Profile for Mrs J. Rayer > Reviews

Content by Mrs J. Rayer

Mrs J. Rayer

The Boy Who Could See Death
The Boy Who Could See Death

3.0 out of 5 stars I had already read Vacation -which I liked, but the title story is unnecessarily morbid and ..., 6 July 2015
I had already read Vacation -which I liked, but the title story is unnecessarily morbid and depressing. I prefer Sally's work when it has some hope.

A God in Ruins
A God in Ruins

4.0 out of 5 stars No life after life, 20 May 2015
This review is from: A God in Ruins (Kindle Edition)
At first I thought that is was not going to be in the style of Life after Life and that was a little disappointing. Finally I realise that it is.
Since I l have lived through these times I found many references to things I knew. I was a member of the woodcraft Folk in the fifties and had new age contacts in the seventies, but the tone was less optimistic than the previous book. The description of life in Bomber command was rather harrowing.
This is more like the Jackson Brodie books.

Instances of the Number 3
Instances of the Number 3

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather miserable and unlikely -, 10 Jun. 2014
However I have not finished it. Because I live in the area described in the boom I find the references a little distracting .

Dancing Backwards
Dancing Backwards

4.0 out of 5 stars Dancing can be dangerous, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Dancing Backwards (Kindle Edition)
I read this book very quickly. It was fascinating and the ending was very satisfactory . How to pass the time on an Atlantic crossing.

Shirley
Shirley

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but long and wordy, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Shirley (Kindle Edition)
This novel is very interesting because it is contemporary with the problems of introducing new machinery to mills and the state of England at the time of the Napoleon
The descriptions of Caroline's feelings are over elaborate and the occasional introduction of French an affectation .
However the story is good if predictable towards the end

Stop Snoring, Anti snoring, Snorewizard. NHS recommended.
Stop Snoring, Anti snoring, Snorewizard. NHS recommended.
Offered by Fast Systems

2.0 out of 5 stars It was not suitable for my mouth shape, 27 May 2013
The product could not fit in my mouth and allow me to close my mouth. I do have protruding teeth and my upper and lower jaws do not meet normally . It was unsuitable but I have received a prompt refund. This cost me £3.00 in return postage.

The Last Runaway (Special edition)
The Last Runaway (Special edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Underground Railway, 3 April 2013
I learned a lot about the Quakers in Ohio in the 1850.s I liked the references to quilting and the comparison of English and American quilting . I did not know much about the Underground Railway for escaping slaves beforehand. However the links to history were a little less than in previous books.
The story moved quite fast and has a satisfactory ending ,It made me realise how much of a pioneering place it was at that time.
Honor, Belle and Mrs Reed and the countryside are well described but the men are more sketchy.
I would recommend this book to anyone interested in American history ,The Quaker movement and quilting