Profile for bomble > Reviews

Content by bomble
Top Reviewer Ranking: 874

bomble "bomble" (Cambridge, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Apexel 180 Degree Fish Eye Lens + Wide Angle Lens + Micro Lens Kit for iPhone 4 4S 4G 5 5G 5S 5C 6 Plus Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 S3 I9300 S4 I9500 S5 S6 Note I9220 Note2 N7100 Note3 Note 4 mini i8190 S7562 HTC LG Black (No Dark Circle by the Fisheye Lens)
Offered by Tech Leader

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile and fun - macro lens particularly effective, 16 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tried these lenses out on an LG and iPhone and found that they did a good job of adjusting the optics for interesting effect. The come conveniently packed in a tough little zip case and then clip securely over the phone as shown in the photos. I worry a little about the durability of the clip itself as I would imagine the plastic is under some strain in use but the lenses are of an impressive quality given the price and the macro lens worked particularly well with the LG, resolving the fibres in paper from just a couple of centimeters away.

At the price I was expecting a bit of novelty but they have delivered more than that - by no means converting your phone into a dslr but offering some noticeable optical effects that could help you take some fun photos at a very reasonable price.

Osomount 360 Grip Universal in Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6/ 6 Plus / 5S /5C /4/4S Samsung Galaxy S5 /S4 /S3 / Note 4/3 & Other Smartphones - Black (Flex 360 Black)
Offered by Zero 50 Retail Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Best universal mount I've tried, 16 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've had a universal in-car mount of a similar design for some time now and can attest to how useful this kind of stretch grip can be holding phones or satnavs steadily. This one has a slimmer body and an extra degree of freedom of movement so it not only takes up less visual field on your window as well as less physical space, but it can also be used 'sideways' with respect to many on the market. The suction is excellent and seems to cope well with changes of temperature inside and outside the car and the overall result is a holder that I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone in the market for one.

Creative Schools: Revolutionizing Education from the Ground Up
Creative Schools: Revolutionizing Education from the Ground Up
by Ken Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, readable and meaningful - certainly not just for education professionals, 13 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ken Robinson’s 2006 TED talk is something of an internet sensation with over 33 million views to date and that alone might be enough reason to take a closer look at his book. Though by that justification we should all want to hear everything that Psy (Gangnam Style) has produced and hence popularity might not be the only metric! I wasn’t one of the 33 million who’d watched this particular TED talk before reading this book but now that I have read the book and also watched the video I can confirm that it is a lucid and wonderfully written continuation of the themes Robinson so entertainingly introduces in the TED video. Discussion of education is so often divided along political lines with, in recent years, the standards movement with their focus on testing and metrics pushing full steam ahead while parents, teachers and kids struggle to fit into the tight constraints that such a system imposes. Robinson puts the counter argument brilliantly, explaining both through research findings and anecdotal accounts why such a focus is so damaging and is a form of theft from the futures of our children. But I'd say that Robinson's incisive look at the UK & US education systems is actually a focus on a microcosm of what appears true about our society as a whole; the stifling of creativity may begin with an industrial-mechanical approach to education but it continues through all the structures of our society and we will continue to pay for this imbalance with our physical health, our psychological well-being and our cultural vigour.

In my own dealings with schools, I will certainly draw on what Robinson lays out herein. He talks about involving the parents and their skill sets more intrinsically in the school system and as I enjoy being part of that process (my job is an easy-sell for teachers who generally welcome my input) I will take note of what he describes. Ultimately, we all have a stake in education and it's about time more parents, teachers, academics, policy makers and students themselves embraced the opportunity of a more creative, more productive and more plural approach to bringing our children into adulthood and their wider society. Really excellent stuff.

Loom Mega Value Pack ★ 4800 Latex, Lead & Phthalates Free Silicone Bands with Fruity Scent ★ 3 Hooks + 5 Free Charms, Tons of S & C Clips, ★ 15 Lovely Clear Colors ★ Specials: Extra Black & White, Tie Dye, Silver, Copper. ★ 100 % Compatible with All Other Rubber Band brands ★ Top Quality ★ 100% Money Back Satisfaction Guarantee

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, fantastic colours, accessories of limited appeal (to me at least!) - big success with my 7 yearold girl!, 13 May 2015
My seven year-old daughter like many her age has been a fan of this kind of band product since it became a craze some time ago. She is delighted with this bag for its huge quantity of bands, vibrant colours and accessories and having compared the quality of the bands with the market leader, I couldn’t discern any noticeable difference. Not only does this offer her hours of crafty fun, it also means she can share them with her friends without us worrying about her running out anytime soon. Personally, I don’t think the accessories add that much to the overall product but at the price asked I’d say it offers very good value for money and if she ever runs out of bands I shall be happy to replace with this product again.

Crossfit Skipping Rope - Includes FREE Skip Circuit Full Body Workout - Black Long 9ft Speed Jump Rope for Fitness - Boxing MMA Workout - Best Professional Rope - Great for Exercise - For Men & Woman - Improve strength & stamina - Lifetime Guarantee
Offered by Roboshop Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars The best skipping rope out of the 10 or so different varieties I've tried., 13 May 2015
I received this skipping rope free of charge from the manufacturer for an unbiased review.
That said I would happily pay the asking price for what has proven to be the best skipping rope I’ve used, including compared with another of a similar design (plasticised wire) which is owned by one of my training partners.
I completely missed out on learning to skip as a child but in the last few years I’ve been training regularly with people with a martial arts background for whom skipping was second nature. So I learned to skip about two years ago and since then I’ve tried most kinds of skipping ropes from the flexible plastic tubing kind to rope to leather chord. My favourite kind was of a similar design to this one, but this betters it in a few subtle but noticeable ways.
So if you’ve never used a wire skipping rope, please note that contrary to what is said in some other reviews, you really can hurt yourself if you’re not careful. The cable can move very fast through the air (due to a high mass-to-surface-area ratio for the geeks like me!) and having a narrow gauge it can give you a serious welt if catch it badly. You’re particularly at risk if training bare-foot as you can readily catch your toes or ankles with it depending on whether you are skipping forwards or reverse. On this count, this rope is less painful and less dangerous than the other wire rope that my training partner owns as its slightly thicker and the plastic layer also seems thicker.
I have no intention of cutting the rope as I will be using it with the people I train with - men and women ranging from 1.5m to 2m in height (5ft to 6ft6 in old money). If you want to cut it to length, it should be easy enough to do so but having used it in a circuit class today with someone much smaller than me, we managed to swap over and adjust the length of the rope in just a few seconds.
The handles feel well balanced and a comfortable size, the adjuster screws don’t slide and the overall look of the product is of high quality and offers excellent value especially at Amazon’s current price offering. Being so light, it will make an ideal training tool for travel (I can see myself using it as an improvised washing line once I’ve washed out my training kit too!) so if you like to keep fit whilst away from home, this could be very useful and won’t add much to your luggage. I have registered for the training workout download but haven’t given it a try yet – given how many skipping-based workouts you can find in the public domain I think this is just a nice way to add a little value to the product and gather your email address – but I appreciate the gesture. Overall an excellent skipping rope for serious (and careful!) use.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2015 8:28 AM BST

Foxnovo® FP10 10400mAh Lithium Polymer Ultra-thin Aluminum Alloy Dual-Port Backup External Battery Chargers Power Bank Charger for iPhone 6, 5S 5, 4S 4, iPod, iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad 4 3 2, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 Note 4 Note 3 Tab 2, Sony, HTC, Blackberry and Most USB Devices (Silver)
Offered by FoxnovoStore

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance, great accessory cable and overall great value, 3 May 2015
I received this product free of charge from the manufacturer for an unbiased review.

I have tested and reviewed several battery packs recently including products in the same rated capacity from TPlink and PowerAdd and others from Peeble etc. My usual tests for batteries of this capacity is to perform several charge-discharge cycles using different devices and test them as a power-supply for a device in use. In this case I have found that this battery is capable of about 1.5 charges of a tablet,multiple charges of smartphone and allowed me to power my blackberry for an 8 hour call on speakerphone for my work. Moreover, the battery itself is more compact and easier to carry in a pocket than any other 10000mAh battery I have tried. While it lacks the led lamp function that many batteries now come with, it does have a very useful usb to multi-format charge cable which has several common outputs including micro USB and Apple lightning. This alone could cost you a similar sum as a replacement cable from Apple so to get it with a highly competent battery and a good quality storage bag makes the whole product excellent value. With its able performance, pleasing design and practical cables it has become my first choice in travel battery pack.

AmiGami Unicorn and Crimper Set
AmiGami Unicorn and Crimper Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Ami Gami collection grows - and now with crimper!, 10 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have already reviewed several Ami Gami sets including AmiGami Monkey Figure, AmiGami Bird Figure and AmiGami Fox and Owl Figure 2-Pack, which my 7 year-old is now collecting. As she'd really enjoyed them all, I gave her this set which she was able to construct solo without problem. As with the others, the concept is fun, imaginative, a bit fiddly and (unless your child is particularly motivated). She has really taken to them. Unlike the other sets which included a tool for twirling the card strips, this one has an additional crimper (which of course works on the other kits too). What you end up with is a lightly crinkled strip rather than a tightly crimped look but it's another nice element albeit at an increased price point.

Once built, these toys are too fragile to be played with much so the product line is definitely targeting those who like the decorative arts but there are some structural and spatial reasoning aspects to getting the patterns to stack as you wish and selecting the correct clips to hold it all together so it's well considered altoghether. The price is fairly high for an ornamental toy but having seen how much is charged for figurines etc. these have a bit more interactivity.

My daughter thinks these are beautiful and was delighted to receive more of them it so that's the final judgement! The collection grows...

Trigger Point Performance Grid STK Hand-Held Foam Roller - Orange
Trigger Point Performance Grid STK Hand-Held Foam Roller - Orange

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly effective substitute for a body-weight foam roller., 1 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I train regularly and use a foam roller at my company gym two or three times a week. I wasn't particularly optimistic about how well this Hand-Held roller would work given that it lacks the force of my bodyweight but it is actually surprisingly effective and a very good substitute if you want something more compact or to use without having to be able to stretch out on a floor.

The build quality is very high - it's got nicely shaped handles, a smooth rolling action and the textured foam surface is just the right density for reaching the tension areas. I'm not going to claim any pseudoscience about how effective this or any of the myofascial release methods are but I can, hand on heart, say that foam rolling including this STK hand-held roller have helped me continue to train with fewer injuries than in the past and I am glad that I now have one of these to keep near the sofa at home to carry on working out those tension points long after I have left the gym behind.

True Mountain - Stretch Sportwool Baselayer - Mens
True Mountain - Stretch Sportwool Baselayer - Mens
Offered by True Mountain

5.0 out of 5 stars A winning formula proudly carrying the Made in the UK label, 29 Mar. 2015
True Mountain came to my attention recently via an outdoors website that featured some of their products at the OutDoor Show 2014 in Friedrichshafen. I was interested to try their product line as they are a small UK brand taking the `Made in the UK' label seriously and seemed to be using some very interesting fabric choices with the UK climate & user in mind.

I was provided with a sample of the Stretch Sportwool Baselayer by the manufacturer for an unbiased review and have been using it almost daily since late January. I am slightly embarrassed to admit that I have a bit of a fetish for good baselayer with a wide range of products from leading mountain brands and various materials (polypropylene, nylon, merino wool, polyester & mixes of the above) - so to say that I've been using this all winter is testament in itself of how much I like this top! I have used it on its own or under a windproof for winter off-road running (temps down to about -6C during that cold spell in February), layered as a midlayer for my daily cycle commute and most recently for some hiking in Mallorca's Serra de Tramuntana mountains. It's survived at least a dozen runs through the washing machine unscathed, drying much quicker than a pure merino baselayer. If you just want to know the bottom line, I love it! For a bit more detail on why... read on...

The top is made from two materials - "Danish made 215gm/m2 Sportwool fabric ( 61% Polyester / 36% Merino Wool, 3% Elastane )" in the front, back and outer face of the arms with "UK produced Meryl / Elastane stretch side panels" that run along the underside of the arms, down the armpits and in a strip along the sides of the torso. This is an inspired combination as the Meryl wicks very well and has a low-friction surface so as the faces pass one another (under-arm to torso in running , hiking, climbing...) they don't snag or bunch up. Meryl is very similar to the Supplex nylon/lycra mix that I've used for many years in competition rowing clothing so I know that as well as performing well it outlasts polyester equivalents keeping its stretchiness through many uses & wash cycles. Meanwhile the Sportwool is a technical fibre mix with a brushed interior and smooth outer face, trapping extra air for insulation, wicking and soaking moisture up off the skin (or from lighter baselayer underneath). It has done a good job of avoiding the dreaded baselayer pong and with a smooth outer face it layers well under a microfleece or softshell without restricting your movement.

The cut is long in the body with long sleeves so you can use the thumb holes if that's your preference. As I've mostly been wearing this for cycling, I've not used the thumb loops much as they don't pair well with padded cycling gloves but for running & climbing they work well and there's enough stretch in the fabrics for them not to pull much on your hand as you reach out. The thumb loops are of the `unstitched seam' design so if you don't use them then the sleeves are unaffected. I am 42" chest, 15.5" neck, 34" waist with an unusually long body. I found the large to be a good midlayer fit but I could probably drop to a medium if I wanted it solely as a closer fitting baselayer. My only criticism of the cut is that the neck hole is on the large side; for this warmer midlayer/baselayer style I prefer a zipped collar with half-length zip from chin to sternum. I have got around this by pairing with a neck tube (Gore Windstopper buff).

In summary, I am really taken with this Sportwool Stretch Top. I think it is much better value than many of the big-brand equivalents despite their far-east manufacturing and the manufacture quality is very high with not a single missed or over-sewn stitch on the flat-lock seams. It fits me better than many of the French/Swiss/Italian designed baselayer which don't suit my solid frame and is also much less boxy than the US designed baselayer which tend to be either overly skintight (the Underarmour fashion) or cut for a high BMI population! Well done True Mountain - I can wholeheartedly recommend this to my friends in the outdoors.

Field Punishment No.1 [DVD]
Field Punishment No.1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fraser Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and memorable tale of 14 much-maligned conscientious objectors., 29 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Field Punishment No.1 [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I write this review with the credits rolling from an utterly compelling and passionately made film about 14 WWI conscientious objectors from NZ whose tale must not be forgotten. As a human story of courage and conviction it is extremely well told - the acting skillful; the filming and production of very high quality given that, as I understand, this was not made for cinematic release. Understanding the limitations of a TV movie, I felt genuinely moved by the story and in particular the acting of Fraser Brown as Archie Baxter. OK - so in a 90 minute film we can't hope to understand the full historical implications and direction of the film takes a few shortcuts via caricature representations of hectoring officers but the message is there to be seen. In particular, the moment when Archie is trying to explain his position to a young private and the sergeant nearby says his troops need their morale maintained highlights one of the many reasons why such objectors caused made their governments so uncomfortable.

Technically, there were some moments when the sound track was substandard - a few passages where the dialogue was unclear or had been so evidently recorded in a studio that the small-room acoustic sounded quite wrong in the tented setting - but these can be forgiven in what is otherwise an extremely well made film that had such an important message to convey. While Hollywood seemingly salutes every military campaign they can remix into jingoistic ends, kudos to these NZ film makers who give us such a potent alternative viewpoint.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20