Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more
Profile for Paper Tiger > Reviews

Content by Paper Tiger

Paper Tiger (Cromer, UK)

Ken Hom Carbon Steel Non-Stick Wok Set with Lid, 31 cm, 5 Pieces - Black
Ken Hom Carbon Steel Non-Stick Wok Set with Lid, 31 cm, 5 Pieces - Black
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply not fit for purpose, 9 May 2013
I am a wok user of over thirty years experience. After purchasing this wok, I used it exactly as instructed, employing only the wooden utensils that were supplied with it.

Nevertheless, upon the very first time of use, the non-stick coating - which is, to all practical intents and purposes, a very thin layer of black paint - bubbled and flaked off after only a minute or two of cooking over a moderate heat. I was left with food containing large flakes of the non-stick coating. I persevered, but the problem only got worse.

My wok has now been consigned to the bin after fewer than half a dozen attempted uses. Ken Hom, you may be a good chef, but you should hang your head in shame for allowing your name to be used on this piece of rubbish.

Clearly, non-stick coatings and woks are not a good combination. My advice is simple - buy a plain carbon steel wok, season it as instructed, treat it as roughly as you like with steel implements, and enjoy years of trouble-free wok cooking.

Lee Men's Daren Regular Slim Jeans, Strip N' Stones, 34W x 34L
Lee Men's Daren Regular Slim Jeans, Strip N' Stones, 34W x 34L

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled by the pictures, 18 Nov. 2012
Great pair of jeans, well made from sturdy denim, properly dyed and very comfortable. I almost never stray from Levis, but in this instance, for reasons of economy, I did, and I'm very pleased I did.

Most significantly, these jeans are much better looking than in the accompanying photographs, which I found unattractive bordering on bizarre. They look scrunched up around the crotch, and the waistband seems to be resting just under the armpits. Perhaps the jeans they used were badly cut, or maybe the model was a peculiar shape to begin with, I really don't know.

Anyway, have a look at the photos accompanying differently coloured versions of the same jeans. See? Normal, attractive, good fit, waistband resting appropriately at waist level. Nice. Told you.

I figure I've done the seller a huge favour here. Sadly, these jeans are not as cheap now as they were when I bought them. Even so, I'm tempted to buy another pair.

David Busch's Compact Field Guide for the Nikon D5100
David Busch's Compact Field Guide for the Nikon D5100
by David D. Busch
Edition: Spiral-bound

2.0 out of 5 stars Sizing is up the chute, 7 Sept. 2012
I've no doubt the book itself is fine. I may even return to review it at a later date. In the meantime though, beware the sizing information.

Amazon describes this book as '18.9 x 2 x 24.6 cm'. I bought a plastic sleeve for it on the basis of this information. It's not even close. The book is 15.0 x 1.5 x 20.7 cm. Now, perhaps I should have waited until the book arrived, but I foolishly assumed Amazon's spec would be accurate. The plastic sleeve I bought is completely useless. Very disappointed, Amazon.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2013 6:02 PM GMT

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems okay, but not as described, 15 July 2012
Although this item is described by the seller as being a (deep breath) '3IN1 MANUAL A4 PAPER CD DVD CREDIT CARD SHREDDER SHRED STRIP CUT CUTTER PORTABLE', this is a little wide of the truth. As can be seen from the image of the box, DVDs are not mentioned in the actual product title. Worse still, the back of the box explicitly states that DVDs should NOT be shredded, as - apparently - DVDs come in varying thicknesses, and this can cause the shredding mechanism to jam and break.

I bought this item primarily to shred DVDs. Consequently, upon reading the back of the box, I was not best impressed. I decided to hell with it, I couldn't be bothered returning it for a refund, I would chance it anyway. So far, I have shredded about 30 DVDs, and - touch wood - they all shredded successfully, and without any obvious damage to the mechanism.

How long it will continue to shred DVDs successfully, and whether or not I will be eligible for a refund if / when the mechanism DOES break, I cannot be sure. So, good as far as it goes, but it's anybody's guess how far that is.

Character Phineas And Ferb Secret Design Notebook & Pen
Character Phineas And Ferb Secret Design Notebook & Pen

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading description, 5 July 2012
This item is fine for what it is. However, it is not being represented accurately by the seller. It comes without the padlock and key, as both depicted in the illustration and described in the text. We decided to keep it, but the absence of the padlock and key was a major disappointment to my daughter - hence the low overall rating.

edding 8400 Bullet Tip CD Marker Pack of of 4 - Black
edding 8400 Bullet Tip CD Marker Pack of of 4 - Black
Offered by LE-ONs

4.0 out of 5 stars By far the best of the bunch, 29 May 2012
These pens get my vote for three main reasons:
1. The ink is quick-drying and of excellent quality.
2. The pen contains much more ink than any of the other brands I've tried.
3. Despite the barrel being slightly on the chunky side, the pen has quite a fine nib, allowing for plenty of detail in my writing.

Finally, a word about value for money. I have experimented with numerous other CD / DVD markers, and had become mightily sick and tired of watching them run out of ink after a mere ten or fifteen discs. The pens in this pack of four contain far more ink than any of the other brands I've tried, yet work out at no more expensive than some, and significantly cheaper than others.

The Enlarged Devil's Dictionary (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Enlarged Devil's Dictionary (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Ambrose Bierce

4.0 out of 5 stars Satire is alive and kicking, 17 April 2009
Two years short of its centenary, this book is as relevant as ever it was, and wickedly funny to boot. Try this for size:
POLITICS, n. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.

Now if that's not relevant to today's political arena, then I'm a lawyer.
LAWYER, n. One skilled in circumvention of the law.

Essential reading. Enough said.

What We Did In Our Holidays
What We Did In Our Holidays
Offered by Smaller World Future

4.0 out of 5 stars A Sense of Vacation, 16 Aug. 2003
It is almost twenty years since the Farmers Boys, having narrowly failed to set the world alight despite a clutch of killer singles and two marvellous albums, decided to call it a day. As a Norfolk boy, I was shattered. John Peel himself lamented their passing, but good company was poor consolation for my loss.
What a delight then, to learn that three of the four are with us again, playing with new colleagues under the banner of the Great Outdoors. The album, 'What We Did In Our Holidays' is a tour de force. Sophisticated yet visceral, relentlessly hummable pop - in every positive connotation of the word - and delivered with far more gusto than we have any right to expect from a bunch of men of their - and my (so absolutely no offence intended) - vintage.
There is no relying on past glories here, though; no need for the now somewhat dated novelty of the Casio or the budget drum machine. Rather, the big melodic noise of this band gives Stan's eloquent guitar the room it deserves to shine - and shine it does, providing a worthy foil for Baz's impressive vocals.
At the heart of it though, are the songs themselves, which are quite splendid - literate, emotive, musically adventurous and innately tuneful. (Actually, I have been singing the wistful 'Head in the Clouds' to myself incessantly for over a week now, and other people on my bus are beginning to talk.)
If anything has changed, however, it is the underlying raison d'etre. While the Farmer's Boys reluctance to take themselves too seriously was always endearing, the Great Outdoors appear to have risen above such concerns. They certainly haven't lost their sense of humour, but they appear perhaps a little more comfortable in just doing what they do. And they do it so well - this is an album of great pop music, and sounds like it springs from the band's sheer joy at having been able to make it.
These people could have been the darlings of the 80s, but we opted for Wham! and Duran Duran instead. Don't let's make the same mistake again, people. Make them rich. Make me happy. Make Norfolk hip again.