Profile for smudjer > Reviews

LATE NIGHT TALES JON HOPKINS
LATE NIGHT TALES JON HOPKINS
Offered by Leisurezone

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 6 Mar. 2015
I pre-ordered this on vinyl and cd from LateNightTales website. One benefit is you get it a week before the official release. Another benefit is you occasionally get a little extra with your order, which isn't generally available. I also purchased signed copies of the record and cd from recordstore uk, but they are limited so get in early. The compilation itself is simply stunning, from beginning to the spoken word final track delivered on this occasion by Rick Holland. I believe it took six months to put together, and Jon Hopkins has said it was a project he was hoping to be asked to do. So, it shouldn't be a surprise, that the finished product sounds so good or that it raises the bar again of the already very high standard set during the series. If you want a listen to it, it is streaming free for a very short time at LateNightTales and many of the tracks can be found on their YouTube link. I think it is the best compilation I have listened to for a long time and I'm already looking forward to the next releases both by Jon Hopkins and from LateNightTales.

Late Night Tales: Franz Ferdinand
Late Night Tales: Franz Ferdinand

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best of the releases to date?, 15 Sept. 2014
The LateNightTales series has set a new benchmark for compilations over the years and this latest offering is no exception. In my opinion this could well be the best release by the label to date. The tracks flow effortlessly together and it's an experience that I found easy to enjoy instantly. There is some very well known tracks here as well as two exclusive tracks by Franz Ferdinand and Alex Kapranos, who provides the story which signals the final track. No sooner had Alex finished his story, the disc was being replayed, but the variety of tracks ensure you will want to listen to it over and over again.

Late Night Tales presents AFTER DARK : Nightshift
Late Night Tales presents AFTER DARK : Nightshift
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars, but don't take my word for it., 4 Aug. 2014
I think the first thing to understand about the After Dark releases is that they represent a new and developing branch of the LateNightTales series, this collection is the second release and I understand a third is planned for Summer 2015. The LateNightTales series has become the best collection of compilations money can buy in the last ten years or so, blending old and new tracks across many genres and The After Dark series looks set to do the same. Listen to the samples on this site, or easily available on social media or on the LateNightTales website, then you won't have to take my word for it before you buy.

Northern Exposure: Expeditions
Northern Exposure: Expeditions

5.0 out of 5 stars Has perhaps lasted better than it's forerunners, 24 Nov. 2013
I bought the three Northern Exposure CDs at the time of release. Recently I bought them all again. All three were excellent releases, you realise that with the passage of time. I was never able to figure out which was the best 1 or 2, sometimes I felt the first release was the best, other times the second release seemed a more fluid experience. I was clear that the third release, though good was the weakest, it seemed to have fewer grab you tracks. But when I re-played them all recently, I was surprised that this release now might be the best of all. Perhaps it's just me, but I found I enjoyed rediscovering this release much more than the first two. It may just be that I played 1 and 2 so much when they were released, but this final release seems to have grown on me with time. In any case all of these CDs are likely to make a deep impression on a first time listener, the sheer quality of them is unrivalled even after all this time.

Praktica W9 21x21 Ultra Compact Micro Zoom Binoculars - Black/Silver
Praktica W9 21x21 Ultra Compact Micro Zoom Binoculars - Black/Silver

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 30 Dec. 2012
I bought these for my children who have become somewhat interested in birdwatching. I suppose for a first pair of bins for a child they are ok, after all they are light and they were cheap. But they are not great to use and when focusing just as the image starts to sharpen another very slight turn takes the image back out of focus. They might be ok for watching birds in a garden but beyond that I don't find them much use. Better than nothing, just.

A Sudden Dawn: A Martial Arts Novel: 1
A Sudden Dawn: A Martial Arts Novel: 1
by Goran Powell

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly great read, 27 Dec. 2012
Let me start by saying I am not a follower of ' the way' nor am I involved in martial arts. But this book is a very good read and has enough story and meaning to be worth revisiting time and time again. Beautifully written it is easy to read and understand, I found it difficult to put down and I loved the authors writing style. Needless to say I also bought 'Waking Dragons' also by Powell and thoroughly enjoyed that too. These books rate among the best I have read. I rarely review my purchases but this story in particular is worthy of praise. I only wish my comments could reflect the quality of the book.

Dermot O'Leary Presents The Saturday Sessions
Dermot O'Leary Presents The Saturday Sessions

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 24 Oct. 2010
i don't usually do reviews so forgive me if it's not very useful. i think this is probably the best compilation album for quite a time. i've played it a few times now and it definitely leaves you wanting more. many of the tracks are cover versions which can be a fairly mixed bag usually, but all of these are very, very good. i wouldn't normally listen to some of the artists included which makes it all the more enjoyable and surprising. it's very difficult to imagine a better collection, perfect for late night or lazy sundays. this is the second in the series and if the first is even better then that must be one hell of an album. try it you just might like it.

Monkey: Journey To The West
Monkey: Journey To The West
Offered by Global_Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars An open mind helps, 22 Aug. 2008
I am a fan of the Gorillaz albums, but knew i was in for something different here. The cd is very nicely packaged with some lovely artwork and a small booklet with lyrics and production notes. Having read some of the mixed reviews already here i tried to approach my first listen with an open mind. After the first couple of tracks i decided to visit the official website while i listened. For anyone not familiar with the story (i knew very little) the website is a must as it tells the background story and has some great features including artwork downloads, a personality test. and more, and i think it enriched my listening experience. I enjoyed the cd and it's easy to see why the story is so popular. I think this album will continue to divide opinion but in the fullness of time it will be considered to be one of Albarns best pieces of work.