Profile for bomble > Reviews

Content by bomble
Top Reviewer Ranking: 900

bomble "bomble" (Cambridge, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Oxford French-English Visual Dictionary of Animals (Oxford Visual Dictionary)
Oxford French-English Visual Dictionary of Animals (Oxford Visual Dictionary)

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent book and more french vocab than the average zookeeper could possibly need!, 3 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a hit on several fronts in our household. My 7 yearold, like most children, loves natural history and animals in particular - and she's quite keen on learning French as we go to France regularly (we used to live there). So this book can be enjoyed for its fantastic pictures, excellent natural history and science content as well as a vessel for learning vocabulary. Honestly, having worked in French for many years, I never needed to know most of the animal names herein; unless your child is hoping to work in the Parc Zoologique de Paris or similar then they'll be unlikely to find much use for many of the words. But - and here's the fun - learning obscure words seems somehow to capture the imagination of children and often better than the mundane alternatives. For pure joy of learning in a beautifully presented book, very highly recommended.

Frontier: Exploring the Top Ten Emerging Markets of Tomorrow (Bloomberg Financial)
by Gavin Serkin

4.0 out of 5 stars Revealing and educational walk through the countries of the market Frontier, 29 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am neither trader nor, to any significant capacity, an investor but I do like to hear insights into the economies and governances of the world as they can have a massive role to play in our collective future. I admit to having some trepidation that this would be highly technical and rich in investment jargon. How nice it was, therefore, to have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book from start to end and having seldom felt left out through lack of specialist knowledge.

Now that I can see what Gavin Serkin has done with this book it makes a lot more sense. What we have here, in effect, is a travel journal with a slant towards the financial and governmental credentials of the countries featured. It is personal, entertaining and revealing but does not attempt to be a detailed analysis of a market or set of companies. It reveals the pulse of these countries without resorting to complex economic principles. The real added value comes from the insights of the investors that Serkin interviews, getting their personal take on the countries in question as well as some more generic advice (Mark Mobius' heuristics for assessing investment prospects in a given company could be fruitful for many would-be investors).

Of course the bias here is an unashamedly market-growth driven model of development and I am slightly saddened though not particularly shocked to discover how little emphasis is placed on whether investment in a given sector or region is of real lasting benefit to the people living there. Serkin points out the market potential of growth in number of women smokers to tobacco companies and the potential impact of Saudi laws on selective recruiting of Saudis without much thought to the ethics or long-term benefits of either. But that is the reality of the current system and even if you are motivated to see it change, this book will go a long way to helping understand how it could and in what ways these Frontier countries could reshape themselves in the years to come. Very interesting.

Kaspersky Total Security Multi Device 3 Device 1 Year FFP (PC DVD/Mac)
Kaspersky Total Security Multi Device 3 Device 1 Year FFP (PC DVD/Mac)

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete non-starter for Apple products - help wanted if anyone has managed to install on Mac / iPad or iPhone....???, 25 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I selected this product to use on an iPad, an iPhone and an iMac ; I already have internet security products installed on my PC. So you can imagine my frustration that I have not been able to work out how to install it on any of the listed devices. I have followed the link listed in the packaging and found a totally different product awaiting me with no obvious way to install & use the product key. I have found nothing on Kaspersky's site about how to install this on a tablet or smartphone and I am evidently unable to review its capabilities given that it has, so far, proven impossible to get started. I consider myself computer literate and generally pretty good at working out how to do such things - so this is really frustrating. I'd gladly modify my review and include tips on how to install it on Apple products if anyone who has already succeeded can give me any tips!

Carmex Original Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)
Carmex Original Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective petrolatum / lanolin lip glossy lip balm., 21 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I spend time in the outdoors in all weathers - in particular as a cycle commuter - so am always on the lookout for a good lip balm and have tried many of the products on the market. My wife keeps a supply of the Vaseline lip therapy range but I've found that they are overly feminine in colour, flavour and scent for my liking. Carmex with its menthol and camphor tingle is much closer in scent to a toned-down version of Vicks vaporub - which I personally quite like and as it's colourless it's only the glossiness that could make this anything other than a unisex product.

I am a reader of contents labels and this one is rather interesting. It gets a plus point for me for using lanolin - in my opinion a more effective and natural product than petrolatum but note worthy as it's generally avoided by vegans. It also contains salicylic acid - presumably in low concentrations - which has a variety of applications to treating minor skin problems but could also, I suspect, irritate if you have a sensitivity to it and it's best to use a separate sun protection product if you are using a skin product which contains salicylic acid.

In general this is a superior product to the Vaseline Lip therapy range in my estimation and I'll find out just how good it is in the coming winter. The glossiness does put me off from giving it a 5* rating as I have some lip balm sticks (such as the excellent Neutrogena Norwegian Formula lip care) that doesn't result in the shiny lips I get with this but for the price I can certainly recommend it.

TinkSky 20pcs Hair Bows Alligator Clip Grosgrain Ribbon Headbands for Baby,Girls and Young Women-15 Pure Color+5 Polka Dot
Offered by PixnorStore

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, bright and well made, 19 Jun. 2015
I received these hairclips free of charge from the manufacturer for an unbiased review and am considering their value at the current price offered through Amazon.

As the father of a 7-yearold girl, I scored a big hit with these! Not only do you get a wide selection of bright colours and patterns but the clips themselves are very secure and, so far, no signs of the glue giving way. Having looked at the output of the usual accessory displays in high-street children’s fashion shops, these are every bit the quality of items offered at double the price when sold individually. Of course, there will inevitably be some you don’t like as much in a mixed bag like this. Fortunately, they make nice little token presents – for example to add to a party bag for a girly birthday celebration.

My only significant criticism is that these are not really suitable for small children – even with babies I’d suggest close supervision – as the clips are potentially quite sharp and definitely not something I’d want to see find its way into the hands/mouth of a small child or infant.

The clips hold very securely – my daughter delighted in managing to cover my head with them while I tried in vain to shake them off (and I’ve got a grade-2 cropped haircut at the moment!). They are certainly worth the money and shouldn’t disappoint.

Hippychick Toddler Footmuff (Black)
Hippychick Toddler Footmuff (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well considered, offering high quality and functionality without the cost inflation of the pushchair own-brand accessories., 14 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's quite clear from the moment you start to take this footmuff out of the packaging that it is well considered product and the manufacturers have given a lot of thought to how it should work. Our Silver Cross push-chair came with its own footmuff but this one is more versatile and fits into every pushchair model we've tried it with. What impressed me was the little details - for example, the bottom of the the footmuff has a smooth nylon finish so if you're little person has been splashing about in their shoes before being tucked up inside, it won't wear out the cosy fleece lining so much. Next are the interchangeable upper section allowing you to adjust for the weather (though a little part of me wishes that they'd added a second zip so that you could double them up). The styling is smart and classic so it shouldn't look out of place in most pushchair models and the extrerior pocket is a useful addition.

Pricewise, it comes in well below some of the big name pushchair own-labels and offers a lot more versatility although you can get a basic fleece lined footmuff for quite a lot less than this. I'd say it hits the right balance between quality, styling and functionality against price and given that it is fully machine washable and fits in all sorts of pushchair designs it should have a reasonable second-hand value if you want to pass it on when the little one is bigger! It would also, therefore, make a lovely gift as there's nothing about the colour or styling that is likely to be unwanted. Very good.

High Quality Julienne Peeler & Vegetable Peeler ✮ Ultra Sharp Stainless Steel Dual Blades
Offered by Sabah Trading

4.0 out of 5 stars Very effective and well made kitchen accessory, 11 Jun. 2015
I received this product from the manufacturer for an unbiased review. I am reviewing it against the current price offered by Amazon.

There are countless peelers and Julienne cutters on the market but having tried out all the permutations and run it through a dishwasher a couple of times, I am confident that this one deserves to be well recommended at the price point. If it’s a simple peeler you want then, personally, I’d recommend the kind in which the blades run parallel with the handle but this is a whole lot more than that. It is very sharp and in stainless steel has a clinical instrument kind of quality.

The handle is comfortable and the brushed steel grips well enough whilst being easy to clean. Once you get the hang of holding it in the right angle for each given application, it makes light work of Julienne cutting. I’ve got fairly reasonable home-cookery knife skills and have done Julienne vegetables with a chef’s knife but I won’t be wasting my time with that again when this is so effective.

As I said before, for straight-forward peeling I prefer the configuration of in-line peelers but for making more elaborate dishes and as a spare for conventional peeling I can certainly find a place for this in my kitchen drawer. So far, the quality appears as high as the best of what I’ve seen in the well-known brands sold on the high-street.

Taylors of Harrogate Espresso Coffee Capsules Nespresso Compatible Brazilian Yellow Bourbon (Pack of 6, Total 60 Capsules)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, pleasing coffee but not spectacular, 10 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried many of the Nespresso range and several of the third party pods for the machine and found this to in the top tier but not amongst the very best on offer. To my taste it was a surprisingly smooth and rounded coffee given the 10 strength rating; pleasant, easy drinking but lacking the punch and nuttiness of some of the Nespresso range. All said, I am not the biggest fan of Nespresso pod coffee compared to ground coffee and a good espresso machine but I offered pods around to my workmates and found that we all had much the same response - a good quality but not exceptionally memorable blend. Given that I have been really impressed by some of the Taylors of Harrogate ground coffee (and teas for that matter) I think they could have done something a bit more noticeable with their Nespresso compatible pods but they are made to a high quality and shouldn't cause your machine any problems and, price wise, come in a bit cheaper than some of the premium Nespresso lines, so well worth a taste as an alternative.

Nescafé Dolce Gusto Grande Mild 16 Capsules (Pack of 3, Total 48 Capsules, 48 servings)

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife's favourite of the Nescafe DG range, 4 Jun. 2015
I'm not really the coffee drinker in the house - and when I do I prefer the Barista espresso pods for the Dolce Gusto machine - but my wife loves these as they make a nice rich long coffee without much bitterness and so with a splash of milk she's happy to drink it without sugar. A firm favourite amongst the Nescafe DG range.

Petit by Sofie Schnoor Girls Indoor shoe-pantent Slipper Black Black Size: 13
Petit by Sofie Schnoor Girls Indoor shoe-pantent Slipper Black Black Size: 13

3.0 out of 5 stars Prefer the ruby ones, 4 Jun. 2015
The patent leather finish proved too wrinkly and not to my daughters taste so we returned these and bought the ruby coloured ones which she loves.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20