Profile for K. Simmons > Reviews

Content by K. Simmons

K. Simmons (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Tablet Case Sleeve Soft Cover by USA Gear with Protective Neoprene Padding & Zip Accessories Pocket- Will fit Microsoft Surface Pro 2 (Windows 8 RT , 32GB , 64GB , 128GB , 256GB) , Surface 2 , Surface RT / Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 / Apple iPad Air 2 & More *FITS BOTH Tablet & Type Cover*
Offered by Laptop Kit UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Does not fit the MS surface Pro 3, 5 Mar. 2015
This looks as though it would have been a good product but unfortunately I have a MS surface pro 3, which doesn't fit. I searched for a case for the Pro 3 and this product came up and I unfortunately didn't notice that it's not listed as suitable for the Pro 3 so I have to return it. Some glitch in the Amazon search function I guess.

I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim

4.0 out of 5 stars Not flawless but definitely worth a read if you like thrillers, 8 Feb. 2015
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Kindle Edition)
Overall I would rate this as a good book and I did enjoy it. The plot kept my attention well, particularly towards the end of the book. However, it is quite a long book and there's a lot of storyline in the first third of the book that leaves you thinking the guy really had in mind two novels (or three even) that he has loosely stitched back to back. In creating the background to the main character there is too much detail and too many other characters are brought in. Another thing I didn't like particularly is that the book does come across with a bit of an anti-islamic flavour. In fairness to the author I think he has tried to be fair but I don't think he has been particularly successful and the pro-America bias left a bit of a nasty taste at times. However, I have read plenty of other books that are far worse in that respect. This book is very well written with some intelligent and thought provoking content and a plot that held my attention. There are some "violent" scenes in it that I'd have preferred either omitted or toned down - but maybe that's just me. Also the whole bit with the mirror is just ridiculous - and unnecessary to the plot in my view.

If this author writes another book (apparently this is his first published novel) I will be keen to read it. In terms of hours of reading-enjoyment for money it's very good value as it's quite a long book.

The Norfolk Mystery (The County Guides)
The Norfolk Mystery (The County Guides)

3.0 out of 5 stars The characters were all unbelievable and most of them were annoying too. I suspect they were meant to be, 20 Aug. 2014
This book was described as having "a touch of Sherlock Holmes and a dash of Lord Peter Wimsey" but I honestly feeling this is overselling somewhat. I have read every book by Conan Doyle and by Sayers and this book is definitely not in the same league. The characters were all unbelievable and most of them were annoying too. I suspect they were meant to be. I think the author is perhaps trying to be clever but I think he has only partially succeeded. I managed to get to the end of the book but I'm not sure I'd buy another by the same author. The book is certainly full of obscure and moderately interesting facts but I wouldn't class it in any way as a great read.

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi [Previous Generation]

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my new kindle, 12 Mar. 2013
I had one of original (keyboard) kindles and after about 15 months it died on me (just kept freezing up) so I had to buy a new one. I think once you've had a kindle it's hard to imagine life without! One of the things that had always bugged me about my original kindle was that you can't read it in low light (like in bed or just when everyone else is watching the TV with the lights down) so I was very drawn to the paperwhite. I've had it about a month now and I'm very pleased with it. You can adjust the light level so that it's not too glaring when the ambient light level is low. The light coverage is pretty even. I read a few reviews that said you get an uneven pattern because of the way the light is provided internally. It is true that right at the bottom of the page you can see very slight uneveness - but it's absolutely not a problem at all. The paperwhite kindle is very small and light. I've got a Tuffluv cover for mine (Navaho) that's both functional and attractive. It works so that the kindle automatically turns on when the cover is opened and off when the cover is closed.

Overall I wish my original kindle had not failed because then I wouldn't have had to shell out for a new one. But that said, I'm so pleased with the Paperwhite that maybe it was a good thing after all.

I would definitely recommend this kindle to anyone who loves reading. You've always got a book with you. It never weighs more than a couple of hundred grammes no matter how huge the book you're reading. You can carry a whole library of books with you to suit your mood. And you can read in low light as well as normal light. I do most of my reading at the gym while exercising - and the kindle is ideal for that too. Buy one - it'll revolutionise your life!

Esmeralda
Esmeralda

4.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet!, 4 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Esmeralda (Kindle Edition)
I love the famous Frances Hodgson Burnett children's books "A little Princess", "Little Lord Fauntleroy" and "The Secret Garden" so when I saw this for free download I figured - why not? "Esmerelda" is a bit different in that it isn't a children's book and it's very short and quick to read. It was a pleasant enough read and mildly thought-provoking but nothing more really. I'm glad I read it but I can't imagine I'll read it again whereas I've read the other books a few times (Little Lord Fauntleroy remains my favorite!). If you haven't read the more famous FHB books then I'd recommend them first but this is fine as short stories go.

Quirkology: The Curious Science Of Everyday Lives
Quirkology: The Curious Science Of Everyday Lives

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking wtthout being too deep and meaningful!, 7 Oct. 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It doesn't go into any of the topics in great depth but it gave me a lot to think about and plenty to chat about over dinner! Robert Wiseman writes entertainingly but you can see there is proper research behind a lot of the topics presented. If you like "popular psychology" then you should definitely read this.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars I actually bought mini milk jugs!, 4 Sept. 2012
The 4 stars are for the mini milk jugs - which is what I actually purchased from this seller. The jugs are very small - actually a bit smaller than I really wanted but it is so difficult to judge from a given volume (25ml). I was after the size they use in coffee shops - which must be a bit bigger. Anyway, the little jugs are very cute and serve their purpose well. They arrived quickly and well-packed.

Unfortunately as I didn't purchse an induction mini milkpan I'm afraid I can't help you on that one!

The Venturi Effect
The Venturi Effect

2.0 out of 5 stars A wierd story full of wierd people, 2 April 2012
I bought this book (for kindle) as it came reasonably well-recommended on the Amazon site (only 3 reviews but all 5-star) and I have really struggled to find anything good about it. The whole thing is in such a skewed reality full of people, events, places that are just a carricature of anything that seems remotely realistic. I think the author is trying to make a point about something (religion, fate, faith?)and read doggedly to the end of the book in the hope that all would become clear - but for me it never did. I found myself dislliking all his characters. I seriously hope none of these people really exist - certainly have no desire to meet any of them!

The writing style doesn't help either; the book is full of unnecessarily long sentences. There were quite a few times when I had to go back to the start of the sentence (several lines earlier) to remind myself where it had set out from. I can't remember if this book has the option to download a sample - but if it does then I advise you to try before you buy. I'm reasonably well read and have reasonably eclectic taste but this just book didn't do it for me at all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2013 3:53 PM BST

Emma Bridgewater Union Jack Single Tin Canister
Emma Bridgewater Union Jack Single Tin Canister
Offered by Toys and Interiors

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice tin if you're patriotic, 31 Jan. 2012
I bought this tin for my daughter to go to uni with (her choice!). Emma Bridgewater stuff is always high quality and this is no exception. My daughter really likes it.

Books - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Card
Books - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Card

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent way to give a book gift, 31 Jan. 2012
I gave both my kids amazon vouchers in place of their usual christmas book (it's a family tradition!) and it seemed to go down pretty well. My partner got me an amazon voucher too and I found it ridiculously easy to load up (and spend on books for my lovely kindle!). What more can I say?

Page: 1 | 2