Profile for Lindsey > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Monoprice 10 x 6.25-Inch Graphic Drawing Tablet with 8 Hot Key
Monoprice 10 x 6.25-Inch Graphic Drawing Tablet with 8 Hot Key

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value for money, 1 July 2013
This tablet is large enough for comfortable drawing, and is mac compatible. (I had to buy an external CD drive for my macbook air, but the installation was simple and I don't need to have the disc constantly connected as I'd feared). The surface does show scratch marks after only a few uses, but these don't seem to affect the tablet at all, other than looking a bit less pristine. I haven't had any problems with my pen battery, like some other reviewers. It's been a few weeks and I haven't had to replace it yet.

I don't have a lot of use for the buttons, but they seem to work well enough. The button on the pen is equivalent to a left mouse click, but tapping gently produces the same result. The surface is mapped to your screen, so hand-eye co-ordination is easier.

Pressure sensitivity is excellent, so make sure you use a program which takes advantage of this. I recommend MangaStudio 5 (basically a better value, easier to use version of Photoshop).

I got a small wacom bamboo fun tablet on sale last year, but this is a much better purchase by far.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 25 May 2013
This dress is very good quality, the fabric and seams seem nice and strong and there weren't any flaws I could see. I'm between a 14 and 16, and the size 16 is just loose enough to wear with a blouse underneath. The ribbon-belt has a tendancy to fold, so I would recommend ironing the ribbon and then using a little hairspray or other stiffening agent on it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2013 12:27 AM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 25 May 2013
The dress comes to just below knee length, and is easy to put on thanks to the side zip and halterneck ribbons. The material is light enough that the dress is breatheable and comfortable, but heavy enough that the dress feels sturdy. The stitches and seams all seemed strong, and there weren't any flaws that I could see. I'd recommend wearing a petticoat underneath, to get a full-shaped skirt.

Unlike some of the other dresses sold by Sirens and Starlets, the sizes are quite generous. If you're between sizes, I'd recommend rounding down. I'm between a 14 and 16, and decided to order a 16 (XXL), which resulted in the dress being too large to wear. Fortunately the returns system is very easy and straightforward. I'll definitely buy a smaller size when available.

Twilight Theatre
Twilight Theatre
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Twilight Theatre (Audio CD)
I only recently started listening to PotF (mostly thanks to Alan Wake, I admit), and bought this album mostly because I'd heard a couple of the songs on it and liked them. As expected, all the songs on the album are haunting, deep and melodic, but in a way that is easy to listen to in any mood. There's a little booklet with lyrics, which is nice, and a bunch of hilarious jokes in the 'artists thanks' section. The album art is really cool, and the CD itself plays well, no glitches or scratches.

There's nothing for me to dislike about this album, in all honesty.

Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive Edition)[PS3]
Assassin's Creed III (Exclusive Edition)[PS3]
Offered by bnhlmt

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 4 Dec. 2012
The graphics are amazing, the storylines in both the modern era and the American Revolution are interesting, and the characters are endearing. I wish that the tutorial levels were shorter, and the actual story longer, but there are so many sidequests and missions to do that it's not that big a deal. There are some bad points, like weird glitches if you didn't get the day-one patches and missed opportunities plot-wise, but overall it's a damn good game. Fight sequences are brutal and awesome as expected, and it's obvious that the developers put in a lot of thought to the character animations- for example, even when standing still, Connor's body language is very different to Haytham's and Desmond's.

Tree running and ship battles are probably the most fun and interesting things to do in the game, and the optional objectives system has vastly improved the replay quality of the game compared to the others in the series. The chase scenes are far harder than they need to be, but most other missions are pretty well thought-out and rely more on skill than luck. It's a must-have for fans of the series but also lots of fun for newcomers, and could be enjoyed as a stand-alone game, too.

Bodum ASSAM Tea Maker (French Press System, Permanent Filter, Glass Handle, 0.5 L/17 oz) - Shiny
Offered by Redber

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not very long-lasting., 28 Oct. 2012
I bought this pot in August, and had to throw it out in October. The glass does not seem to be strong enough to withstand frequent use with boiling water, and so has gained a number of hairline cracks despite extremely careful handling. The spout is ok, but drips a lot if you pour at the wrong angle. The plunger system is superb, and I've had a lot of delicious cups of tea with this pot. Unfortunately it isn't very long-lasting, and for the price I expected much more use.

Alan Wake (Xbox 360)
Alan Wake (Xbox 360)
Offered by Galactico

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, compelling action, 13 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Alan Wake (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Alan Wake is one of the best games I have ever played. Honestly, there's not a whole lot more I can say about that.

There are several layers to the game- firstly, it's a unique third-person shooter for the most part. The idea of fighting using light is interesting and is pulled off spectacularly. It has an interesting plot, where there are unanswered questions after the game is ended, but not in a bad way. Those unanswered questions are food for thought allowing the player to make up their own minds about the events of the game.

Occasionally, this game is insanely frustrating- the 'War' warehouse level in particular- but generally it's a winning mixture of challenging-but-pretty-straightforward. It deconstructs and examines our ideas of story-telling and art, and the power words can hold. Poets Of The Fall provide a lot of the music in-game, with fantastic results. The graphics are stunningly beautiful (well, mostly) and the characters are deep and compelling. What's not to love?

It also has a sort-of-sequel, available via Xbox Live- 'Alan Wake's American Nightmare'.

Hexwood
Hexwood
by Diana Wynne Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 16 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Hexwood (Paperback)
This book is brilliant. It's very complex, so you'll need more than one read through to fully understand and appreciate everything, and it's very different (though no less excellent) than Diana Wynne Jones' other books. This is mostly due to the book being sci-fi as opposed to fantasy. Most characters are referred to by several different names and it's only at the very end of the book that everything makes sense. So all in all, my kind of novel!

The only bad point is that this edition misses about six pages near the end of the book- it's still readable and understandable, but it really ought to be fixed.

THE MERLIN CONSPIRACY
THE MERLIN CONSPIRACY
by Diana Wynne Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly spellbinding, 1 Sept. 2012
This review is from: THE MERLIN CONSPIRACY (Paperback)
This book is an indirect sequel to Deep Secrets, though this fact isn't very well publicised. I ended up reading this first, but since this is technically a stand-alone book, I had no trouble diving right in. It takes place in a number of different universes, and the plot is pretty complex, involving time travel and things nobody in-story can quite understand (it's not a bad thing, I swear!). Despite that, it's an easy read, breathtakingly written, though as others have noted it does take a while to get to the climax. I only wish that there had been a little more epilogue- by this time I was very attached to the characters and didn't want to let them go. Actually, I'd have loved a sequel or two.

This is probably my favourite DWJ book, and like most of her novels, they are perfect for all ages. Adults will get a kick out of it, and older children will be entranced. Diana Wynne Jones' books made up a lot of my childhood, and all I can do is advise you to give this a try. You won't be disappointed. There are no loose plot ends, everything is explained brilliantly but not boringly, and I still love this book after my sixth or seventh read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2012 11:37 AM GMT

Amazing Spider-Man: Spider Island
Amazing Spider-Man: Spider Island
by Dan Slott

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 16 July 2012
This book was my first Spiderman comic, and it was awesome. I don't want to spoil the plot for you guys, so here's all I'm going to say:

Story-wise, it's sharp and interesting, with a couple of nice twists along the way. It's fast-paced so you don't get bored, but there's a barely-connected pre-prologue chapter and a weird intermission that break up the story, though they do add some background and a little more depth to the overall story. I felt the writing was pretty realistic, or at least by comic-book standards it was pretty realistic. There are, as expected, lots of quips and snarky comments, which is just what's needed to take the edge off some of the more squicky bits of the story. We see some Avengers and X-Men get involved, which is fun, but it would have been nice to see more of their battle scenes in the last third of the book.

Art-wise, it's brilliant, for the most part. However (in the main story) the pencils are very angular, occasionally resulting in impossible anatomy or really weird facial expressions- it's kind of a petty complaint though, as most of the art is spectacular. The side story and pre-prologue were over-shaded and kind of dark, but the art matched with the stories being told, so the overall effect was pretty cool.

This book is a must-have, especially for those new to Spider-Man. You won't regret buying this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4