Profile for Chris Wood > Reviews

Content by Chris Wood

Chris Wood "Livewire" (Stratford upon Avon)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Breville VST025 Sandwich Press, Stainless Steel
Breville VST025 Sandwich Press, Stainless Steel

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes great toasted sandwiches., 17 July 2016
Only had this a few days and have tried a variety of toasted sandwiches made on it; all good so far.
It is very simple to use, switch on wait for it to reach operating temperature, a light goes out to tell you when, stick in your tasty concoction and it will cook to your taste, that is remove it when you think its cooked (toasted/browned) enough as there is no timer. Then eat! Melted cheese and other runoffs can just be wiped away from the non stick surfaces so cleaning is just a matter of seconds. We have just come back from holiday in Italy where paninis are a cheap and tasty lunch for a busy tourist and the product of this machine compares very well with the Italian jobs. The instruction booklet has a number of suggested recipes included some of which are very elaborate with dozens of ingredients. We tried one last night, chicken, cheese, olives, capers, herbs and prosciutto very very nice indeed. Note: Raw meat that needs to be cook and this has to be done separately on another appliance or, as we did, used pre cooked chicken slices from the supermarket. Toasted cheese& ham sandwiches are really good. Important: Use good bread, being a bloke I tried sliced white and it was Ok but nowhere near as good as "proper" bread.

Sony 32GB Class 10 UHS-1 Secure Digital SDHC Memory Card
Sony 32GB Class 10 UHS-1 Secure Digital SDHC Memory Card
Offered by SHOPPE IN UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but a little slow, 17 July 2016
It works but is slow when being written to. I'm not technically minded so am not sure if this is the camera's (also Sony) fault or that of the card... whatever.. it is noticeably slower than my previous Panasonic camera that had the same card. I don't want to make too much of this, we are talking a few tenths of seconds which under normal circumstances is not a problem at all. Fortunately there is a "burst" mode on the camera which will take pictures for as long as the "shutter" button is held down writing them to the SD card only when the button is released. Transfers to a PC or device from the card are fast. I recommend this high quality SD card.

Lustrum (Cicero Trilogy)
Lustrum (Cicero Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thouroughly enjoyable., 15 Jun. 2016
I read and enjoyed this some time ago but my wife who has developed an interest in Ancient Rome following her reading of the first part of the trilogy; Imperium, is just about to start. Doing nothing by halves she is reading histories and watching Mary Beard's series and (best for me) watching, on Netflix, the series "Rome" swords, sandals and lots of sex and violence but rather blurry on accurate history if it gets in the way of a good story.
Robert Harris is an intelligent writer, perhaps my favourite, I've read most of his books and have never been disappointed. Basically the story is about the life and times of Cicero a staunch republican as seen through the eyes of his slave Tiro and set against the tumultuous backdrop of Rome's bloody transition from a republic to the short lived dictatorship of Julius Caesar. Cicero rose from humble beginnings to become a consul, the top job, of Rome. This is not a dry history book it is peopled with characters who have a life and about whom you begin to care. the history is there but as these were "exciting" times so is the history. This is an excellent book and may be read as a stand alone book but I recommend you read Imperium first. The third part of the trilogy (not yet read) is called Dictator.

B&D Universal Capacitive Stylus Pen 2-in-1 Styli Touch Screen Pen with 20Pcs Replacement Rubber Tips for Apple iPad,iPhone,iPod,Kindle,Tablet,Galaxy, LG&HTC (Black, 5.5-inch)
Offered by BaseTronics-EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product at an excellent price, 15 Jun. 2016
I bought two of these one for my wife who always uses a stylus with her iPad and one for me to try with my Windows phone and at the price didn't think I was risking much. In fact they are very, very good. They are well made, slim and elegant and comfortable in both our hands mine very big, hers very small. They work perfectly with both devices.
There is a spare tip built in, remove the cap that carries the pocket clip and there it is - ready to use. So if out and about and the usual tip fails (as they inevitably do) despair not; you're covered. Additionally there are lots and lots of spare tips of varying sizes each, presumably, suited to specific tasks.
Previously my wife used a very expensive stylus for which 4-5 replacement tips cost about a fiver. She is delighted with her new stylus and won't be going back to Mr Megabucks! I shall use a stylus from now on I have big fingers to match my big hands and text entry has always been a chore for me - no more.
We've only had them a couple of days so can't comment on durability of the stylus or it's tips but I expect it to be reasonable. I'll add an edit at a later stage if not. Excellent

OXO Good Grips Angled Measuring Jug, 500 ml
OXO Good Grips Angled Measuring Jug, 500 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little jug, 10 Jun. 2016
Always read the description! We bought this to replace our previous OXO which had given years of good service and was delight to use. It did not however survive a 2m fall onto floor tiles, the handle snapped off. The new one is just as good but unlike it's predecessor's 1 Litre capacity has a capacity of 500 millilitres - always read the description!!!
Its still a good measuring jug and we don't miss the larger capacity as much as we thought we would. We have a number of OXO utensils and gadgets all are very well made with a thought through design that make them very functional and comfortable and easy to use.

The Gemini Effect
The Gemini Effect

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good., 10 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Gemini Effect (Kindle Edition)
Dire, don't buy. It was probably written by a retired insurance salesman who bought all the verve and excitement of his working life to this book. Please note I do like (who doesn't) the Zombie genre but this is not a good example.

BRITA Marella Water Filter Jug, 3.5 L - White
BRITA Marella Water Filter Jug, 3.5 L - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Provides clean water for our coffee., 10 Jun. 2016
Bought to provide filtered water for our Nespresso machine it does exactly that getting rid of the chlorinated taste and smell of our tap water and also, presumably, of other impurities and tastes. It is made reasonably well and changing the filters is an easy task. As we usually don't have more than 2 - 4 coffees a day it is not heavily used, we drink wine never water! The built in timer that tells when to change the filter will indicate to change the filter after exactly the same period of time has elapsed whether you are using litres every hour or, as in our case, about 500 millilitres a day so we apply a little discretion and change the filter when we judge it needs doing and so save on filters they are less than £3 each but we've got to get the cost of the machine back some how.

Occasion Slate Cheese Board with 3 Stainless Steel Knives
Occasion Slate Cheese Board with 3 Stainless Steel Knives
Offered by Homeware UK

4.0 out of 5 stars A good cheeseboard., 10 Jun. 2016
Frankly a rather pretentious purchase after all what's more stylish than a large platter a cheeses and accompaniments; olives, pickles, peppers, celery, carrots etc. to present to your guests. It was used once and put away (somewhere) the knives are excellent and are still in regular use. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this set... if this is the sort of thing you like then this is the sort of thing you'll like. Its well made and does look good - just not to my/our taste.

Silverline 776536 Goldstar Countersink Screws Pack - Pack of 780
Silverline 776536 Goldstar Countersink Screws Pack - Pack of 780

5.0 out of 5 stars Good screwing., 10 Jun. 2016
After years of rummaging about in a box of random screws which had been bought, scavenged or found over the years. I thought it time to make life a little easier for me. I wasn't disappointed with the selection box from Silverline it meets all my screwing needs (there's a statement you won't often hear). The screws come in a range of sizes; seemingly the most popular/useful. They aren't the very best quality but certainly suffice for this reasonably handy handy-man around the house and garden. They are treated with some sort of rust protection plating (or dip) so should survive especially out doors for an acceptable time. The box is made of flimsy plastic but is still an enormous step forward compared to my previous arrangement. At this price you can't go wrong.

Sony LCSCSQ Soft Carrying Case for Sony T, W, and N Series Digital Cameras (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits snugly and secures the camera, 9 Jun. 2016
This fits the camera very snugly and holds it safely, there is no danger of it falling out or as once happened with a previous camera a wiry branch became caught in the wrist strap and whipped the camera out of the case into a thicket on the precipitous sides of a mountain in the Languedoc. I did recover it at the expense of lots of sweat and scratches. This new Sony case also has a small pocket for a spare battery and a belt loop. It is well made and, I'm sure, will last well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20