Profile for Fiona > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Voice of the Sword: Book One of the "Sword, Mirror, Jewel" Trilogy: Volume 1
Voice of the Sword: Book One of the "Sword, Mirror, Jewel" Trilogy: Volume 1
by John Paul Catton

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful cover, well written, fast paced story with action and humour., 1 April 2017
I was given this as a gift, which I was please about. The first thing to note is that this is the first book in a trilogy. All have striking, glossy covers and the artist (Stephanie White according to the info at the front) is to be highly commended.
I have read previous John Paul Catton books – “Kitsune (Time Hunter 4” which I quite liked and “Moonlight, Murder and Machinery,” which I thought was aimed more at children (and thus not my usual reading material). While this being ostensibly a Young Adult book I found it very readable and at times hard to put down.
The story moves along with the usual fast pace and descriptive writing I had noted with John Paul Catton’s previous books. The main character is well observed, a sort of Japanese Buffy-type schoolgirl, who complete with her own Scooby gang battles against some monsters from Japanese mythology. Again the story is multi-faceted; as well as the Japanese mythology and cultural references there is other worldly sci-fi, plenty of action as well as touches of humour.
I am not going to give any details to spoil the plot but suffice it to say if you have a soft spot for any of the topics I have mentioned above give this a go.

il commissario montalbano - la piramide di fango DVD Italian Import
il commissario montalbano - la piramide di fango DVD Italian Import
Offered by marvelio-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars The usual high standard episode., 10 Jan. 2017
As always I find Italian DVDs to be very good picture quality. After almost 20 years still the same police officers - it seems no one gets promoted or heaven's forbid seriously injured (though I have my finger's crossed that someone fatally shoots Catarella) although Galluzzo seems to have fallen from grace to only a minor part (and I miss Gallo but not Tortorelli or whatever his name was). Only Livia seems to go through multiple changes, this one being an improvement on the last. If Galluzzo had featured more prominently I would have given it 5 stars. To say more would verge on spoilers.

salvo d'acquisto (2 dvd) dvd Italian Import
salvo d'acquisto (2 dvd) dvd Italian Import
Dvd ~ beppe fiorello
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars 2003 TV movie of a real Italian hero., 7 Feb. 2016
This TV movie is directed by Alberto Sironi, the chap that does the original Inspector Montabano series and as with some of his other movies features actors/actresses who have also been in this series, most notably here Bianca Maria D'Amato (who also starred in his 2000 film "Il Furto Del Tesoro and was Anna, friend of Montalbano in "The Artist's Touch, "Voice of the Violin") and Luigi Maria Burruano (The Artist's Touch). Davide Lo Verde (Galluzzo) makes a fleeting appearance on a couple of occasions.

This is the story of Salvo D'Acquisto's life from the outbreak of World War II. Despite being a war film it is suitable for most of the family (the usual war type violence, a touch of romance but no real sex and violence). Worth watching to find out about an ordinary man's sacrifice.

In Italian (obviously), no English subtitles (don't think there are any Italian subtitles either).

Distretto Di Polizia - Stagione 02 (6 Dvd)
Distretto Di Polizia - Stagione 02 (6 Dvd)
Dvd ~ Simone Corrente
Offered by marvelio-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Italian Crime Drama (though not perhaps as dramatic as some others), 4 Jan. 2016
This is DVD is of excellent picture quality. There are no subtitles (in any language) though it has have the obligatory extra features. It also has one of those theme songs that you might find going round and round your head for the next few days. Overall it has not the whimsy or charm of Inspector Montalbano nor the gloss and violence of Squadra Antimafia. It has a slightly dated feel for me of a 1970's drama suitable for the whole family to watch. Although at times this family viewing verged on the slightly boring and I found my concentration wondering and I admit I skipped a couple of episodes. On the improbability front how does someone get shot several times at point blank range and survive more or less unscathed? It does have one heavily signposted occurrence, however it also does have an event towards the end that did take me by surprise.

Italian DVD's do confuse me as regards to credits - people seemed to be listed in various episodes of a series despite the fact that they only appear in one. I bought this as it features Davide Lo Verde from Inspector Montalbano. He appears in the credits of about episode 17 onwards to episode 24 but only features in episode 18, but worth the purchase just for this.

Fruit Of The Loom Men's SS021M T-Shirt, Brown-Brown (Chocolate), X-Large
Fruit Of The Loom Men's SS021M T-Shirt, Brown-Brown (Chocolate), X-Large
Offered by i-Promise

4.0 out of 5 stars Man's T-shirt of variable quality., 4 Jan. 2016
I bought a blue one of these for a friend in November and they liked it so much they asked me to buy another one. They thought the quality was better than other T-shirts they had bought (Primark, M&S etc) and was a good fit.

However, the second one I bought was not quite the same quality as the first as it was slightly puckered around the neck and there was a mark all the way down the front, not sure whether it was a dye line or a fault in the weave. So not sure if we shall be buying any more in the future.

Zicac Ladies' Boho Tassels Cloak Hooded Geometric Pattern Knit Cloak Pashmina Scarves Wraps with Toggle Button Closed Mothers Day Gift (Brown)
Offered by kastonecorp

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for warding off a chilly evening etc, 19 Sept. 2015
bought this as a present for my niece at her request and she loves it. £5 for p&p is quite excessive considering the weight ( it is lighter than expected) compared to p&p paid for other items, hence the 4 stars, but it fits my niece perfectly and she has no complaints, which is the main thing.

il furto del tesoro di s. pietro (2 dvd) dvd Italian Import
il furto del tesoro di s. pietro (2 dvd) dvd Italian Import
Dvd ~ luca zingaretti
Offered by VECOSELL

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality Italian film., 14 Sept. 2015
This is good period drama starring Luca Zingaretti aka Inspector Montalbano, indeed Davide Lo Verde (the wonderful Galluzzo) also has a small part and I spotted a few other faces I recognised as guest stars from that series.
For a 2 disc DVD (just about 4 hours) this is good value for an enjoyable film. It is in letterbox format but I always switch my TV to zoom and the picture quality is excellent. There are no subtitles, however in any language, hence only 4 stars, but otherwise it has everything you would want for an evening settled in front to the telly.

Chic Bowknot Jewelry Necklace Ring Earring Package Box Gift Case Display Holder Pink
Offered by DDU UK (ships from China)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for giving jewelry, 1 Aug. 2015
Was really pleased with this little box. I had bought a bracelet for my niece's birthday but the shop could not supply a box, however found this one and was a little dubious at first as compared to others on offer this is such a good price - and with p&p inclusive. Despite coming all the way from China it arrived in good time for the birthday, in excellent condition as was well wrapped/padded. Would definitely buy again if in a similar situation. I understand the boxes also come in other colours. There is a little insert with slots for ear-rings etc which I took out and replaced it upside down as bedding for the bracelet and it was perfect.

Hoover Spirit SP2102 Upright Vacuum Cleaner with Pets Tool - 2100 Watt
Hoover Spirit SP2102 Upright Vacuum Cleaner with Pets Tool - 2100 Watt

5.0 out of 5 stars Good suction, clean carpets, good noise level., 4 May 2015
glad I managed to buy this before the European people changed the regulations. I don't have a good track record with vacuum cleaners in that I manage to break them (sucking up wet wallpaper - not a good idea - clogs it), but so far, so good, the suction is great and my carpets have never been so clean. Have not got the hang of the blind cleaner bit tho, and it is not as noisy as I feared (or as a dyson). Emptying so easy and straight in the compost bin.

Evostick Impact Adhesive Multi Purpose High Quality Fast Drying 32g
Evostick Impact Adhesive Multi Purpose High Quality Fast Drying 32g
Offered by Stewart and Gibson Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars so far a 50% success rate., 4 May 2015
bought this to put up some items outside my house, not wanting to drill into the bricks (I have previously put up shelves and curtain rails with drills, so it was not that I cannot do drilling, just did not want to), at first it seemed not to want to take as the solar lamp I tried to glue was a bit top heavy so I took the top off and also steadied with it some tape. I had also packed the base with layers of glued cardboard to increase the surface area. Next day it was still in place, so very pleased as it had been a very windy night and my drive way is like a wind tunnel. Second lamp, not so successful. Will keep trying as once the first lamp up it was very solid, not very messy and no crumbling brickwork.
Comment Comment | Permalink