I borrowed this from the library after a colleague suggested listening to spoken word CDs rather than music whilst travelling - cost £1.50 to borrow it for 3 weeks, enjoyed every minute. Wonderful vocabulary, funny, moving. I was sorry to get the the end of the 9th CD.

Good Food: Make-ahead Meals (Good Food 101)
Good Food: Make-ahead Meals (Good Food 101)
by Barney Desmazery

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what's so special about these recipes...., 29 Mar. 2012
Well, this arrived this morning. Most of the recipes are not very inspiring, just along the way they say "This can be frozen for up to 1 month" or "This can safely be left in the fridge for 24 hours".
If I'd have seen this in a bookshop I wouldn't have bought it.
The feta and sweetcorn parcels might be worth a try and there are some leek and goats cheese pastries that can be frozen... worth trying maybe...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3