Profile for Marie Brown > Reviews

Content by Marie Brown

Marie Brown

Triumph Beret in Luxury Bamboo by Cardani® - Hat for Fashion, Cancer, Chemo - Head Covering for Wome

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer elegance!, 14 Nov. 2016
This was a present for my sister in law and she loves it. Well fitting and very smart.

Battery Motion Light, KooPower 10 LED [ULTRA BRIGHT] Wireless PIR Sensor Stick Anywhere Night Light for Indoor use (Hallway Cabinet, Drawer, etc)

5.0 out of 5 stars Light in dark places!, 9 Nov. 2015
It does the job admirably so far and I'm very pleased with it. No more juggling with pen, pad and torch when reading the meter under the stairs!

My Lancashire Childhood
My Lancashire Childhood
by Catherine Rothwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories revived, 4 Dec. 2014
Catherine Rothwell's account of her Lancashire childhood is an absolute joy to read. Her impeccable command of the English language is second to none. Her descriptive passages on the pursuits of a child of the thirties and forties evoked in me long-forgotten memories of my own Lancashire childhood. I walked again across flower laden meadows; smelled again the scent of the many grasses swaying in a balmy breeze; I heard again the singing of a skylark in a cloudless blue sky. I particularly enjoyed reading her account of her first job and the attitude of her employers to their staff, which was similar to my own experience, and which I am sure would not be tolerated today. A transport of sheer delight from beginning to end. Do read the book: it is a gem.

Verdi: Messa Da Requiem - Sony Classical Masters
Verdi: Messa Da Requiem - Sony Classical Masters

1.0 out of 5 stars Verdi Requiem on CD, 2 Jun. 2012
I am disappointed with this CD. Whilst making all allowance for the age of the recording, and for the restricted recording techniques of that period, there are still numerous places where enjoyment of the music is negated by various faults. One fault is the musical balance, which varies enormously. In some places, the orchestra swamps the voices, but in others, the voices (includig solos) become unpleasantly prominent. Another fault has to do with the dynamic range of specific sections of the music, where, for example, the chorus starts quietly, swells to a climax, and then subsides again. This is a perfectly usual musical "shape", but on this CD it is badly overdone. The quiet parts are fine, but the loud part us grossly exaggerated, reaching an almost painful intensity, coupled with a coarsening of the vocal sound. It seems to me that these two faults are present in varying degrees throughout the whole work. Whether they are in the original recording, or whether (as I suspect) they are the result of some editing or re-recording technique, the fact remains that they are a major distraction, and therefore prevent any real enjoyment or satisfaction being experienced by the listener. A pity! - because Solti was a master of his art, and I feel certain that this recording gives nowhere near a true impression of the music that he actually produced at the time.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2017 8:10 PM GMT

How to Be a Gardener: Secrets of Success (Book Two)
How to Be a Gardener: Secrets of Success (Book Two)
by Alan Titchmarsh

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspiring Book, 6 May 2011
If you are very much a novice gardener like me, this is the book for you. Alan Titchmarch is the best. He is down to earth (excuse the pun!) in his very clear and concise instructions. I feel much more confident now with Alan metaphorically looking over my shoulder and urging me on. There are some beautiful photographs throughout the publication, which have given me the incentive to persevere. This book, together with his "Perennial Garden Plants" in the How to Garden Series are my gardening bibles from now on. If you buy it, you won't be disappointed.

Alan Titchmarsh How to Garden: Perennial Garden Plants
Alan Titchmarsh How to Garden: Perennial Garden Plants
by Alan Titchmarsh

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book, 6 May 2011
If you are very much an amateur gardener like me, this is the book for you. Alan Titchmarch is the best. He is down to earth (excuse the pun!) in his very clear and concise instructions. I feel much more confident now with Alan metaphorically looking over my shoulder and urging me on. There are some beautiful photographs throughout the publication, which have given me the incentive to persevere. This book, together with his "How to be a Gardener Book Two" are my gardening bibles from now on. If you buy it, you won't be disappointed.

Food from Your Garden ~ All you need to know to Grow, Cook and Preserve your own Fruit and Vegetables
by Reader's Digest

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love growing & cooking your own food, you'll love this book., 18 Mar. 2011
This book was highly recommended to me by a keen gardener friend, who grows all her own fruit and vegetables. I myself am very new to serious gardening, and needed a basic and instructive reference book. The book fulfils all my requirements in that it clearly explains all aspects of growing fruit and vegetables. It has the added bonus of including wonderful recipes for using the products of one's efforts. The colour plates are also very attractive. However, I do have one criticism. I find the print size rather small and faint for me, and I have the frustration of having to use a magnifying glass. But then - that's a personal problem. I have no doubt that those with good eyes will gain a tremendous amount of enjoyment and instruction from "Food from your Garden". They won't be disappointed.

The Art of Illumination
The Art of Illumination
by Patricia Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars The Artist's Book of Inspiration, 17 Oct. 2009
Patricia Carter has done it again. I have just acquired this latest book and I am so thrilled with the content. Even the cover makes you want to get started on some new projects! She has included just a few of her drawings from her previous books, but there are so many new ideas. I find the book so enjoyable to browse through, and I find it so unputdownable. There is so much inspiration to be gained from Mrs Carter's beautiful illustrations and clear instructions, from the simple to the truly sublime. If you are a budding calligraphist like me - buy the book - and you will love it.