Profile for PlutoPlanter > Reviews

PlutoPlanter

Page: 1 | 2
Rogz Denim Rose Beach Bum Collar
Rogz Denim Rose Beach Bum Collar

4.0 out of 5 stars Rogz doesn't unclip easily but can be chomped through very easily!, 22 July 2016
Despite just the 4 stars, I love this collar. Anything Rogz is good quality and you can't fault the designs they come up with.

I chose this collar for the clip, it's 'lockable'. With a dog and her two pups, the pups kept hanging off her previous collar and they managed to 'ping' it off whilst on a run. We spent many hours looking for Mum's collar. However, sadly the collar was easily chomped through. Not unexpectedly. I think if Rogz could go the way of Lupine and offer a lifetime guarantee (including being chewed through) then in my books this would gain the 5 stars I'd like to give it. Not a problem for most, but it was a problem for me.

Would I buy again? Yes, absolutely :D

Pawhut PVC Coated Welded Wire Mesh Fencing Chicken Poultry Aviary Fence Run Hutch Pet Rabbit 30m Dark Green
Offered by MHSTAR

5.0 out of 5 stars PVC coated fencing - used to make a puppy pen, 22 July 2016
I've been really impressed with this product. I had a litter of puppies and needed to make an outside puppy pen. This has been perfect.

Whilst the wire is fine, that's not a problem for my medium breed dog. The gaps between the wire is far too small for them to get their mouths through, unlike most puppy pens on the market ... gaps big enough for pups to get jaws through and then stuck :(

I'd intended fixing this to wooden frames to make an interlinking series of moveable panels. As it is, I haven't had time and they've been cable tied to a number of electric fence posts (doesn't everyone have a stash of these lying around? ;) )

I would definitely recommend, certainly to anyone thinking of using it for the same purpose I have. The price was at least half the price I could have bought a similar sort of product for locally.

Delivery was quick and on time. Cannot fault.

Master Lock Aluminium combination lock box for keys - size XXL
Master Lock Aluminium combination lock box for keys - size XXL

5.0 out of 5 stars A good, sturdy key safe, 28 May 2016
A good, sturdy key safe. Easy to set numbers. Easy to use. This particular size copes well with the 5" long key it was needed for. At 15.99 an excellent price!

Hi-Tec Womens Harmony Back Strap Dark Taupe/Light Taupe/Tiffany Thong Sandals O001632/041/01 8 UK, 42 EU, 9 US

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sandals, 27 Jan. 2015
These were a great, cheaper alternative to the Teva sandals I really wanted. Really comfortable for around about town. Well made, I take a 71/2-8 size 8 was a perfect fit.

4 Lazy Legs Pets Carrier Basic, Black
4 Lazy Legs Pets Carrier Basic, Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Pet carrier - really?, 27 Jan. 2015
I'm not really sure where my head was when I decided on this purchase :( I had a young pup and wanted to take him out and about in town prior to finishing vaccinations. As I wanted to be hands-free to negotiate doors, etc, I looked around for a suitable carrier. After much research I opted for this!
I can honestly say this is downright dangerous to a dog being carried in it.
It has a bit of foam padding ... I never worked out where this was meant to go, I would have assumed over a shoulder to take some of the pressure off, but it reached no where near my shoulder.
The cord and toggles designed to take in some of the fabric, and reduce the hole the dog is sitting in, failed. As soon as weight from the dog was on the base of the bag then the cord just slipped through the toggles.
My pup was not overly wriggly. It was well within the weight range this item is supposedly designed for.
Unfortunately I left it too late to return and get a full refund. My fault, but I cannot recommend this product.

First Call Inks Ink Cartridge Replacing Epson Apple T1295 Multipack (Pack of 10: 4x Black, 2x Cyan, 2x Magenta, 2x Yellow)
Offered by First Call Inks

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality cartridges - great price, 27 Jan. 2015
I didn't write a review instantly, I thought I'd wait to see how the cartridges performed. I didn't intend leaving it over 2 years for my review!! I'm just about to order my next set of cartridges. I've been very impressed with them, the colour is good, the cartridges last quite some time. Easy to fit and what's more, the printer quite happily accepts them. Very pleased.

Pet Trimmer Pocket Pro Black
Pet Trimmer Pocket Pro Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Pocket Pro does exactly what I need it to do :), 17 Jun. 2014
I bought this product after seeing my vet use it to trim off fur to take a blood sample. She seemed quite happy with it so I decided if it was good enough for her it would be good enough for me.

I have a very heavy coated Border Collie who I usually trim on her legs and under carriage - great for the hot summer months, great to stop her getting clogged up with mud during the winter. Her coat is incredibly absorbent and difficult to keep tidy. I'd previously used scissors for this trimming but never felt entirely easy doing so, too easy to make a mistake.

I didn't want a heavy duty trimmer, nor one with the constraints of a lead. This has proved to be perfect for the job, it's also excellent at cutting through heavy matts. It's relatively quiet, my dog isn't in the slightest bit bothered by it, but then she's pretty bomb proof at the best of times :) It is important to oil it before and after use (as stated in the instructions), the battery it came with lasted quite a long time. You wont get hours of use out of the battery, and the only reason I've given 4 stars and not 5 is due to the fact that the replacement batteries I've used just don't seem to have the same punch as the original one (which I no longer have and have forgotten what type it was).

I've been using this trimmer now for several months, it's comfortable to hold and the switch is easy to operator. Another reviewer said they had to hold the switch down the whole time - I've not found that to be the case but you do have to be firm when switching it on.

If you are wanting to trim a dog all over then this is not the tool for you (it clearly states it's purpose on the packaging), but in addition to face trimming, I would recommend it for the use I'm putting it to, ie tidying up under the belly and the rear legs in order to cut down the amount of matts gathered.

The 21 Day Wonder Diet: Lose up to 10kg in three weeks (The Australian Women's Weekly Essentials)
by The Australian Women's Weekly

3.0 out of 5 stars 21-Day Wonder Diet ... too good to be true?!!, 12 Aug. 2012
OK, so the title and the claim hooked me, why wouldn't it? Having decided I'd a bit of weight to shift, I was pulled in by the claim plastered on the front cover 'lose up to 10kg (that's 22lb) in three weeks'. Sucker! I should know better, I DO know better, but ... this claim coming from such a prestigious group as the Australian Women's Weekly, had to be worth investigating.

So, pulled in with the cover hype I finally got to the nitty gritty on page 8 of the book. Yes, lose up to 10kg in 3 weeks, however, a very important little fact they forgot to tell me on the cover. Quote from the book (8 pages in!): "The diet is for TWO people" (not the recipes are for two people) ... ah ha! So we are not talking a weight loss of up to 10kg (you did know that was going to be too good to be true, didn't you?!) for just one person, silly me, but a possible combined weight loss of up to 10kg for TWO people - well, that's ok then :( Shame they omitted to tell me this on the cover, but then of course I'd not have bought it. If this 10kg value isn't for TWO people dieting then I'm not sure where they've got this value from. The book cites two testers, one losing 5kg and one losing 5.5kg (both working for the AWW test kitchen).

On page 8 it also says: "This is a serious weight-loss diet that will supply your body with around 1,000 calories per day". You're telling me it's a serious weight-loss diet, a calorific intake of that amount for that period isn't usually recommended.

So, let's get to some positives. The book is very nicely presented, as you'd expect from AWW publications. The recipes are nicely laid out, giving all the essential information regarding calories per portion, fat content, etc, etc. So, the recipes can easily be used if you are following a low-fat or weight-loss diet.

It's a 3-week programme following a daily plan, so the book tells you what to eat and when to eat it. I knew that. I don't like that part of it, but I'm prepared to swop and change - as a non-fish eater I have to. Many people will like to follow a rigid plan.

This book is the UK version, with examples of fat content eaten in an average daily diet, and various other things, given as UK values. However, they've failed to just double check the UK ingredients. Day 1 breakfast ... 200g rockmelon. Eh? Not a huge buyer of melons so maybe it's just me, but had to look on the web to find out that rockmelon = canteloupe melon! Talking of Day 1 Breakfast, the ingredients are (bearing in mind the recipe is for 2 people) 200g of rockmelon (canteloupe as I now know it), 200g of honeydew melon & 200g watermelon. We have to wait until Day 9 before melon is mentioned again - snack is 200g watermelon. Strikes me that if you rush out and buy ingredients to follow the plan on a daily basis that's a huge amount of melon gone to waste!!

So, do I recommend this as a diet plan to follow? Absolutely not.
Do I recommend it as a nice, low-fat cookbook? Well, yes, guess I would but am sure there are others that may prove better - seems to be a lack of use of seasoning and herbs.

If you want to follow a weight loss plan, then I'd look no further than Ms Conley's GI diets (see my other reviews about a couple of her books) ... use the daily calorie amounts and use the recipes from this book. I do believe 1,000 calories for 3-weeks is insufficient.

What I do like about the recipes given is bread isn't a no-no. There are a number of meals using bread, albeit rye bread.

Another downside to the book is lack of prepare ahead lunches. If you are at home for 3 weeks so having access to a cooker and you really do want to be told what to eat and when to eat it, and you don't have any foods you dislike and you don't mind huge waste of melons, oh, and you have someone to share the recipes with, then this might be the diet for you, but I'd say check out Ms Conley's first. We know hers work, she takes great pleasure in telling us they do by giving huge lists of successful dieters in her books - this one appears to have been tested by just two people.

Needless to say, I've not followed the diet, the fact it's 1,000 calories per day is enough to put me off. I am sure you will lose weight, how could you not, but I'm sure I wouldn't last the 3 weeks on this calorific level. I have used some of the recipes though, and they've been fine.

Skinner's Field & Trial Dog Food Duck & Rice
Skinner's Field & Trial Dog Food Duck & Rice

5.0 out of 5 stars Skinners Field/Trial Duck & Rice - good value, good food, 30 July 2012
I've been using this product for 10 months now and very pleased with it. As dog numbers have risen, price spent on dog food has had to lower. So with 6 collies I've gone from Burns, to Arden Grange and now to Skinners. I have to say that I have found absolutely no difference in condition between each product. This hasn't just been a fanciful change here and there, the older dogs have been on the initial feeds a good couple of years before having to 'down grade' but in price only.

Ignore the review that say tummy problems given. You CANNOT expect one food to suit every dog. They are all individuals as are humans. If you are feeding another type of food you must phase in gradually, that's not particular to this food, that's what you should do with any food changes in, so the dog's stomach copes with the change.

What I like about the product is it's wheat/gluten free, free from artificial colours/preservatives and free from BHA/BHTs. My oldest dog is only 7, my youngest 14 months, she's been on this since moving to an adult food at 9 months of age. All dogs are fit and healthy, all of them 'work', all have lovely glossy coats and very importantly all have nice, firm (kickable) stools - you can tell a lot about a dog by the stools that are produced!!

I would recommend this food, especially if like me you have to cut down on cost without wanting to cut down on quality. I know a few people who have changed to this as their dogs have a very sensitive tum, and they seem to do very nicely on it.

Worth giving it a go, but DO bear in mind, to give it a fair chance you do need to phase it in as you phase your usual food out, preferrably over a 2 weeks period. Give it a few months.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2014 6:22 AM BST

Snopake 15414 'Lite' A4 20 Pocket Display Book in Clear (Pack of 12)
Snopake 15414 'Lite' A4 20 Pocket Display Book in Clear (Pack of 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars SnoPake Display Book Lite - clear, 29 July 2012
Needed 6 display books fairly quickly, ordered these and arrived next day courtesy of my Prime trial :-)

What's not to like about these, especially at the price - far cheaper than I can get in my local supermarket or stationary shop.

Good strong spine so should stack well on bookshelves, a pocket running over spine and an inch or so onto front cover - plenty of space for personalised labels. The clear cover is just that, perfectly clear enough to see the inside cover sheet. The pockets are soft but strong - none of those nasty 'harsh' pockets that rip the instant you put something into them. The pockets are well welded onto the spine and with a 2 year guarantee too, can't go wrong. Working out at just over £1.60 each, can't go wrong!

Page: 1 | 2