Profile for bomble > Reviews

Content by bomble
Top Reviewer Ranking: 731

bomble "bomble" (Cambridge, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Revlon Grow Luscious Plumping Mascara - 10 ml, Black
Revlon Grow Luscious Plumping Mascara - 10 ml, Black
Offered by Tiger Lilley Cosmetics

5.0 out of 5 stars The best mascara my wife has used, 1 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although she usually opts for the waterproof variety from Rimmel, my wife is now a total convert to this Revlon Mascara which, if I may add objectively, makes her look particularly lovely!

She reports that it is easy to apply, wasn't clumpy, added lots of volume to her lashes and she concurred with the 'plumping' product description. It didn't smudge and she had no problems with it for extended use. As it's not in the waterproof category, it evidently came off more easily.

This is now her first choice mascara. No higher praise.

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Manual Razor Starter Kit with Flexball Technology--Pack of 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Very close shave but replace blades are costly and lacking a case, 1 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have sensitive skin and have tried all sorts of razors, electric shavers and different shaving products to achieve a close shave without irritation. Safe to say, then that I am impressed by how close and trouble-free I find it to be shaving with this razor. With all those blades, there's minimal chance of dragging out a beard hair but the downside is that the head is fairly wide and so doesn't contour under the neck as well as some slimmer razors. The flexball does seem to help compensate for this and after several shaves the blades are still very sharp. Which leads me to the general value of the Fusion Proglide range - a pack of four blades costs almost as much as this starter set (which actually has five blades) so you are almost getting the razor 'free of charge'. That doesn't seem bad until you consider how much the blades cost; at about £3 a blade they are asking a lot for the incremental improvement over the nearly-as-good range below. Moreover, every Gillette razor I have owned since I started to shave maybe 22 years ago came with some kind of case to stop the razor catching on other things in my washbag or keep it tidily in the bathroom. I'm surprised that Gillette didn't include one with this.

Overall an excellent shave at a premium price. Recommended but not the best value option out there.

VETRA Swim Mask SPIRIT Goggles Anti-Fog UV Protection Shilded Silicon Swimming Diving Scuba Pool Ocean Water Sports Masks Clear Lens Wide Vision Swimming Goggle Scratch Resistant 180-degree Visibility New (Purple)
Offered by Sport-Items

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made, comfortable goggles offering great underwater vision but won't fit all face shapes, 1 Mar. 2015
I have received these goggles free of charge from the manufacturer for an unbiased review.

Being an occasional swimmer I was interested in a pair of goggles that offered maximum visibility over, say, drag considerations of a speed swimmer. I have many friends who participate in open water triathlon and they suggested that this kind of hybrid between goggles and a full scuba mask was a great option being versatile for a variety of uses. Before Vetra offered me a pair of these, I had been looking at some of the competitors (my daughter uses something very similar from Zog).

I can safely say that while Vetra may not have the widespread brand recognition of others, they make their goggles to much the same high quality as the leading brands. In my case, I was able to adjust these for a comfortable watertight fit though they are evidently shaped to suit a wider, flatter face so are probably not suitable for people with narrower, more angular features. In fact, I lent them to a friend (on of the tri-athletes mentioned above) and he couldn't get a decent seal with them so despite finding them to be well made, he wouldn't have bought them.

The adjustments are very tidy with a little button to press to release and are tightened with a gentle pull. The lenses never fogged up and I found I could see extremely well both ahead and in the periphery. As I'm not torpedo, I couldn't say I noticed any issues of drag but I imagine a fast pool swimmer might find these bulky but I am confident that they will serve me well in the sea or other open-water situations and am very happy with them.

Price-wise, they are on a par with or slightly less expensive than similar triathlon / open water models so it really comes down to fit and styling. Well done Vetra for providing a quality alternative to the better known brands.

Nutrifiz Wheatgrass Effervescent Tablets - Pack of 20
Nutrifiz Wheatgrass Effervescent Tablets - Pack of 20

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant full spectrum multi vit and mineral supplement but wheatgrass benefits unproven and quite pricey, 28 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Given that there are few substantiated claims about wheatgrass - and most of the anecdotal advice speaks of the freshly pressed juice rather than a concentrated extract, I leave it entirely up to you whether it is beneficial or just hype. However, what you do have here is s full spectrum multivitamin and mineral drink that contains 100 percent of the recommended daily allowances of most of the usual suspects. Moreover, it is delivered as a lemony grassy green drink that, up until the chalky dregs at the bottom, is really quite pleasant and certainly less adulterated than many so called vitamin drinks on the market.

In my own case, I live an active lifestyle, getting quite a lot more exercise than the average office worker - and I prefer a meat free diet most of the time - so I am happy to take a daily catch-all supplement like this to ensure that I am not slipping into deficiency of any of these vits and mins. I'd be happy to make Nutrifiz that supplement if it wasn't priced well above the equivalent full spectrum supplement pills. For example, my usual brand costs me less than ten times less per day and having compared ingredients and doses side by side there's not much in it if you don't have much faith in wheatgrass supplement over, say, a few good helpings of green veg and fruit.

It's a nice product but unless the price comes down or they offer it in a bulk value deal, I doubt I'll be buying more.

The Death's Head Chess Club
The Death's Head Chess Club
by John Donoghue

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable story within an unforgettable chapter of history, 28 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It doesn't happen very often but it is one of my life's real treats when I am privileged to `discover' a book which came to me with no pre-conceived expectation (friendly recommendation, publicity hype...) and which then proved to be truly outstanding. John Donoghue's `The Death's Head Chess Club' is one of those gems. So I'm sorry if, by reviewing it, I steal a little of the magic of an unexpected treat - but if in return you choose to read it and get even a little of what I gained from its pages then I will feel vindicated for giving it the 5 stars it so thoroughly deserves.

I have read quite a number of books - memoirs, historical accounts and fictionalised histories - pertaining to the Holocaust and Auschwitz. I've also visited Dachau and the Anne Frank memorial house in Amsterdam and seen the harrowing footage compiled when the camps were liberated. It's fair to say, then, that I was prepared for the horrors that this author would have to navigate, and that I quite frequently seek to be reminded and educated about this darkest of chapters in human history. Most recently, I read in the last 12 months Otto Dov Kulka's stunning Landscapes of the Metropolis of Death , Belinda Seaward's skilful novel The Beautiful Truth and Markus Zusak's best selling The Book Thief. But I can safely say that John Donoghue has produced one of my favourites of the genre - I certainly prefer it to the (still excellent) Book Thief for example.

The writing is economical, clear, powerful and gripping but it is not for the skilled use of language that this book will be remembered but for the carefully woven narrative, fully fleshed-out characterisation and, ultimately, the extraordinary message of reconciliation, forgiveness and friendship that Donoghue sets against such abysmal circumstances. It comes as no surprise that John Donoghue has worked as a mental health professional as his understanding of human motivations and the unseen scars of mental trauma have shaped his story profoundly. When apartheid came to an end in South Africa and, under Mandela's inspirational leadership, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission understood the almost unprecedented use of restorative justice. I wondered what effect it might have had if it had been put to use in the Nuremberg Trials. This novel puts faces and personalities to that conjecture. It also brings great life to the game of chess - an area where my knowledge is much less developed - but as an arena to tell a greater story it is used to excellent effect.

While the historical facts of Auschwitz are more than many readers will wish to expose themselves too, and the harshness of the violence and language used puts this firmly in the category of adult readership, this is one of the most uplifting and memorable books I've encountered in some time and I will be insisting that my friends and family find it in their hands.

TaoTronics® Pet UV Urine Detector Flashlight / Blacklight
TaoTronics® Pet UV Urine Detector Flashlight / Blacklight
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and helps you see like a bee!, 27 Feb. 2015
I received this product free of charge from the manufacturer for an unbiased review. After comment from the manufacturer that the price was yet to be determined, I will focus entirely on functionality and return to the review the value for money once the price is finalised.

So, that disclaimer out of the way, I have another one. I've been a UV light fanatic since my teens - fluorescence and phosphorescence will not cease to keep me entertained any time soon. I have owned several UV sources over the years though none as compact as this. If you are considering buying this as a pet urine detector, then I can confirm that it does help you find hidden stains but it could open up your eyes to a world of wonders, hidden signs and stunning colours that are otherwise hidden. A quick wander round my garden at night showed up all sorts of fluorescent fungi that would otherwise be drab and unnoticed. Whether these colourings are deliberate in the evolutionary sense or just a chance biproduct of their chemical makeup I do not know but it's clear that the life forms on this earth that can see UV frequencies have access to a totally different perspective. Look up kestrel UV sight for instance to marvel at how a bird can spot the urine trails of moles and other rodents in the fields!

Back to the product. It's well made with a simple on-off switch and batteries included. It delivers an even beam of UV spectrum with visible light in the violet range which has enough power to show up fluorescent materials in daylight but works best in reduced light. I've limited my use for eye safety but I am confident that with current LED technology you should get many hours out of a set of batteries. The casing is a machined aluminium that should take a few knocks but I've owned many higher-quality LED torches for biking and hiking so can tell that the finish on this one isn't of the very highest quality. More than good enough for most domestic uses, however.

The UV spectrum provided isn't far from the visible spectrum and there's plenty of visible light so you don't get the full blacklight effect (of fluorescence from apparent darkness) but for checking bank notes, exploring botany (if only there were scorpions to hunt in the shires....!) finding pet urine and even hunting for rat runs in a dark loft (yes - I've been fighting to get rid of them!) I can happily recommend this device and hope that TaoTronics price it for the mass market as it's an eye-opening experience that my 7 yearold loves (in small doses of course!).

Philips Sonicare HX9331/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush White
Philips Sonicare HX9331/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush White

3.0 out of 5 stars Well considered up-market toothbrush with a few flaws and a hefty pricetag, 23 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used the upper-end models from Braun and Omron in the past and consider the Braun Oral-B Pro models to be my benchmark; in some ways this Philips HX9331 squares up well - in other ways less so.

Firstly, the overall product design is excellent. Charging via micro USB is fast becoming a standard for all smaller electrical devices and as both the travel case and cup base act as induction charging stations, you will have multiple charging options worldwide either using shaver points, PCs or mains-to-usb adaptors. The toothbrush looks sleek and well built and carries the hallmarks of an up-market product.

However... in use, the first thing you realise is how noisy the device is with the brushing head not fitting flush with the power unit. The noise stems from the high frequency oscillations of the brush which I immediately found slightly unpleasant in my mouth as it caused my lips to tingle and my teeth to feel almost assaulted. I found the sensitive setting to be an improvement but cycling between modes whilst using the brush isn't easy as you can't see the selected setting whilst you hold it and, if you remove it from your mouth whilst its running, you risk spraying toothpaste and worse all around your bathroom. I've never had this problem with the rotary heads I use in my Braun brush.

After some uses, I got better at managing the brush to avoid being bothered by the stray vibrations when the back of the head bumped against a tooth. And in the final analysis, this does clean your teeth extremely well - as well as anything I've tried and better than almost all.

In general I have a high degree of trust in Philips products and I am impressed by the product design and facility of charging but can't help feeling that they are asking a lot of money for a toothbrush that won't suit all tastes by any means and, if you have sensitive teeth, may well prove just too powerful.

AmiGami Monkey Figure
AmiGami Monkey Figure

4.0 out of 5 stars Our AmiGami menagerie is growing..., 19 Feb. 2015
This review is from: AmiGami Monkey Figure (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have already reviewed the AmiGami Bird Figure and AmiGami Fox and Owl Figure 2-Pack. As she'd really enjoyed them both, I gave her this set which she was able to construct solo without problem. As with the others, the concept is fun, imaginative, a bit fiddly and (unless your child is particularly motivated) unlikely to give hours of pleasure rebuilding. However, the double-pack Fox & Owl is great as there are many more permutations for mixing and matching, growing exponentially if you already have another AmiGami kit spare as we now do. The Monkey is great fun but doesn't mix and match as well with the bird / owl / fox set we already have due to the colour scheme.

Once built, these toys are too fragile to be played with much so the product line is definitely targeting those who like the decorative arts but there are some structural and spatial reasoning aspects to getting the patterns to stack as you wish and selecting the correct clips to hold it all together so it's well considered altoghether. The price is fairly high for an ornamental toy but having seen how much is charged for figurines etc. these have a bit more interactivity.

Personally, I prefer proper origami, from which many of the stylistic elements and patterns have been derived. I am delighted to say that after playing with these AmiGami sets, my daughter asked me to teach her some origami (we are midway through making a rhino!). Either way, my daughter thinks these are beautiful and was delighted to receive more of them it so that's the final judgement! I see a collection starting...

AmiGami Fox and Owl Figures
AmiGami Fox and Owl Figures

4.0 out of 5 stars Buying two together is more than just double the fun, 17 Feb. 2015
This review is from: AmiGami Fox and Owl Figures (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have already reviewed the AmiGami Bird Figure which I helped my 7 year-old to build. As she'd really enjoyed it, I gave her this set of two which she was able to construct solo without problem. As with the bird, the concept is fun, imaginative, a bit fiddly and (unless your child is particularly motivated) unlikely to give hours of pleasure rebuilding. However, the double-pack option is great as there are many more permutations for mixing and matching, growing exponentially if you already have another AmiGami kit spare as we do.

AmiGami Bird Figure
AmiGami Bird Figure

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice aesthetic, fun to build but perhaps not much more than a decorative item in the longer term., 12 Feb. 2015
This review is from: AmiGami Bird Figure (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I spent a happy half hour with my 7 year-old helping her put this AmiGami together - she would have managed fine without me but the box said 8+ so I felt obliged to be there ;). Verdict? Fun, imaginative, a bit fiddly and (unless your child is particularly motivated) unlikely to give hours of pleasure rebuilding. I'm expecting my daughter to try a few different configurations before eventually putting it up on a shelf for a nice bit of decoration.

Once built, it's too fragile to be played with as much of a toy so is definitely targeting those who like the decorative arts but there are some structural and spatial reasoning aspects to getting the patterns to stack as you wish and selecting the correct clips to hold it all together so it's a well considered toy.

Personally, I prefer proper origami, from which many of the stylistic elements and patterns have been derived. But if this little bird gets your child interested in Japanese paper arts then all the better. Either way, my daughter thinks it's beautiful and was delighted to receive it so that's the final judgement!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20