Profile for John Reader > Reviews

Content by John Reader

John Reader

SANTANA BLACK HIGH BACK EXECUTIVE OFFICE CHAIR LEATHER SWIVEL, RECLINE, ROCKER COMPUTER DESK FURNITURE
Offered by SonicOnline

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine for a short term fix., 6 April 2015
Arrived promptly and was easy to put together. It is quite comfortable and the recline angle is good. However, I've had it for a couple of weeks and it's already showing signs of wear on the arms, where it fits under my desk. I don't think this will last very long before it needs replacing...

Apple iPhone 5 - 16GB Black - SIM Free
Apple iPhone 5 - 16GB Black - SIM Free

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish functional and easy to use, 10 April 2013
I've had a love hate relationship with Apple products. I appreciate the quality but the expense has always put me off. Having said that the opportunity to upgrade my phone came along and I decided to opt for the Apple iPhone Five.

The first thing I noticed was how smooth and intuitive the operating system is. In fact my previous HTC android phone seems positively clunky in comparison. There were many features on the HTC that I just didn't use, primarily because they were just too complicated to set up. (If you're a 'techie' I'm sure it's quite easy, but I'm not) The upshot of this is that i'm using far more functions on the iPhone than I ever did on the HTC and therefore, getting far greater value for money than I did before.

My biggest concern before having the iPhone was the size of the screen, because my HTC screen was quite a lot larger and I had trouble with my fat fingers pressing the right keys when typing! I needn't have worried because the screen on the keyboard seems to work so much better and more accurately than the one on the HTC. Quite how they have achieved this I'm not sure, but it works!

On a similar note, the voice recognition system is amazing - this whole review has been done using voice recognition and I've had to make very few amendments.

To summarise, I've had the iPhone 5 now for three weeks and I can safely say that I will not be going back to android any time soon.

SPIGEN SGP new iPhone 5C / 5 Screen Protector GLAS.tR Premium Tempered Glass
SPIGEN SGP new iPhone 5C / 5 Screen Protector GLAS.tR Premium Tempered Glass
Offered by Keep in Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Very neat., 12 Mar. 2013
I bought his along with the Spigen Neo Hybrid EX Metal Series case and hoped that it would fit - it does! Like other reviewers here, I found the application a little fiddly, primarily because I couldn't wait to fit it - you need to take your time to get it right! However, you do get more than one shot at it, despite what others say.

This is how I did it, but it's in no way an official recommendation!

First, use the supplied alcohol swab to clean any dust on the iPhone screen. Then, mix a little washing up liquid with some water and smear a very small amount over the iPhone screen and the back side of the protector, you will be able to position the protector more or less in to place, then slide it into its final position. Use the squeegie (supplied) to squeeze the excess liquid from between the screen and the protector (from the centre towards the edges) and most of the bubbles, if any, will disappear. Don't be too concerned if there are any small bubbles left, as they will also disappear over a few hours, as any remaining liquid dries out.

The protector looks perfect and doesn't in any way diminish the screen colours, or the touch screen sensitivity. It's expensive, but worth every penny.

SPIGEN SGP Case Neo Hybrid EX Metal Series for iPhone 5 / 5S Gun Metal Color
SPIGEN SGP Case Neo Hybrid EX Metal Series for iPhone 5 / 5S Gun Metal Color

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to fit & looks great!, 12 Mar. 2013
I bought this along with the Spigen GLAS.tR screen protector, because it retains the slimline appearance of the iPhone. It is robust and has no negative effect on the wifi signal, unlike some of the cheaper cases available. Buy this with confidence.

Shantaram
Shantaram
by Gregory David Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Confused?, 3 April 2007
This review is from: Shantaram (Paperback)
Hmmm...I've read with interest the reviews of this book and I think that you'll agree they are somewhat polarised!

My reading tastes are quite varied, from the Classics to Alex Garland and although I will try to be as objective as possible, the fact is that I really enjoyed this book.

Firstly, I am motivated to write a review for this book because I am at a loss as to how anyone could so vehemently be opposed to it without having an axe to grind with the author, (as opposed to reviewing the actual story), but predominantly because, like other reviewers here, I absolutely loved it and naturally want to share my enthusiasm and recommend it to others.

For me, Shantaram is a truly engaging read. It is exceptionally well paced and will take you on a journey that will, at times, leave you breathless and unable to turn the pages quickly enough. The authors' consummate depiction of character, place and drama will absorb you entirely in a relentless mÍlée between the most noble and absolute base capabilities of human nature. Love, loathing, beauty, repugnance, tenderness and brutality - it's all here, in spades. However, there are two sections of this book which will enable you to catch up and assimilate, placed roughly at intervals between the first and second third of the narrative, and again between the second and third section. Believe me, you'll need these opportunities to relax a little.

The story of Lin, his travels, trials, dilemma and relationships with the individuals within the book are both enthralling and captivating in extremis. I would make claim that it is easily placed in my top five `you must read this' books. Such is my enthusiasm for this tome, I have bought several copies of Shantaram as gifts for friends and family, as I wouldn't dream of lending it to anyone, lest it not be returned!

He is certainly neither romantic, nor quixotic with regard to his immoral and corrupt past and, if you have any capacity for considered judgement, it is clear that he is not a merely one-dimensional character. If you find that you have no empathy with Lin, who has indeed led a fairly intense and criminal life, then you have either a very modest imagination, or are just a tiny bit dead inside.

As for the ending, well, I didn't find it disappointing, or that it `fizzled out' in the least. If you want a definitive conclusion to every storyline, then stick to Andy McNab, or the Hollywood film industry. The art of great entertainment is to have both thoroughly enjoyed the experience and to be left wanting more - I can't wait for further output from Gregory David Roberts.

So, "if you read only one book this year", make sure it's Shantaram.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2010 4:57 PM BST